Pulsar Thermal on a shotgun?

Softpoint

Anybody have any real life experience? I could have had a couple bobcats had I had a shotgun but don't want to ruin my thermal. (Pulsar Apex xq 38)

I have an XP50 Trail and have used it on a 12g 11-87 several times. I also emailed Sightmark and was told the Trail XP50 will handle the a 12 gauge recoil.

With that said, I don't recommended it. After several shots I started noticing dead pixels appearing and that was enough for me. I no longer use it on my shotgun.

I may be able to rely some experience in the near future. I've been struggling with what to do with mine when Pulsar finally sends me a replacement XP50. POI shift is crazy so I have been thinking it may be good enough to use on a scatter gun. If I end up putting it on my shotgun I'll let you know how it holds up.

I have tried several different types of Optics on shotguns over the years and personally every optic I have put on a 12 gauge has ended up wrecking the optic in one form or another. It's gotten any more where I don't even mess with trying to put an optic on a 12-gauge. In my opinion one of the best nights setups for a shotgun would be some type of ir laser attached to the shotgun with a PVS 14 attached to a helmet

I'll sure let you know if I end up using it that way.

As far as the Apex line I can't say. If your missing shots it would be a good idea to check it and not just chalk it up to user error!

Originally Posted By: SoftpointThanks. I'd be very happy to hear your experiences. Is the POI change on the Apex also or am I just a poor shot? The major issue with POI due to temp fluctuations was a situation associated with the Trail line. The Core and Apex lines were not affected according to Pulsar, various Pulsar Facebook pages, and various dealers. However, this does not mean there are not isolated cases with these other products.

Yes, I would test your scope out. There are so many variables that can affect POI including rest, ammo, gun, etc so I always try to make sure that I have a gun that has a tested ammo, gun, rest with a glass scope for instance under a certain condition, and then test the thermal with everything the same if possible. Even with the thermal, it could be the base, screws and other factors as well. Also, keep in mind, most thermals will not group as tight as a glass scope. They are displaying a digital image vs glass. I've shot tight groups with my thermals but don't expect 1/2 MOA groups consistently with most thermal scopes.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointCan't project a beam of light onto game in Washington. Not sure this is what you are taking about?

No, the Pulsar Trails have been plagued with not holding zero. I don't have any experience with the Apex models so I can't say if they typically hold zero or not. I suggest if you have missed shots you should put it on paper to make sure the zero hasn't moved.

Sorry softpoint I didn't see Kirsch had responded. He said it better LOL
I'd follow his advice, he's a master in my book!

Now that spring is here I'm going to work on my loads/patterns and put in some trigger time. I have my thermal on a Ruger American Ranch bolt gun in 5.56. Originally it had no problem hitting under a 2" pattern at 100 yards which seems to be the maximum range I ever shoot. (This was not with a solid bench rest.)

Thanks for the help!

I never gave it much thought (until recently) to hunt predators with a shotgun. After doing some testing I believe I could have killed 50% plus of all the coyotes I've ever shot. Sage and timber rarely require long shots when calling so I don't know what I was thinking? lol

Update: The Apex XQ38 doesn't have a POI issue. It can hold 3 different POI settings and somehow it got moved from 1 to 3, thus the issue.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointUpdate: The Apex XQ38 doesn't have a POI issue. It can hold 3 different POI settings and somehow it got moved from 1 to 3, thus the issue.

Good!

A buddy of mine is running a Pulsar CORE RXQ30V on his shotgun. No issues at all to speak of. He has several rounds through the tube already.

I'd like to hear what he thinks after some extended use? I might be picking up another unit before next season just for the shotgun.

Back