Scope for 17 hornet

scrow

What power scope would be good for shooting a 17 hornet out to 300-350 yards. Thinking of a 4-14 or 4-16 any thoughts on a scope to look at

Originally Posted By: scrowWhat power scope would be good for shooting a 17 hornet out to 300-350 yards. Thinking of a 4-14 or 4-16 any thoughts on a scope to look at

I have a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 on one of my 17 Hornets and a Burris 4.5-14x42 on my other 17 Hornet. You could certainly go with more magnification but I like the power range of the 3-15X for a gun like this really well.

I'm typically not a real big fan of Vortex rifle scopes but I have three of those Razor HD LH 3-15x42 scopes and if you can find one for a decent price, I highly recommend them because they have very good optics and make for a really nice light weight setup on the little Hornet rifles like the CZ 527.

Also, if you are going to be shooting at small targets, like ground squirrels or PD's, at those ranges, I suggest getting something with parallax adjustment. I much prefer a scope with side focus versus one with an AO, just as long as it has some form of parallax adjustment.

Last edited:
I originally had a Burris 4.5-14X Fullfield on my CZ Varmint .17 Hornet I later swapped it for a 6.5-20X Vari-X III Leupold that I had laying around. The Leupold has the Varmint Hunters reticle which I like too.

While I made my longest squirrel shot (356 yards) with the Burris on it I like having that little be extra power when I want it.

If you were to lay your hands on an older Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 you certainly would be in good shape too.

I shoot mine with the Leupold vx3I 4.5x14 with the varmint hunter reticle and find it to be excellent for shooting little furry critters.
thumbup1.gif

Nikon pro staff 5 3.5x14 40 mm is my go to scope with the BDC the last couple years. I own 6. Crystal clear bright glass. Better glass than leupold mark 4’s I paid $1500 for.

You can normally get them around $260 power shopping on the net. Bought mine at a Cabela’s sale a year or so ago for $239.00 they retail around $360

Your not going to find a better optic for the money imo.

Last edited:
My Browning 17 Ackley Hornet has never had anything but a VX-III 3.5x10x50 mounted on it. Illuminated German #4 Dot reticle. Great setup for calling foxes at night or any low light, yet still good enough to handle groundhogs out to just over 300 yards. Great Scope.

I am a die hard LEUPOLD Scope fan, but I will not argue with the guy above about the clarity of those Nikon Pro Staff scopes, great scope for the money. Wish they made a German #4 Dot illuminated reticle, I would be tempted.

I am putting together the same gun/cartridge and wouldn’t think of anything less than 20 power. I’m planning on a Simmons 6-20 cuz I have one new in the box and it is what I run on my .22 Hornet. I’m blasting starlings, sparrows and pigeons.

Back