Question for Colorado Coyote Hunters

Just getting ready to leave tomarrow for the annual Elk hunt in Colorado and I was reading the small game regs. I havn't seen anything for or against electronis callers yet. I also have not seen anything preventing the use of rifles smaller than .23 during the big game season I'm throwing in the 22mag and the Varminter .223 just in case I get lucky early and have some time to kill. I'd like to get one of those Colorado Coyotes to mount.

If I'm reading the regs correctly I can Coyote hunt with my elk rifle (30.06) untill I tag an elk and I can hunt with a .223 or 22 mag afterwards. I can only assume that E-callers are leagle. Any insight from you locals would be appreciated. I have missed the fine print before.

thanks

The thing that some hunters don't understand in the regs is that any hunter with an unfilled big game tag can hunt coyotes without a small game tag. Once you fill your big game tag you will need a small game license to hunt coyotes and must use a .22 cal or smaller. The electronic caller is ok for the the coyotes but not for elk.

Thanks for the confirmatio. I have one more question that I saw in another post that I have not though of yet. Is there a restriction on the size of my clip? I have a 5 round I can use If I have to.

Quote:
Once you fill your big game tag you will need a small game license to hunt coyotes and must use a .22 cal or smaller.

Actually, thats .23 cal
or smaller

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gifPaul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Mag capacity for small game--non-migratory no restriction. Bunnies, Coyotes, Prairie Dogs, 30 round mags.... Ducks, Doves etc. 3 rounds.

Also minimum caliber for small game is .22 also. No .17's to hunt with in Colorado.

Pred Paul, that's right, those .230 guns are legal too!

Shot gun capcity for small game in CO is total of three, one in chamber and two in the mag. Same as for fed migratory rules. Since coyotes and other predators and furbearers are regulated as small game, I think the same applys as far as shotguns go to those animals. For rimfire and centerfire I don't recall seeing any limit in small game regs. Big game regs limit you to a capacity of five in the mag and one in the chamber for a total of six.

Why all the regs on coyotes ect?Here in MT you can shoot them with anything,anytime,anywhere and you dont need any liscence to do it.And what about the capacity regs?I can understand the waterfowl regs but for big game?There are no caliber or capacity regs for any of our game besides waterfowl.

.243 is the low end limit for big game, and .22 the low end for small game...no size limit for shotgunning...410 through 10 ga are legal.

As for restrictions on coyotes...well that is so the DOW gets their cut...My favorite reg is on bears...if you buy an over the counter bear tag, you MUST have a deer or elk tag as well for that season....

Thats right if you just want to hunt a bear but didn't get one of the limited draw tags, you have to buy a deer or elk tag as well...even if you don't want to hunt deer or elk. that way DOW gets some more $$$...The DOW in Colorado is a self funded agency...The more money they collect, the more money they keep....They Are Out Of Control!

Quote:
Why all the regs on coyotes ect?

There are really no restricting regs. Coyotes are open year round with no limit. You don't even need a licence if you only hunting private land.
You are limited during Big Game so to keep the guys with the 7mm Mags out of the field with no tag that say "we are Coyote hunting!"
Fur is not prime during these seasons anyway. And if it is prime in the high country around November, you really don't want to be anywhere near these idiots hunting big game with just camo on. They will SHOOT and worry about a tag for you later.
I like to start in the grasslands and work my way up high when the "Orange Vest Fest" has packed up and left.

Colorado Yote Hunters,

I just moved here from Germany, (Ramstein to US Air Force Academy). What a great area you all have here. However, I have to tell you that I am really struggling with the hunting out here. I've been out several times, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of anything. What makes it particularly frustrating is that I know there are some critters out there. I have seen two coyotes on base on the way to work, but they certainly don't want to come in or talk to me.

I have put MANY miles on around the front range here -- Out above Monument and all over the Rampart Range area. I hate to ask the fisherman where his favorite fishing hole is, but I could sure use some help. I'm having a heck of a dry spell. Maybe the public land is just seeing a lot of pressure. Seems to be the case for the big game as well. I see plenty of deer in town, but I have yet to see a SINGLE big game animal once I cross the forest boundary.

I have shot MANY critters back in Idaho, (where my roots are). I'm pretty deadly with the .17, we mostly just drive around back home until we see something then stop and shoot it... I have never been successful calling. I've even purchased some Gen 3 night vision to see if I would have any better luck in the dark. All I have gotten so far is an empty wallet and empty gas tank. If there are any members in the area that would be willing to give a new guy a few hints or a starting point, I would be forever indebted.

Thanks for the help,
Nate

NONYA...it's more of a regulating Big Game hunters vs regulating coyote hunting . Sort of keeping "party hunting" down to a mild roar if ya know what I mean.

Look at page 5 in the Colorado Small Game 2005 reg book.

In Colorado, there is NOT a restriction of .22 minimum caliber for small game. You can use a pellet or slingshot on small game mammals if you like.

The restriction of maximum .23 caliber centerfire is in effect during regular rifle deer and elk season west of I-25. East of I-25, you can use a 460 Nitro.

I don't where the info came from regarding (minimum .22), but if I am missing some small print somewhere, please let us know where it is in the regulations.

Yup...that's what I said....sorta /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back