Night Goggles Inc

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3197845 - 03/14/19 06:06 PM Re: Pulsar Helion XP28 or XP38 For Scanning [Re: iowayotehunter76]
case-nh Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Iowa
Agree totally with Doubleup & V223. IR-WI must have had some issue with the 28 he was using.

#3197871 - 03/14/19 09:09 PM Re: Pulsar Helion XP28 or XP38 For Scanning [Re: DoubleUp]
JB-WI Online

Loc: WI
Originally Posted By: DoubleUp
Sounds like you had a defective unit. Even a 19A will do deer at over 500. A 640 core should have been much better than that.

It is a very good possibility, I never heard back from Pulsar engineers. Deer at 400-450yds would "pop" at that range with my XQ38...then I would switch to the XP28 and could barely tell if something was there. I was using black hot and white hot with both.

#3198001 - 03/15/19 07:18 PM Re: Pulsar Helion XP28 or XP38 For Scanning [Re: JB-WI]
G Anderson Online
Seasoned Member

Loc: Clinton, Indiana
Originally Posted By: JB-WI
Sounds like you had a defective unit. Even a 19A will do deer at over 500. A 640 core should have been much better than that.

It is a very good possibility, I never heard back from Pulsar engineers. Deer at 400-450yds would "pop" at that range with my XQ38...then I would switch to the XP28 and could barely tell if something was there. I was using black hot and white hot with both.

Had a friend recently purchase a Helion and he called me up and was very disappointed...basically could not get anything to show very well...trees and other background stuff was just almost a solid mass. Told him to adjust brightness/contrast as well as focus the unit...still not good. It then hit me...I called him up and asked about the ID setting. After explaining to him where it was on the menu he told me the unit was set to forest/trees...I had him change it to the ID symbol(which is an eye symbol)...after changing it, he was blown away with the difference and is a happy camper now. I wonder if possibly your XP28 was on the same setting?

#3198033 - 03/15/19 10:17 PM Re: Pulsar Helion XP28 or XP38 For Scanning [Re: Str8Shooter]
Kirsch Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: North Dakota
I don’t like the forest/tree one either as the contrast and brightness isn't to my liking. I adjust any of them anyway, but still not my favorite default.

#3198073 - 03/16/19 09:06 AM Re: Pulsar Helion XP28 or XP38 For Scanning [Re: G Anderson]
JB-WI Online

Loc: WI
Originally Posted By: G Anderson
Originally Posted By: JB-WI

Had a friend recently purchase a Helion and he called me up and was very disappointed...basically could not get anything to show very well...trees and other background stuff was just almost a solid mass. Told him to adjust brightness/contrast as well as focus the unit...still not good. It then hit me...I called him up and asked about the ID setting. After explaining to him where it was on the menu he told me the unit was set to forest/trees...I had him change it to the ID symbol(which is an eye symbol)...after changing it, he was blown away with the difference and is a happy camper now. I wonder if possibly your XP28 was on the same setting?

I was using the ID(eye) setting on the XP28 and my Trail. The XP28 I tried seemed like everything was in a haze. I had more clarity from my Trail than the XP28. I adjusted the brightness and contrast every which way imagineable. The XP28 I tried was good out to 200-250yds and then the performance dropped considerably beyond that.

#3198137 - 03/16/19 06:35 PM Re: Pulsar Helion XP28 or XP38 For Scanning [Re: JB-WI]
iowayotehunter76 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: IA - Iowa
The forest, eye, or rocks symbol settings are nothing more than a quick starting point for brightness and contrast. I am always manually adjusting these settings depending on the night. Clear nights are way better than cloudy. Fog, high humidity, and falling snow are just a few that affect the image quality. The XP models do have a focus dial and if it gets screwed way off it can ruin image quality long ranges and enhance close objects. One needs to adjust it if it gets off doe some reason. I know when I got mine, it was off about 3/4 of a turn. Close objects looked good, but the detection range was bad. I made drastic changes and it helped big time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jason El Paso, SkyPup 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.