Run off with the 223

Originally Posted By: HumpnessI think we are all [beeep] artists on this forum.

lol.gif

No we are all marine snipers with perfect shots but for some reason we keep using to small of caliber rifles on bullet proof, bionic coyotes.
tt2.gif
w00t.gif
tongue_smilie.gif
blush.gif

You’ll never get anyone admitting for poor shooting around here...the only excuse EVERY time is the bullet and or caliber. I’ve learned over the decades on this sight is not to believe everything you read here. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve received ALOT more helpful advise than bad. But you have to to remember 99.9% of responses are opinions and not facts. I’m not calling anyone a liar. I think a lot of shooters BELIEVE they made a perfect shot but didn’t and never recovered the animal to prove it. Once again, just because you AIMED in the right spot dosent mean the bullet ended up in the spot you thought you AIMED for. It’s just morally makes the hunter feel better and helps soothe their bruised egos in front of their shooting buddies who raz them because we are all perfect shots and never miss.
scared.gif
blush.gif
I know plenty of guys who have killed coyotes consecutively with 223’s and others that have runners and Misses nonstop. It all comes down to shot placement. If your not a marksman, you flinch, or just are one of the poses guys for some reason can make a perfect shot. Then yes get a large per caliber rifle to make up for poor shooting. I’ve got a 300 RUM loaded at 3950 FPS with 125 grain ballistic tips for some of those marginal shooters.lol close counts with that one. All the guys with runners...that hit them in the guts and rear will blow a coyote in half with this combo. It’s like shooting a prairie dog with a 22-250.

Last edited:
Im thinking of a lot of I never had a runner or a spinner with my .223 crowd has never hunted at night with digital optics. It adds a whole new margin of error. I have shot way more coyote at night than in the daytime but in the daytime they just seem to anchor easier. I think it adds up to more precise optics. Beyond that all it has to do with this guy shooting them behind the shoulder like a deer. I don't think it's got a lot to do with marksmanship as much as where they're intentionally aiming. I did it for years and I still catch myself wanting to do it. I shoot an awful lot of deer with archery equipment and it's ingrained into my mind and that's where I automatically go to to aim.

Last edited:
You should not sweat flippers and spinners as it is part of hunting.

Hunting predator calling competitions years ago, we learned from the old timers that started calling in the 50's not to wait for standing shots only. They would chew our azzes out for not taking a shot on a walking coyote. Marginal hits were not unusual as we learned how much to leade the animal and shots too far forward, too far to the rear were common. Put them on the ground and hit them again. It was a heck of a lot better to miss than to let one walk off. We could not win competitions by not shooting.

Our all time high was 59 animals in a 48 hour hunt. One year, we turned in 32 animals and got third place.

Speed and bullet choice does make a difference on marginal hits. A bullet that penetrates well with speed will give a guy better odds.

It seems politically correct these days to only shoot at standing animals. Be Bold, learn to Leade coyotes and kill coyotes on the walk, then the trot. An all out grey hound running animal is a hail mary shot, but I have known two hunters that were darn good at hitting coyotes on a dead run, they have both passed on.

A guy that has some experience with a shotgun shooting quail, doves can learn to leade walking and trotting coyotes with amazing success, just do not be afraid to fail, missing is part of hunting.

As your impact velocity goes down, so does the size of the temporary wound cavity that your bullet makes with less arteries and nerves severed. It is fun to play with different guns and bullets over your hunting career and constantly tune your likes and dislikes based on your own personal experience.

Gun fit and a gun that swings easily are my favorites. Ar's do not fit me, and in the calibers I like they are way too heavy...to each his own.

In my Remingtons, Ruger 223 sporters, I like a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz at 3400 using a hot load of benchmark which blows a coyote up. In the 22/250s, I like a 55g Sierra of sorts in front of Varget which puts me in the 3750 fps area. In the 243's, I like the 55g Nosler(4000 fps, 60g Sierra(3800), 80g sierra single shot pistol bullet or blitz bt(3400). The 6 Remington is a monster, 60g at 4000, and 80g at 3600. The 6AI Big brother, 60g at 4400, 70g at 4000-4150, and 80g at 3800.

