Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3203008 - 05/05/19 06:21 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
varhunter Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Montana, United States
My good day is how accurate was I. If I missed a bunch it's a bad day. Never shot on a big town of stupid prairie dogs so I've never had even a hundred round day but if I hit the majority of my shots, I'm good with it.

#3203513 - 05/12/19 08:20 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
Wyoming Winchester Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: WY
A good day is when you look in the shell box and 80-90% of the empties are, "dimple up".
I put them back neck up when I miss a dog.
No, you don't get to turn one over for a double.
Had one of those days today. Mother's Day Dogs.

#3203553 - 05/13/19 07:35 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: jetman]
jsh Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Kansas U.S. of A
[quote=jetman] A good day is when I don't get the plague from crawling around from mound to mound. Or stuck fast in gumbo.

Crawling around in a dog town, to eachs own I suppose.
Rattle snakes, cactus and ants ain’t what I want to crawl around with. The guys I hunt with would make sure I only did that once, lol.

#3205484 - 06/08/19 03:33 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
GaryC Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I just got back from a PD hunt and the shooting was great, pretty much something to shoot at steadily, there was never a time a PD wasn't in view. I shot about 1200 rounds over three days. I had four rifles, ran out of ammo on my 20 practical half way into the second day, and was rotating between the other three to keep the barrels cool the whole time, it was great.

My partners that carried AR's shot about twice what I did. I could have shot more but didn't want to torch my rifles and I was shooting steadily. I really don't see how someone could shoot more than about 400 rounds a day unless they're just flinging them. I do try to discipline myself and make good shots, and I'll turn down a 150 yd gimme to try and get one at 550 yds because I love the challenge of longer range.

#3205693 - 06/11/19 07:28 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
Acronin Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: NE
A good day of prairie dog hunting is hard to determine. I realize the OP is asking for our own individual opinions. I would have to say the hit% is way more important than the quantity. They go hand in hand of course, but I always try to shoot 60% knowing that I have to shoot well in the beginning when the dogs aren't scared and just peeking out of their holes from 250yds +.

Where I shoot you can sit in one spot for 30 minutes before you get a shot every 10-15 minutes. I've done it, but I'd rather crawl on my belly to the top of a hill and shoot without them realizing im there.

I suppose in a day if I can hit 60% of the shots I take, have a confirmed hit past 400 yds and kill 12 dogs an hour that's a pretty dang good day to me. Oh, and do it with handloads that I can look back at in satisfaction by their performance and accuracy. Sharing that moment with my daughters, son, father, brother or a pal is better than doing it solo.

Andy

#3274028 - 03/17/21 05:41 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: Acronin]
jb42 Offline

Loc: idaho
my best day 6/20 was 961 with 5 triples and 27 doubles with 527 cz 20vt it was a very liberal dog town!

#3274045 - 03/17/21 07:48 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: jb42]
B23 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Pacific NW
Originally Posted By: jb42
my best day 6/20 was 961 with 5 triples and 27 doubles with 527 cz 20vt it was a very liberal dog town!

Those are incredible numbers. Even if you take the doubles and triples out of it wouldn't that be something like shooting one PD per minute for nearly 15 hours straight? Or one PD every 30 seconds for 8 hours straight no breaks. rolleyes

Now that is some seriously HOT shooting and I can't believe the barrel wasn't completely roached out by mid day. That Sir is one awesome rifle you've got yourself! thumbup1

Edited by B23 (03/18/21 09:58 PM)

#3274079 - 03/18/21 09:13 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
wicka Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: South of Canada
Shooting the CZ 17 HMR on private property and never getting out of my truck last year and averaged 200 a day and nothing over 150 yds. Just driving the truck a bit and shooting repeat, repeat, repeat. Good solid hits with lots of aerial acrobats.

