East Texas Thermal wack and stack

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Mike Milli and his partner Matt from Dedicated Technologies (Dtech) was in town for a Shilen deal and wanted to get in on some hog action.

Venatic and I made some plans to come up with some thermal and some hunting ground, and we headed out before dark to make sure there guns were on (they were) and ride around to see what was moving.

Mike got his first ever hog with his .25 DTI at about 225 yards.

47411316282_a788c1a32b_z_d.jpg

We headed over to another place, and broke out thermal. After a little riding and looking, we put the stalk on a group of hogs. Mike got number 2 and 3 with the thermal on a 6.5 Creedmore.

47411507162_028ef4c911_z_d.jpg

40498413373_05f13d4dd9_z_d.jpg

A little later, we slipped up one some big hogs eating around a cattle lot. They were eating from round bales. Mike and Matt did a 1,2,3 count and the shooting commenced. The 2 we saw for the initial shots turned into a herd. They ended up getting 4 more. That brought the total to 9 hogs for the evening.

47464346651_bc20a00db3_z_d.jpg

40498413933_21b4d1982b_z_d.jpg

My estimate of the big boar was about 240-250 and the big sow about 175, with another 150 pound boar an then the 3 pigs.

I pulled the hams and back straps from the sow, and the backstrap from the smaller boar for them to take back with them.

After we had drug off carcasses from the lot, we make a stand hoping for a bobcat. Instead we had a text book coyote come in around the 2 minute mark and they double tapped him.

33587848958_50ef93af98_z_d.jpg

At that point, they tapped out since they had a long drive home later in the morning. We dropped them at their motel about 3am, and David and I headed home. I pulled into my drive way about 6am.

It was good to see Mike again, and am glad we were able to put them on some critters.

47464344871_f823e118a0_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding writeup and pics! Glad you guys had a good night. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Regards,
hm

Thanks to you and Venetac for showing Mike and Matt a great time. Mike is a great guy, and good to see him put that 25 DTI to good use.

All I can say is WOW! What a great time! I had been up since early the morning before, and both Matt and I had run out of steam, but when I climbed into bed around 4 AM, I still had hogs running through my head.

That coyote was the icing on the cake. Yellowhammer was standing with me and Venatic was with Matt. When we saw the eyes coming, Yellowhammer whispered: “when it stops, shoot”. Well, Venatic had given Matt identical instructions. The funny thing was that it wasn’t until we started walking over to recover the coyote that we realized that we had both shot! Sure enough, our latest kill had two holes in it’s front shoulder.... he didn’t suffer.

Venatic had told me on numerous occasions that if I ever got down to Texas he would take me out hunting...... I had no idea he and Yellowhammer would do it on such a grand scale.

Matt and I are hooked, and will be back!

Thanks again to Venatic and Yellowhammer for an epic evening!

Back