Speed give a guy more confidence as you have less leade as the distance increases and a much larger temporary wound cavity when you connect. Impact velocity turns bones, tendons, stomach contents into secondary projectiles.

Few people ever consider the 270 winchester with a 90g Sierra at 3550 or the 110g Vmax at 3350, but this is one heck of a coyote rifle. This is probably the mack daddy coyote rifle on a budget, very, very accurate with the light bullets and will shoot the entire azz end off a coyote if you don't leade the animal enough.

25/06's were very popular on our team for a few years, till the barrels were shot out. 100g Sierra at 3200 or a 87g sierra or Speer do not leade to coyote run offs very often at all. Hides were not worth saving at this point. You rarely ever hear of anyone shooting a 25/06 on predators anymore...what a shame.

As we see the marketing trends, short barrels are the rage, now throw in heavy bullets, and the size of the temporary wound cavities goes way down. This will cause a lot of spinners as range goes over 200 yards. We did not see a lot of spinners with the 22/250 shooting the 55g Sierra at 3600 till the range got to 250 yards, and that is where we started getting picky on the shots. We usually hunted four guys in the truck, and we learned that the guys with 243's had an edge at 300 + yards. I had a custom 6 Remington and another AI that were our Nevada guns where the coyotes would hang up around 400-500 because they were so call wise, and the 80g Sierra at 3600 would put them down hard.

For guys that have the mind set to only shoot at standing coyotes, try this. ON a walking coyote at 100 yards, put the cross hair on the leading edge of the coyote. Remember that if the coyote is coming down hill, you will have to aim at the bottom of the body. ON a trotting coyote at 100 yards, try aiming 1.5 feet in front of the animal, and if the animal is at a fast walk, aim 3 feet in front of the animal. Remember, it is better to shoot and miss than let him run off, because the coyote is a genius at putting any and everything he can in front of you and him, using every bush, dip, and rock. If you stop your swing and do not follow through, you will shoot behind the coyote every time. Shooting skeet really helps a guy improve his follow through and have confidence in leading an moving animal.

Also, know your wind direction. If a coyote is approaching your scent cone down wind, you have to take him before he picks up that scent, or he is GONE! If you see a coyote approaching your your tracks that you walked in on, take the shot.

Above all, don't sweat the nippers and spinners, it is part of hunting. Don't be scared to try different bullets, different calibers and enjoy the learning process.

Last edited:
Twice now this week I've seen mention of the 55 Blitz. The guy I get a lot of my components from was accidentally sent these instead of Blitzkings. Normally we shoot 55 or 50 grain Nosler ballistic tips. You say these Blitz "blow up" coyotes...... maybe I need to try some. He gave me 20 of them to experiment with and I was hesitant but now I think I might. My 12 twist 22 Nosler should run them about 3450.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanYou should not sweat flippers and spinners as it is part of hunting.

Hunting predator calling competitions years ago, we learned from the old timers that started calling in the 50's not to wait for standing shots only. They would chew our azzes out for not taking a shot on a walking coyote. Marginal hits were not unusual as we learned how much to leade the animal and shots too far forward, too far to the rear were common. Put them on the ground and hit them again. It was a heck of a lot better to miss than to let one walk off. We could not win competitions by not shooting.

Our all time high was 59 animals in a 48 hour hunt. One year, we turned in 32 animals and got third place.

Speed and bullet choice does make a difference on marginal hits. A bullet that penetrates well with speed will give a guy better odds.

It seems politically correct these days to only shoot at standing animals. Be Bold, learn to Leade coyotes and kill coyotes on the walk, then the trot. An all out grey hound running animal is a hail mary shot, but I have known two hunters that were darn good at hitting coyotes on a dead run, they have both passed on.

A guy that has some experience with a shotgun shooting quail, doves can learn to leade walking and trotting coyotes with amazing success, just do not be afraid to fail, missing is part of hunting.

As your impact velocity goes down, so does the size of the temporary wound cavity that your bullet makes with less arteries and nerves severed. It is fun to play with different guns and bullets over your hunting career and constantly tune your likes and dislikes based on your own personal experience.

Gun fit and a gun that swings easily are my favorites. Ar's do not fit me, and in the calibers I like they are way too heavy...to each his own.

