Barrel length question.

RustyCJ8

Hoping to get some input on the optimal barrel length for my 22 Hornet. Want to get a 21” barrelled bolt action rifle threaded for a suppressor that is 7” long and weighs 9 ounces. I just don’t want some unwieldy long barrel but also don’t want it too short. Thanks for any advice. Dave

I have two, nearly, identical CZ 527 Varmint model 17 Hornets with the only difference being one of them I had the barrel cut back to right around 20.5-21 inches when it was in getting threaded and the other one is a little over 23 inches. The shorter one only shoots 50-60 FPS slower than the longer one, which isn't much difference.

With the 22 Hornet shooting so little powder, and the fact you have a larger bore diameter, I'd imagine the gap between the two would be even less. A suppressed 22 Hornet with anything from a 18-21 inch barrel + suppressor should make for a pretty fun and very maneuverable setup.

Thanks for the response B23, that was my thought also but the thread guy seemed to think I should keep the barrel long. I have a feeling his advice was more to keep the overall look of the rifle intact. I, like I said don’t want it to be too unwieldy and have to redo it later. Thanks again, Dave

Look up the load data. It appears the difference between 24" and 15" is less than 100fps, depending on the load. Lose an inch of barrel, and only lose 11fps from it? Sign me up for 16" please.

Thanks for the input fellows. I have sent it off and as has been noted the length on a hornet isn’t quite as critical I am having it cut to 16”. Thanks again. Dave

Originally Posted By: RustyCJ8Thanks for the input fellows. I have sent it off and as has been noted the length on a hornet isn’t quite as critical I am having it cut to 16”. Thanks again. Dave

And you will love it!
thumbup1.gif

I had the barrel on my 22-250 chopped back to 18 inches when it was in getting threaded, shooting it suppressed, I couldn't be happier.

Barrel length and suppressors are something that you have to consider together. I was glad to read your original post that you had considered that. The issue of barrel length usually focuses on velocity loss and as the guys have correctly pointed out, those losses are really minimal. I run a 16in fluted stainless barrel on my .308 PTG-10 BECAUSE I run a YHM Phantom suppressor that is 8.5 inches long AND 26 oz. I don't need the extra barrel length getting in the way and being cumbersome when I need to swing and getting in/out of stands. We have shot out to 1000 yards with our suppressed 16in guns just fine. So long as you have enough barrel to stabilize the bullet, go short. We just recently built a couple of 17 remingtons that are going to be suppressed. We did one at 18 and one at 16in to see which will be more accurate. According to our math they should both be equally accurate, but only range time will tell...

Back