17 Hornet Bullets

I received a CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Hornet for Xmas and finally got it glass bedded and scoped today. Shot it today with mixed results, Vmax 20 gr. averaged .357 for 3 3-shot groups. 25 gr. HP averaged .928 for 3 3-shot groups. I have no interest in hunting with the 20 gr. vmax Just wish the 25 gr. had been slightly better. What's everyone's average group size running on the 25 gr. ?

Originally Posted By: 9322magI received a CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Hornet for Xmas and finally got it glass bedded and scoped today. Shot it today with mixed results, Vmax 20 gr. averaged .357 for 3 3-shot groups. 25 gr. HP averaged .928 for 3 3-shot groups. I have no interest in hunting with the 20 gr. vmax Just wish the 25 gr. had been slightly better. What's everyone's average group size running on the 25 gr. ?

Congrats on the new 17 Hornet!

The 20gr Vmax ammo may not be your first choice but you may want to take a look at that video I found on youtube where the guy is shooting a 1/2 thick steel target with different 17 Hornet ammo because the 20gr Vmax ammo penetrated pretty deep into that steel target.

25 grain HP - Powder Valley and Wideners has them in stock as well.

Thanks for the kudos on the videos. If you haven't seen it, here is the CZ 17 Hornet blowing up rockchucks, suppressed and lots in slow-motion (20 grain VMax)!
Rockchuck Hunting – Suppressed – 17 Hornet

I'll be adding more videos next week. My 21yo daughter had major surgery a few weeks ago, so leading up to it was tough.

Last edited:
I found good performance from the 20 grain V-max at around 3400fps,when I got my first 17 Hornet brass was hard to find so I made some from 22 Hornet brass, it is thinner, so I backed them down a little and really liked it.

Its been a while since I shot paper with mine. If I remember right both the 20 gr. vax and the 25 gr. hollow point shot very similar out of mine. I was impressed with both.

I have the CZ VARMINTER 17 HH. I have to say with my 25gr.Hp reloads loaded slower then 3000FPS, I have not experienced anything but DRT with gray, and red fox. None, I mean none had fur damage. From 20yds to 135yds so far. I have shot coyotes with 20gr V-max, my 25gr. HP reloads and factory 25gr.HP again all DRT. One coyote that was shot with 20gr. V-max was hit just off dead center of chest at 120 plus yds. The round penetrated 17 inches thru his chest and blew a 1 1/2 inch hole out the opposite side of the chest after breaking the last two ribs. My farthest coyote was 235yds. Other then that coyote shot with the 20gr V-Max, There hasn't been any fur damage. Shot placement is more critical then it is with a larger caliber, but with set trigger and a lighted dot its easier. Coyote vitals are farther forward and smaller then most think.

First off I wish to say thank you for sharing your experiences with the 17HH. Thanks for the info on 2200. Also 25gr.hp targetsportUSA.COM

Originally Posted By: CWP/Thanks for all the replies.

Just a heads up, I don't know if Hornady is not going to make the 25 grain hollow points anymore or what. I looked on Midway USA, Hornady's website and a few others and couldn't find them anywhere.

Finally ended up finding some on Graf and Sons and they were marked down 15% so I ordered 300 of them. Hopefully there not phasing out there 17 stuff.

It was internet gossip but I've heard they are indeed discontinuing them.

FWIW....Channing Nagel makes some excellent 17cal HP's with 3 different meplats to choose from.

Back