Turkey shoots

I have been to some of these shoots and I use a rem. 870 or a rem 1100. The 870 has a full choke and the 1100 has a modified choke both work great but I prefer the 870 I'm a pump gun fan

Pattern your gun to see where the center of the pattern is, after that its mostly luck to get a pellet dead center of whatever mark they use. We hold turkey shoots in the fall, and ham shoots in the spring at my club, and a 10 year old with a 410 will sometimes win with the "magic BB " Its great family fun. I usually use turkey chokes in my Red Label.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhat do they usually charge for a Turkey shoot? Might try to have something like this at my club.

not sure why they stopped (VFW put them on), but its been years since they have had a turkey shoot around here.

seem to remember it was $5 (might of been $10) per shooter per round.

6 or 8 shooters in a round.

all shooters shotguns in a round were laid on a table and you were allowed to shoot yours or anybody else's if you wanted to.

of course winner in each round won a turkey.

if there was enough women present they would do an all girl round(s). same with kids.

it was a good money maker for them. no idea why they stopped doing them. probably some kind of liability bs.

Volunteer fire dept. of a small nearby town used to put on an interesting shoot. 10 shooters per relay, each shooter had three balloons (about 6") tied to top of a 2' long dowell @ 100 yards.

Any rifle, any sight, offhand w/no artificial support.
Shooters had 3 shots, most balloons broken won, ties broken by instant death shoot off. 6" target sounds pretty easy, but wind was usually between 10-20 mph and that darn balloon usually wasn't where it was when you broke the shot!
scared.gif
Took me a while to realize not to shoot center of mass, aim for top of the stick!
cool.gif

Back then entry was $3 IIRC but that was ample to cover the cost of frozen turkeys with a healthy profit. Easy to calculate entry fee based on cost of turkeys.

Quick and clean and very popular in this area. Wish they still had them.

Regards,
hm

Back