In my Remingtons, Ruger 223 sporters, I like a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz at 3400 using a hot load of benchmark which blows a coyote up. In the 22/250s, I like a 55g Sierra of sorts in front of Varget which puts me in the 3750 fps area. In the 243's, I like the 55g Nosler(4000 fps, 60g Sierra(3800), 80g sierra single shot pistol bullet or blitz bt(3400). The 6 Remington is a monster, 60g at 4000, and 80g at 3600. The 6AI Big brother, 60g at 4400, 70g at 4000-4150, and 80g at 3800.

Speed give a guy more confidence as you have less leade as the distance increases and a much larger temporary wound cavity when you connect. Impact velocity turns bones, tendons, stomach contents into secondary projectiles.

Few people ever consider the 270 winchester with a 90g Sierra at 3550 or the 110g Vmax at 3350, but this is one heck of a coyote rifle. This is probably the mack daddy coyote rifle on a budget, very, very accurate with the light bullets and will shoot the entire azz end off a coyote if you don't leade the animal enough.

25/06's were very popular on our team for a few years, till the barrels were shot out. 100g Sierra at 3200 or a 87g sierra or Speer do not leade to coyote run offs very often at all. Hides were not worth saving at this point. You rarely ever hear of anyone shooting a 25/06 on predators anymore...what a shame.

As we see the marketing trends, short barrels are the rage, now throw in heavy bullets, and the size of the temporary wound cavities goes way down. This will cause a lot of spinners as range goes over 200 yards. We did not see a lot of spinners with the 22/250 shooting the 55g Sierra at 3600 till the range got to 250 yards, and that is where we started getting picky on the shots. We usually hunted four guys in the truck, and we learned that the guys with 243's had an edge at 300 + yards. I had a custom 6 Remington and another AI that were our Nevada guns where the coyotes would hang up around 400-500 because they were so call wise, and the 80g Sierra at 3600 would put them down hard.

For guys that have the mind set to only shoot at standing coyotes, try this. ON a walking coyote at 100 yards, put the cross hair on the leading edge of the coyote. Remember that if the coyote is coming down hill, you will have to aim at the bottom of the body. ON a trotting coyote at 100 yards, try aiming 1.5 feet in front of the animal, and if the animal is at a fast walk, aim 3 feet in front of the animal. Remember, it is better to shoot and miss than let him run off, because the coyote is a genius at putting any and everything he can in front of you and him, using every bush, dip, and rock. If you stop your swing and do not follow through, you will shoot behind the coyote every time. Shooting skeet really helps a guy improve his follow through and have confidence in leading an moving animal.

Also, know your wind direction. If a coyote is approaching your scent cone down wind, you have to take him before he picks up that scent, or he is GONE! If you see a coyote approaching your your tracks that you walked in on, take the shot.

Above all, don't sweat the nippers and spinners, it is part of hunting. Don't be scared to try different bullets, different calibers and enjoy the learning process.

Great post! I really enjoyed reading it.

One thing I haven't seen directly mentioned is adrenaline. From both the hunter and coyote perspectives. Examples...last year deer season wasn't going well for me and I was getting "itchy" about putting some meat in the freezer. A doe walks out in the field 150 yards away and is uneasy about things. She's walking and will be out of sight soon. The experienced hunter watches the deer walk away, the "itchy" guy throws the rifle up, gets a "good" sight picture and JUMPS on the trigger. Doe runs off. That night my good friend and hunting partner looked me straight in the eye and said "so how'd you **** the bed on that one?" We had a good, honest talk about it, one I won't ever forget. Adrenaline was not my friend and, had I placed a good shot on that doe, she likely would have run until she bled out due to her adrenaline being up.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, closing out the season I took my 243 (90gr Nosler BT's) as I had always wanted to shoot a deer with a 243. A slow morning resulted in me creeping the old 2 track trails through the property. As I came out of one of the pine plantations I saw a 6 point feeding on acorns about 50 yards away. He had no clue I was there and continued feeding. I took my time and waited as he moved around behind brush and small trees and when the shot was clear I SQUEEZED the trigger. The shot was right where I wanted it in the heart/lungs (better have been at 50 yards!) and that buck dropped in his tracks. I figured he would take off running, but without him knowing I was there and having adrenaline pumping in his system he was taken completely off-guard.

