Dedicated Bolt Action .308 and powder choices

TXCOONDOG

I have a 700 SPS in 308 (25” threaded barrel) and the suppressor adds 9.25” for a total barrel length of 34.25”. On the bench and open spaces, it’s fine but in a stand or getting out (in too) of the vehicle, it’s less than ideal. It is a tack driver with my handloads and do not want to cut the barrel down.

Looking for another bolt action 308 but with a 16” stainless barrel. I see Ruger has the Scout in 308 with a 16” ss threaded barrel so I’m looking for feedback (good, bad, and ugly).

Other rifle recommendations are welcome.
Note: It will be used mainly for hunting and a truck gun. Must be capiable of MOA at a minimum.

Since I’m just getting into the suppressor thing, need help (reloading) with powder choices, etc

My favorite powders for my 700 are Varget and RL15, but wondered with the shorter 16” barrel if I need to move to a faster powders for efficiency, etc ?

Just to be clear, I’m talking about supersonic loads.

Thanks in advance

Unless you really want that Ruger scout, or would be ok with a 16” rifle in carbon steel like the 700aac, Id just buy whatever rifle I really want and have it chopped and threaded at my desired length. In the last several years I’ve had my 20” Tikka CTR chopped to 18”, and 4 different T3 lites chopped back to 16.5 and 18”.

I sent the last one to Morgan at class 3 machining in Dallas, he did a good job at a very reasonable price. I’ve also sent rifles to LRI for threading, they do great work, but shipping both ways to SD is expensive. A good local gunsmith ought to be able to do them for $100 or so.

So I’d not let the factory barrel length dictate which rifle I buy, as pickings slim for 16” factory stainless rifle. If you’re ok with 18” and blued, there’s more options like the Bergara Ridge SP, Ruger American predator, weatherby vanguard Hbar..

One other idea, since you presumably like your other Remington 700 you could just buy a 700 SS action, remage barrel from NSS or elsewhere just like you want it and outfit it accordingly from there. I think you’ll have at least $1000 in a build like this, possibly $1200-1500 with a nice trigger and stock, so probably more expensive to go this route

I am not set on the Ruger scout if it’s not MOA capable......I’m sure opinions will vary, etc

More interested in the Ruger because of weight savings, threaded, 16” ss barrel, LOP adjustability, and forward mounted rail for a Aim Point.

However, accuracy and stainless is more of my focus.

I am in the buy once cry once crowd.

The Remington 700 20” stainless w/5R rifling peaks my interest and know a good smith that can cut, thread and bead blast it too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skinney44.5 grains of Varget with the 175HPBT SMK.

How long is the 175 HPBT SMK ?

The reason that I ask is because with 44gr of Varget and 165 SST with COL 2.750 (what my 700 likes) is slightly compressed in Laupa brass. So I assume that you are at least running a COL of 2.800”

I worked hard to get my ruger scout to shoot like some of my other 308 and just could not get it there.Consider building a howa (brownells) with there 2 stage trigger and barrel of your liking.MDT oryx has a new 1 piece chassis with buttstock killer set up.Budget minded as wel.They claim the receiver is blue printed.I have 2 howa I put together this way for just under 1000.00 and you have a pretty nice shooting custom rifle with your barrel length.

Picked up another 700 SPS varmint in .308 with a 26” barrel with 1:12 twist and cut it down to a 16”. Just got back from the range:

Varget powder
Fed 210 primer
165 gr SST
Laupa brass
COL: 2.750”

43gr = Avg velocities 2465 fps (my 700 SPS 308 with 25” barrel is 2669 fps) 5 shot group size 100yds 1.250”
43.5gr= lost the data. 5 shot group size 100yds 1.028”
44gr = Avg velocties 2526 fps ( 308 SPS with 25” barrel 2707 fps) 5 shot group size at 100 yds .425”

There is approxamately 18-20 fps per inch difference unsuppressed.

More refinement to be done, try my loads with a suppressor and I need to work up a load with 150grainers.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGOriginally Posted By: skinney44.5 grains of Varget with the 175HPBT SMK.

How long is the 175 HPBT SMK ?

The reason that I ask is because with 44gr of Varget and 165 SST with COL 2.750 (what my 700 likes) is slightly compressed in Laupa brass. So I assume that you are at least running a COL of 2.800”

Back