204 Ruger,Nosler bullets

I will be picking up a new addition to the stable.
A like new savage VLP Model 12 204 . Have 223 , 22-250 in the same Model 12 Savage and they all shoot great .Dont have dies and components just yet. Any suggestions on factory ammo ? For long range crow,woodchuck, and maybe a coyote or 10
wink.gif
. 32gr or 39 gr maybe ? 1:12 twist. Thanks

Originally Posted By: ironworkerEvery time I shoot a squirrel with 32 gr Nosler BTs the squirrel Blows up,what am I doing wrong ? LOL

I know you are just joking around but my first thought to "Every time I shoot a squirrel with 32 gr Nosler BTs the squirrel Blows up,what am I doing wrong ?" was, you're using a 204 Ruger to shoot squirrels is what you're doing wrong.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: ironworkerEvery time I shoot a squirrel with 32 gr Nosler BTs the squirrel Blows up,what am I doing wrong ? LOL

Nothing!!!

I'm definitely a big fan of "splat factor" so my vote is for whatever blows em up the best.
thumbup1.gif

Hmmm, wonder what those Hornady 24gr NTX bullets, launching at 4400 FPS, would do to Mr. Squirrel.

204 vs squirrel...wow. Just wow

Originally Posted By: MIvarminter50I will be picking up a new addition to the stable.
A like new savage VLP Model 12 204 . Have 223 , 22-250 in the same Model 12 Savage and they all shoot great .Dont have dies and components just yet. Any suggestions on factory ammo ? For long range crow,woodchuck, and maybe a coyote or 10
wink.gif
. 32gr or 39 gr maybe ? 1:12 twist. Thanks Depending on what long range is and what the wind is like there, i would say 39gr sbk’s (i think federal loads them but they arent very common from what ive found arround) or 45gr hornady sp’s. Not much splat with the 45s but they should do the job well. Maybe 40gr vmax if your rifle likes em. 1:12 twist is picky with 40 grainers. Iirc theres a vid of a guy shooting steel at 700ish yards with 32’s from a tikka on youtube. Crazy tight group also!

edit...500 yards and 40gr noslers in the first part of the vid. Keep watching and they get to the 32’s at 700. Still dam impressive though!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uiH1RhOdGWU

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MIvarminter50I will be picking up a new addition to the stable.
wink.gif

My arsenal of hog eliminators started in 2004 with a Marlin 25N in 22 LR and over time included a Marlin 60 22 LR, Marlin VSF 17 HMR, TC Encore 204, TC Venture 223, Savage VLP 12 22-250 and TC Venture 243. Used mostly various Hornady ballistic tipped ammo in the 32 to 40 gr range except for the 17 HMR that used 20 gr loads and the 243 which liked the 75 to 95 gr pills. Made a trip to PA to visit family last summer and got the chance to exercise my AR 6.5 Grendel. Devastating on hogs! This summer hope to try out my latest fun gun, a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6 Creedmoor. If I can make the trip I'll let you guys know how it performed.

Last edited:
wink.gif

I have that same M12 VLP Savage, it shoots the factory Hornady 40 gr VMax into bugeye groups at 126 yrds!!
Also have H335 load for the 39gr BT in my AR that shoots the same, as well as a Kimber Varmint!!

Back