In the world of predator hunting there are a lot of parallels to both of those scenarios. Coyotes coming to a call are going to be hyped for a meal or suspicious that something isn't right, either way likely to have some degree of adrenaline flowing. Same goes for the shooter watching the predator(s) come in. Lots of adrenaline in the coyote and a less than ideal shot and they are likely going to take off. Even with ideal shots some will have that ability to get it in gear. Every situation is going to be different, if every situation were the same none of us would do this.

IMO, 223 is an effective round for coyotes and a 50 BMG is also effective, just depends on what you are comfortable with and know what ranges you are competent shooting (range and trigger time!). I learned a great deal by missing that doe and having an honest conversation...and will never hunt the same way again.

Every coyote I've shot or seen shot had one thing in common regardless of caliber,cartridge,running or standing still. That bullet in their heart,lungs,brain,chest or neck had the same result. The same can be said with the ones I've seen run off never to be found. A bullet,big or small and moving either fast or slow that hit a leg or intestines had the same result. I've never seen a coyote run off that was hit good.

I've hit "pieces" of coyotes with a .223 and stopped them. But just because they're stopped doesn't mean they'll stay there. You'll find that problem with more than just the .223. I think it's easier for a lot of people to blame the equipment. I don't make excuses. If I shoot a coyote and it gets back up and runs off or starts spinning and runs off, I messed up. If a coyote is spinning or flopping around or nipping at itself shoot until it's not. Bullets are easy to come by. It's not hard to tell if a coyote is hit good. They fall over and don't move anymore. If it's fairly lively after the shot it ain't hit good enough.

Lung shot coyotes might fool you and run dead on their feet. That don't matter keep shooting until the lead weighs them down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim ByersAm I the only one who likes to watch them spin? Cause your buddy gets to make the follow up and won't complain your a dog hog... lol

I know a couple guys with .223 that compete for the most spin revolutions.

I would have thought ballistics would have been part of this conversation.
I have nothing against .223. Own several.
To say they are just as efficient as larger faster rounds just seems to defy logic.
I have killed pigs with a .22 but I would never say more power is not better.It just is.
Will a .223 kill coyotes? Sure it will. Will a .243 kill coyotes further and with more authority?Of coarse it will.
Poor marksmanship would be a separate conversation it seems to me.

Originally Posted By: Jim ByersAm I the only one who likes to watch them spin? Cause your buddy gets to make the follow up and won't complain your a dog hog... lol

That made me laugh, because I usually have to make the running kill shot when I hunt with one particular person. I honestly think he can't help himself, I believe when he sees a coyote he just has to be the first to get off a shot. Then he can brag on how many he shot. I often tell him to stop giving the coyotes warning shots.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: Jim ByersAm I the only one who likes to watch them spin? Cause your buddy gets to make the follow up and won't complain your a dog hog... lol

That made me laugh, because I usually have to make the running kill shot when I hunt with one particular person. I honestly think he can't help himself, I believe when he sees a coyote he just has to be the first to get off a shot. Then he can brag on how many he shot. I often tell him to stop giving the coyotes warning shots.

Love it, I hunt with some great shots that can’t hit the minute of barn when there is a competition to shoot a yote first. As soon as you give them crap and bruise their egos they end up starting threads like this because of it.
thumbup.gif
w00t.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSThere was a post a few years ago on the 24hrCF about the 270 not enough for Texas deer.

My Dad shot his with a 220 Swift.

Never was a fan of 223 even though I have had one for a few years. Things have changed .... normally shoot coyotes with 243....I figured it gave me a little extra edge having a bigger bullet. I never use FMJ always SP or BT. I started using 223 Savage bolt at night because the scope is a 40 ret. vs. 32 ret. and I could see the hairs a little better given my aging eyes. Most of my shots are 225 and under. Been using Hornady 53 gr. or 55 gr. Vmax and it hammers them Shot placement is critical need to hit them where it counts the most. FMJ is a cheap target round use it for that and use a hunting round to hunt with. I have had my share of spinners and runners because I use only hunting round to hunt.... I know if I miss or nick it .....it was only my fault and not the bullet. I am done ...good luck. Keep shooting.

As a rancher , coyotes inflict economic harm to our livestock. That said as an adversary I have to admire them and respect them because of their smarts and ability to adapt.

