Stock for my new build in 7mm remmag?

zr600

Ok I have a left handed Remington 700 doing a criterion remage 7remmag barrel. Now I need a stock and what bottom metal should I use I was thinking of using detachable mags but don’t know if I should. Anyways I have been looking at grayboe terrain stock but it’s a little heavier at 2.5lbs. I was also thinking of a McMillan htg in there edge tech, or a manners mcs-eh2 in all carbon to save some weight.

I have basically the same set up, just with the bolt on the proper side.
wink.gif
My 9 twist Criterion is 26" on a remington 700 in a Grayboe Outlander. What profile barrel did you get? I got the magnum profile and the grayboe balances the rifle nicely. It's about 9 pounds loaded up and is incredibly accurate. Consistent sub half MOA 3 shot groups.

Edit: As far as botton metal is concerned, I made mine a BDL with an aluminum Oberndorf style hinged plate. It accepts long COALs with the 180 Berger HVLD and keeps weight down.

Last edited:
I think you'll have one heck of a shooter once it's together. I've put together several 1" groups at distance from a bench. Only shot one deer with it so far at 230 yards. I've thought about Ceracoating the whole thing, the action gets a bit of spotting when I'm in the rain, but then again so don't I!

If you have any questions about the whole process just let me know, glad to help out.

Remingtons are shooters, most would find it hard to believe just how accurate these rifles are with bedded action, floated barrels, tuned triggers, and muzzle breaks.

I really like the Remington LSS stocks or boyd's with 22 lines per inch checkering...doll baby!

Last year, I plopped a 7 Mag sporter in a Hogue stock with the full length bedding block, and the rifle shot 3/8" with no bedding at all. The bedding block was machined perfectly.

Unless you are hiking in the mountains, I would try and persuade you to not chase the current popular thinking of trying to make a 7 Mag an ultra light rifle.

Last edited:
Detachable mags, do your home work so you do not limit your OAL, also an expensive way to go for a deer rifle where deer do not shoot back. Std ADL allows one more round in the mag.

A practical option is to have your gunsmith open up the mag box and use a Wyatt's mag box that will give you an additional .110-.120 additional OAL...real handy in chasing the lands with VLD type of bullets which equals extra barrel life...this is VERY important.

Back