New guy ...need calling advice.

NE Ohioan here having a hard time with coyotes "hanging up" on e-caller when coming downwind requires exposing themselves in open fields etc. They reply back and forth with my caller but stay upwind in the woods a couple hundred yards. I've had success with 3 of them on this property and the last one I left 11 of the 12 responders as educated survivors. I had a bolt gun that night, but since have patterned my SG for a 2nd attempt...but as mentioned I've made them wiser to my calling sequence. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

I only have access to their stomping grounds from 3 of 4 sides of 45 acres(no hunting zone) so I guess I will have to continue trying to find that 1 new call that works on them...

If you call the same area on a frequent basis, the coyotes will become wise very quickly. Switching sounds, night hunty(if legal) and going into the cover and calling could help. If it is a wooded area and you have tree stands for deer in the area, I would consider using those to give you a better view if you are going to try calling them in the woods. Don’t attempt to call them unless the wind is in your favor.

Maybe see if you can put a shooter in closer to where they hang up, stay back and call.Have the shooter sit tight for 15 or 20 minutes after you stop calling, they sometimes sneak in.

I have been using a two man stand on that property. The wind was favorable again tonight so I attempted it again....I Started sequence with Male howl... nothing, female howl....30 secs later I hear a bark and screech...about 150 yds through woods...I switch to pups in distress and she( I think is female of the original pair I called and I killed her male partner out of same stand 3 weeks ago)...she keeps running an arc around e caller trying to get downwind but backing off about 50 yds short of entering a field and clear shooting lane for me...she just keeps barking even after I shut caller down. Tried shutting down red lights and she just kept going on and on...got out of stand as she sounded like getting farther away...as soon as stepped on a stick she came running back to the adjacent woods and started all over again...I tried shining red light into woods but never caught eyes anywhere...I went in house with caller and came back out after about 1/2 hour and she was in same woods still bark screeching...

Obviously she sees the red light or remembers “the tragedy” ...The 2nd I hit a distress call she normally takes off...
Maybe I’m wrong and this a male that’s territorial...IDK
Open to more ideas, but my folks only own 50 yds into the woods against a fence(where I’ve called and shot 3 so far.
The wind usually blows towards the woods, so I have only hunted it when the rare occasion it switches away from the woods into their huge grass backyard...
I have a building I normally shoot from 200 yd rifle range so I’ve thought about putting caller at 100 yd mark with some kind of coyote urine and a decoy and see if that will get me a shot at this one.

Originally Posted By: masshunterMaybe see if you can put a shooter in closer to where they hang up, stay back and call.Have the shooter sit tight for 15 or 20 minutes after you stop calling, they sometimes sneak in. This is a good idea, but I only have access to 50 yds in the woods there. I think they are seeing my red lights before I see them and they try to get downwind of me. I'm sure she's been in range, but must not be looking at me or something because I've yet to detect her eyes moving in between the trees even though I hear her running within 100 yds. I need some advice on how to get her come into the open grass while I sit downwind 100 yds with red light.

Sounds like you've been "busted". This often happens when you've over called a place. That bark/screech is to warn any coyote within earshot that there is danger present and to not come there.

Originally Posted By: Driven2tri24Sounds like I just need to give that place a rest and try down the road in a more favorable location.

Sounds like there are a few things going on here, all at the same time. First off, you might be over calling it. Too many trips too often and they start to get skittish. There's no way to know that these are exactly the same coyotes from each encounter, but they might still be hearing the calls, and probably are with as small as the location is.

It is also that time of year when coyotes shift their focus from feeding to breeding. They get weird. Sometimes challenge howls can work. I usually throw out a howl then sit quietly. If they respond, I respond with the same kind of howl they responded with. This can get them either looking to hook up or they want to come out and fight. Pup distress calls may/may not work at this time since puppies are not in the den yet.

As some of the guys recommended, try calls that they are not used to hearing. I will throw out a howl and run rodent squeaks while I am waiting to give them something to focus on.

Next is your stand set up. I set up so that the wind is off of one shoulder or the other, with the call out ahead of me anywhere out to 100 yards. Most of the coyotes I see come in and circle downwind to get a sniff and look. But they don't always approach from downwind. Many try to circle the call. So setting it out ahead of me will either get them lined up over the call over 100 yards out or they circle underneath me and are now inside of 100 yards. Yes, two people might help, but it also can hurt because it can increase the size of your scent cone. If you set up right, there is no reason that you running solo couldn't be productive.

Personally, I would let the area cool off for a couple, three weeks before trying again.

Ive had consistent success with a Male Howl, one answers usually but if not then I try a Female answer. So far this has worked and one or more has closed the distance to me to around 100 yds inside the woods When they wont come in...I tried cottontail, rodent squeaks etc..only one that works is pup in distress. Of course this sends it into a panic and it starts running back and forth 100 yds away barking/screeching.
Wind has been from my left into an open grass field. I'm just having a hard time seeing them when they run along the field/wood line to get downwind.
I am going to try moving caller to 50 yds from edge of wood
line downwind and I'll sit 200 yds further downwind against a lone pine in that grass field. I plan on dragging a rag from the caller to my location in hopes it stops to smell it whenever it crosses downwind of the decoy or do think this is a waste of time?

Tried again tonight on the wood line. Setup and as I waited for dusk. Called with a lone male Howl and heard a group start yip/howling off to my left. About 20 secs later the single female I’ve beem getting bark/screeched...sounded off from where she has been staying back...The group howled back and she ran towards them and I could hear them running off...I called another lone howl and she came back and started barking at me. I switched to Bay bee CT and she left..went back to where she started and woul bark every 5 mins or so. I tried pup in distress and she came closeer but wouldn’t leave the wood lot she seems to be calling home.
I’m about 90% sure this the same female that got away from me when I killed the male that was with her.. I don’t hear pups in the wood lot she’ s living in, it’ll be awhile before wind is favorable there again. Sure would like to kill her as she’s really messing up my ability to kill other group as well.

I had a similar situation happen. When they started to yip/howling I gave the same thing back to them. Then they went silent. Nothing for about 5 minutes. Then all of a sudden a male started barking at us. So I used the Foxpro to bark back at him. Everytime he stared barking I was barking. If he went silent I went silent. This went on for a good 7-8 minutes. The whole time he was barking he was running back and forth in the woods. Then he goes silent again so I go silent. Then all of a sudden he steps out to the tree line and sits down. No barking nothing. My brother shoots him square in the chest. DRT. I'm no expert, but it worked. You might want to try it in the daytime. Maybe try a coyote decoy also. I know a lot of guys don't like using decoys, but my brother and I have had some really good luck with it. Why only one coyote when we know there was more on this stand I don't know. Maybe we got busted. One was better than nothing. I've had some success thinking outside the box and I mean really thinking outside the box. You can only learn so much off forums, youtube, and tv shows. Whether I do something right or wrong I keep plugging away. The people on this forum are great for help even though they won't give away all of their secrets.LOL But at least it can point you in the right direction. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice...I'm going to give it a break for a little while and do as you suggested by trying a little earlier in the daytime. I think I'll try to bring a friend to be the shooter and put him ahead of the caller about 3-500yds inside the woods from myself and the caller..

Back