Best QUIET pellet gun for backyard pests

TripleDeuce660

Have a few pests terrorizing my back yard, so I am looking to get a pellet gun. The most important thing is it needs to be quiet. Budget is around 100. Prefer if it has irons as I know the cheap scopes on them suck, but I have a rimfire scope sitting around that I could use. Backyard is small, need to take a couple huge rats at only about 8 to 10 yards.It will serve no other purpose, so probably just 10 or 20 shots a year max. Do not care what caliber. No preference on pump, break action etc.. I only care that its quite, and a wounded rat doesn't run off and die where it stinks up my yard.

Seen a crossman F4 at walmart and it says its really quite on the box but who knows? Also saw 2 different ruger models at walmart. Not sure if these are any good. One of the rugers had a picatinny rail, so my scope is already in weaver rings and in theory would drop right on and that scopes parallax goes to 10 yards.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I had a break over air rifle,can't remember the maker now, but it was pretty loud. Something you might try is 22 CB's. They are really quiet in a rifle and don't have much power either. Just throwing out a cheap idea.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI had a break over air rifle,can't remember the maker now, but it was pretty loud. Something you might try is 22 CB's. They are really quiet in a rifle and don't have much power either. Just throwing out a cheap idea.

I thought of that too. Only .22lr I have at the moment is a 10/22 or revolver with 5" barrel. Thought maybe the colibri.

22 cb's are very quiet in my rifles....maybe better than some air rifles? Accuracy was maybe an inch at 10 yds or so....not the best, but again, maybe better than some air rifles. I recall the sound of the bullet hitting a plywood backer being louder than the sound of the shot to me behind the gun. I used to shoot them in town for pests from inside the dining room window to make it even quieter for the neighbors.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI had a break over air rifle,can't remember the maker now, but it was pretty loud. Something you might try is 22 CB's. They are really quiet in a rifle and don't have much power either. Just throwing out a cheap idea.
CBs are better if you have a .22 laying around. Longer the barrel, the quieter!

Last edited:
If that Ruger at Walmart is a spring piston air rifle (break barrel), which I'm guessing it is.......it will eat your rimfire scope that you have laying around. Spring piston air rifles recoil in both directions when fired (rearward when the trigger is pulled and forward when the piston slams home). It will either walk your scope right off the dovetail mount or destroy the internals of the scope, or both. "Quiet" is kind of a subjective term. Just how quiet are we talking?

I like CB caps. I ran out and bought some CCI CB caps 710fps made to much noise.
I found some Aquila Colibri 20gr Long Rifle 420fps. MidwayUSA
They are ok, not to much noise.
I have an RWS air rile that makes way to much noise.

^^Hence why it was stated 10lbs OR SMALLER...completely unnecessary...OP also states his most important attribute he ia looking for in a pellet gun, is that it be QUITE.

Don't waste your time with break barrel rifles. Get a PCP, Benjamin marauder, Hatsan Flash, Marauder pisol. If you do not want to take the plunge to a PCP an Umarex fusion was by far the quietest rifle I have ever shot and absolutely drove nails inside 20 to 25 yards. It has enough steam for rat shooting and comes with a 4 power scope that works well. It feels like a real rifle and is a ton of fun to shoot. It may not work the best for your shot count of only using it for rats but its silence is a huge selling point.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Umarex-Fusion-CO2-Powered-Pellet-Air-Rifle-177-cal-700-FPS/25174732

Last edited:
Sure am glad I moved out of the subdivision, and into the woods, where a .22 RF, or a 28 ga., blast out the back window, goes unnoticed.
grin.gif

I had a pretty plain jane Gamo, that I won at a DU banquet, that killed many rabbits, squirrels, and crows, and never got the neighbors aware...And I had bunny huggers all around me. When we sold that house, the Gamo went in a rummage sale. The one neighbor that wasn't a bunny hugger, saw me dispatch a crow, while sitting on his deck. When I went out to pick up the carcass, he gave me a thumbs up, and said, "Nice shootin' Tex!". I kind of miss the clandestine dispatching of varmints. If I were in that situation today, I would buy another Gamo...Nothing fancy, just .177 break barrel, and a good pair of irons.

Squeeze

I grew up in Chicago, shooting 'stuff' in my backyard, with a .177 RWS at about 1,000fps.

As long as I kept the muzzle inside my window/door about 2-3 feet, my neighbors never had a clue I took a shot.

I think finding an Air Rifle/pellet gun that is QUIET for $100 is going to be tuff.I think the colibri will be your best bet and cheapest too.

I have a break barrel Gamo that I have owned for 10 yrs. Finally the spring broke inside and I bought another from Pyramid air. I was reading where you cut a piece of a 2 ltr. pop bottle and wrap it around the spring 1 full turn when you put the spring back in. I did that and now it is so quiet, you just hear a muffled thud. The spring doesn't rub the inside of the metal tube and takes up that extra space, and I had to adjust my scope down a little because it was shooting higher, maybe more FPS.
Made a big difference. Longest kills 76yds ( rangefinder ) black birds on top of pole the next street behind me. I have a 6x to 24x Barska on it and it is holding up pretty good. Been thru 4 simmons rifle scopes already.
Tarey

I have never found any love for springer air rifles. Yes, I learned the artillery hold and all that and can do a decent job in the accuracy department. I still don't like them and have gave away the two decent ones I owned and junked one that was, well, junk. I tried to return it but nope, no return, you are stuck with it. I saved the stock which I like and am going to try to repurpose it into a 22LR stock when the weather gets a little warmer and epoxy will set up in a decent interval.

I have a Benjamin pump that's an accurate shooter and I am thinking of getting a Sig that is CO2 powered and suppressed to eliminate any pumping. Age and used up shoulders are making the pump up style very uncomfortable after just a few shots.

Back