223 Factory loads ?

Lodgepole

I normally reload but my first time AR has me befuddled for now.I see on here often White box Winchester is cheep and fairly accurate.Is this available in something other than FMJ ? Such as 55 gr soft point or some type of hunting bullet (not varmint ).Maybe just the FMJ is cheep !

Look for Fiocchi. It's available in several different weight/bullet configurations.

Fairly inexpensive and accurate. I've had good luck with the V-Max offerings...

Last edited:
Fiocchi 55gr psp. These rounds are about as cheap as I can find for a hunting bullet. I have found them to be effective on coyotes as well as small hogs. They are very accurate and I repeatedly shoot sub 1/2" groups using these to fireform brass for my AI.

I think the "White Box" most are referring to are the 50 count box with 45 grain HP's. They generally shoot pretty good in most 223's. They use to be about $10 a box but the last I saw at WalMart was around $32. But its a 50 round box.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI think the "White Box" most are referring to are the 50 count box with 45 grain HP's. They generally shoot pretty good in most 223's. They use to be about $10 a box but the last I saw at WalMart was around $32. But its a 50 round box.

unless they have changed, they are 40 round boxes.

and yes, used to be fairly inexpensive. no so now.

I shot some white box Winchester 45gr (40rd box) out of my 22-250 that was
very impressive.

As far as factory .223 had some Fiocchi 50gr V-max stuff that shot lights out.
Brass had off center flash holes that cause concern when reloading.

Blackhills 52gr loads shoot real good.

Hornady 52sp shot ok.

That's the only factory ammo I tried in the .223

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI think the "White Box" most are referring to are the 50 count box with 45 grain HP's. They generally shoot pretty good in most 223's. They use to be about $10 a box but the last I saw at WalMart was around $32. But its a 50 round box.

unless they have changed, they are 40 round boxes.

and yes, used to be fairly inexpensive. no so now.

My bad, they were 40 count box's. Great deal back then, not so great today.

Thanks for the good feed back I will be in the city soon and give you folks a report on what I get.We have a Sportsmans warehouse in the city will check that too.

Back