Edited by wicka (03/18/21 09:17 AM)

#3274265 - 03/20/21 08:51 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
jsh Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Kansas U.S. of A
961 in a day.......B23’s math is acceptable to my findings.
Let’s not forget loading magazines.
Oh, I suppose there were only two misses in that day as well.
I have questioned folks numbers before, it was met with lots of explanations.
I smell a fishing story, I bet the biggest dog of the day was 35” tall and weighed 29 pounds.

#3274270 - 03/20/21 09:25 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: jb42]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence

[/quote]

#3274276 - 03/20/21 10:37 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
jetman Online
Die Hard Member II

Loc: almost Canada
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YUP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#3274296 - 03/20/21 04:02 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: jsh]
B23 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: jsh

I smell a fishing story

Gotta give em credit though, if you're going to tell a "fish story" you may as well make it a real doozy! lol

But it's probably best to at least do the math before you hit "post". wink

#3275205 - 04/01/21 01:11 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: B23]
jb42 Offline

Loc: idaho
i used a counter hanging on my front rest to count hits. i use a 360 deg. swivel bench rest in the back of a daihatsu mini truck with atv tires and move often. on ranches that want them gone. i did fire 1100 rounds. went back the next day killed 561. i hang gun pointed down and put distilled water down the barrel and then run 4 or 5 dry patches. you won't believe the carbon that comes out. 1/2 that many is a average day. been doing this in the same area for 10 yrs. the ranchers find me other places to shoot pd so i and my 4 brothers will come back and shoot the towns we can't wipe out. we spend 10 to 20 days each year. more fun than poison.we only use low recoil guns so to see every hit.

#3275862 - 04/13/21 08:51 AM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: jb42]
B23 Offline
Die Hard Member III

i used a counter hanging on my front rest to count hits. i use a 360 deg. swivel bench rest in the back of a daihatsu mini truck with atv tires and move often. on ranches that want them gone. i did fire 1100 rounds. went back the next day killed 561. i hang gun pointed down and put distilled water down the barrel and then run 4 or 5 dry patches. you won't believe the carbon that comes out. 1/2 that many is a average day. been doing this in the same area for 10 yrs. the ranchers find me other places to shoot pd so i and my 4 brothers will come back and shoot the towns we can't wipe out. we spend 10 to 20 days each year. more fun than poison.we only use low recoil guns so to see every hit.

I don't care if you were pouring liquid helium down the barrel, the math just doesn't add up. Now, you're adding in that you "move often" which no matter how you slice the fish story just doesn't allow enough time in a day for one person to shoot that many PD's because nobody or their rifle is going to shoot a PD continuous none stop every 30-45 seconds for 8-12 hours straight with no breaks in order to achieve those kinds of numbers.

It's best to do some math before you make silly claims. Reminds me of another Ohio person that claims his Bmag shoots dime size groups at 100yds all the time everytime and with any and all ammo. crazy

#3277319 - 05/17/21 01:29 PM Re: What do you consider a good day for shooting prairie dogs? [Re: CRE10]
Al Hansen Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Utah
Any day out shooting P-dogs is a great day. Numbers don't matter. I recently shot southwest Wyoming and only shot 51 rounds for the entire day. Worth every second. I hunt Montana almost 3 weeks a year and shoot on some days new fields close to 300 rounds a day. Multiple guns switching out when they get warm. Clean at lunch and start over again in the afternoon. Worth every second. I love being out and seeing the beauty that surrounds us. I have taken friends out and I have only fired one or two rounds for the entire day to let them enjoy the experience. I have read others say to take 1000 rounds per day and I'm in agreement with the numbers just don't match up. We'll see what the shortages are going to do to the avid P-dog hunters. Getting ready to take off for Montana in a week or so and taking 2 20 Pracs, 1 .204 and a 17 HMR for close stuff. Probably about 4500 rounds for the first trip. I hope I don't shoot them all. Happy dogging to all you avid shooters. Pray for this country to heal so we can get back to normal.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.