Further as one of God’s creatures I want to dispatch them as cleanly as is feasible.

I do use the 223 cartridge often but I also refrain from the longer shots that the 22-250 and larger cartridges make more feasible. However under rare circumstances such as high baby calf loses out of the norm I will stretch the distance with the 223.

An example happened about 2 weeks ago. I had been burning a lot of coyotes from the feed wagon. The last of this string of kills over a week long was my 7th kill. The coyotes were getting pretty daylight shy by then but one of a cluster of three coyotes was leaving down a cow trail with high snow on either side of it.

I could only see the top two inches of it’s back but it would periodically stop to look back to see if it’s mate was coming along. Not realizing it was not at 250 yds like I assumed, I held a little low. We drove over there with the big feed tractor fighting drifts and found that I had hit the coyote but it had split after folding up. By the extensive blood trail it was not going to get very far or so I thought. We drove a good 150 yards and still it kept going. We ran up on some downed trees from the blizzard we just went through last Feb. and I just was not up to hoofing it so I wrote that coyote off as a goner.

Back home I brought up Google Earth and found the shot was a solid 300 yds which meant that my 55 gr SX went through some snow before hitting the coyote low. Had I known the actual yardage I probably would have passed on it even with the heightened concern for the calves.

Bottom line I like the 223 just like I like lots of other cartridges and they are all effective within certain parameters. My Ruger American compact and CZ527 in that cartridge bring lightness and ease of keeping with me. That I feel their yardage capability is somewhat less than say a 243 or 22-250 is offset by portability during a normal work day.

A 200 + yard coyote rifle that I have with me is better than my bestest laser coyote blaster that I left in the safe because I was tired of dragging it around for long stretches without seeing a coyote.

If I have a specific issue and reason to believe to want to pull out the stops then I may just leapfrog right over to one of the 25-06’s!

I might want to add even more pannash, haul out one of the 7 mm RM’s and really remove all doubt! Lol! But one of these days, coyotes be forewarned, I will have my 257STW all figured out, that will show them!

Three44s

Last edited:
I had not shot a coyote with a 223 for a couple of years until this morning. I have been switching up between the 25-06, 22-250 and 243. Kind of been following these threads on the 223 and run off or bullet selections so I thought I would give a try today.

For what its worth and having shot multiple coyotes with 204, 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06 and 270s in different weights and brands of bullets, the 223 seems to have had the spinners and runners before they drop dead.

This morning I shot a big male with a 22" barrelled 223 I just traded for. I had worked up some handloads with 55 Nosler Ballistic tips. It was only a 130 yd shot and he spun into the ground. Tuesday I shot one at 128 yds with a 20" barrelled 243 using 58 grain V-max Superformance in the same body spot. You couldn't see where the 223 went in but the 243 you could put a pack of cigarettes and lighter in the wound. Same 243 and box of ammo produced less devastating damage on body and face shots on other coyotes this season.

My analysis is that the same bullets from the same box on different animals will have different results as in the case of the 243 or 25-06 vmax's. I don't think some varmint bullets always react the same on impact.

As far as the 223 I think the 55 BT were harder and expanded differently than when I use them in my 22-250. The 50 and 55 Vmax's I have used in the 223 in the past was hard to see the entry and no exit showing. Liking to see a coyote drop in its tracks I have thought about trying the 53 or 60 grain Vmax, or a soft point or hollow point or maybe something in a Speer or Sierra that makes a small entry and turns the insides to jello, for a quicker kill. I think there is surely a bullet that would give similar results as the 22-250 at shorter distances and 223 velocity.

All of the points about marksmanship, shot choice, nerves, actual shot impact point and animal toughness are big factors that need to be factored in when the crosshairs are on target and the trigger is being pulled.

I never hear anyone talk about animal movement between the time the trigger is pulled and bullet impact on a stopped coyote. Honestly I think there is animal movement in that time frame that can show up in the point of impact when you inspect the animal. I know my bench target shooting accuracy and point of impact is not the same as shooting in the field so I work to narrow that gap through different ways of practice.

If anyone has a suggestion on a 223 bullet selection for planting a coyote in its tracks out to 250 yards, I am all ears.

Back