308 sub-sonic loads

Not as accurate as supersonic in my 10:1 TR A-bolt, like 2 moa @ 100 yards,
As far as range goes, think 22LR, since ballistics are the same as a standard subsonic 22LR.

I don't have a load for the .308, but I have tried Unique in a .30-30 with 110 grain cast bullets. I used 5 grains of Unique. I don't like trailboss because it's like trying to use confetti, it goes everywhere.

Last edited:
While not subsonic as I use it, there's always CE Harris's "the load" in Red Dot. Google it up, I believe its over on castboolits. I run 13 grains of Red Dot with 150 grain Hornady FMJs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bronco2anyone have a good starting load to try? 150gr bullet

Call Sierra.

Years ago they gave me a load for 168 gr. SMK's in 30-06 supposed to shoot little bitty groups @ 100 yards.....and they did!.......unless the wind was gusty. The bullet was so slow the wind really had a lot of time to work on it, but on a still day is was super accurate. 168 gr. SMK w/17.5 gr. Unique & Fed. 210 Match primer in 30-06 was the load they suggested.

Regards,
hm

A word of caution. I chambered a 300 Blackout for a friend. I don't know what bullet or powder he was using, but while he was working up a load, he said there was a fine line between getting the bullet out of the barrel, and keeping the bullet subsonic. Just keep looking down the bore and make sure it's clear.

Originally Posted By: StobA word of caution. I chambered a 300 Blackout for a friend. I don't know what bullet or powder he was using, but while he was working up a load, he said there was a fine line between getting the bullet out of the barrel, and keeping the bullet subsonic. Just keep looking down the bore and make sure it's clear.

your friend is only right if he's doing load developement like an idiot - or trying to work with a powder thats way-way-way-way off the ranch - which goes back to my previous idiot comment.

theres a LOT of room - at LEAST 150-200 FPS ( and thats conservative, but not worth mucking about with further than that far below subsonic for safety reasons) - between subsonic and a stuck round in the blackout. and LOTS of known good powders to use for subs that will keep you well out of trouble.

thats also why when developing subsonic rounds you start high and work down until you get your subsonic load, instead of starting at a min charge and working up like you do with supersonic loads. and also why you use a chronograph so you know when to stop the downward well above where a stuck bullet will be an issue.

so while i applaud your words of caution - please stop spreading misinformation about a caliber that excells at doing things in the subsonic realm and able to do so safely when following proper reloading protocols.

I've tried a lot of "hot" powders for reduced loads in a lot of cartridges, and I will have to admit that Unique will always be my powder of choice in light loads. They call it Unique for a reason!!!

Back