AZ G&F studying predator contests

ThomC

AZ G&F Commission voted to study rules on predator contests. Even though many people stated scientific and logical reasons why the contests are beneficial and not just killing for money. The antis are mis-using these contests for their agenda to stop all hunting. No matter what you think or do concerning these contests (they should use a better name such as survey) hunters need to stop this progression the antis have on their quest to stop all hunting.
cry.gif

I agree. I sent this email to AZGFD:

My name is Jason Mosler and I am a hunter, hunters ed instructor and a small business owner involved with the sport of hunting. I recently read the agenda for the Commission meeting that is to be held on March 15, 2019 in Bisbee, Az.

As the meeting is being held in Bisbee on a Friday I will not be able to personally attend so I wish to make my feeling known on this topic.

I am a predator hunter. I am a bit taken aback by the agenda's use of the terminology "killing" since it was my understanding that these were "hunting" competitions and it saddens me to see the Commission seemingly falling victim to the anti-hunter mentality of calling hunting, "killing." Of course as hunters we understand that hunting involves the potential killing of wildlife but the anti-hunting organizations politicize and weaponize the term "killing" in attempts to demonize hunters and the hunting community. For the Commission to adopt such language at a hearing is disturbing. I would like to think that our Commission is above this kind of politicizing.

That being said I wish to discuss the topic of hunting contests. Predators are regulated by the Commission with seasons and take limits established by science. Coyotes in particular have no season and no take limits and it is my understanding that the coyote is in no way a "threatened" species in the state of Arizona. If proof were given that the coyote is at risk of population collapse then by all means we should look at limiting or eliminating contests. But that just is not the case. Science, not emotion or politics, should drive this rule making.

I personally know several hunters and hunting groups who look forward to hunting coyotes in the state. Arizona has a great reputation as being hunter and gun friendly. To pass a rule against hunting contests would be a blow to this reputation. Hunting brings in funding to not only the Game and Fish Department but also local economies and eliminating hunting contests would be a blow to that income. I know that hunting contests are unpopular, but unless there is proof that the coyote is at risk, contests should not be banned.

Anti-hunters will claim that it is wrong to profit from hunting them but that is ridiculous since guiding is legal in Arizona and guides take out clients for money. If it is wrong to profit from hunting, then ANY business that "profits" from hunting should then be banned but that would also include AZGFD. There are many groups that profit from the support that hunting brings in and that should not be stopped because of the anti-hunting establishment. Anti-hunters hate and oppose ALL forms of hunting. They will stop at nothing to ban ALL forms of hunting. Meanwhile they bring NOTHING to the table in the form of support for projects like watering holes or trail maintenance or any other activities that they in turn participate in without lending support. Anti-hunting groups were defeated in their attempts to eliminate bobcat and mountain lion hunting so they are simply regrouping and trying another tack in their attempts to eliminate hunting altogether. Their claim that since hunters do not "use" the "entire" animal that this form of hunting is "trophy" hunting and therefore should be banned is also weak. Hunting is a well established form of population control. AZGFD has enacted several special hunting seasons and rule changes in order to support the population control of coyotes since they can have a devastating impact on other animal populations such as deer, antelope and others.

I would appreciate my comments being passed along to the Commission and I would hope that they are taken into consideration.

Thank you for your time,

Jason "Mo" Mosler

If people keep reaching out to the commission then we have a chance. I sent an email last year about the proposed changes to the night hunt season and it went WAY up the Commission ladder and the rules were left alone. Grass roots work.

NY now has a Democratic Governor, Assembly and Senate. They have reintroduced a bill this year similar, which states "Provides that it shall be unlawful for any person to organize, sponsor, conduct, promote, or participate in any contest, competition, tournament or derby where the objective of such contest or competition is to take wildlife."

The Assemblywoman claims it is to focus on coyote, squirrel and crow hunting contests. The bill apparently also jeopardizes field trials for dogs. All activities that have been occurring for many years here in NY and there is no shortage of any of those animals.

Just another example of our downstate/NY City legislators imposing their morals on us. More at this article on NY anti-hunting contest legislation.

Good luck with your fight in AZ.

Last edited:
Although I don't hunt contests I think you are right on with your letter "Mo". It seems that the anti's like to name a person or thing in a negative way so they can then vilify them. Killer vs competitor.

At the commission meeting the staff lawyer only presented options to "ban contests". No options as to using these "contests" as a tool to help control predators in areas and times when Deer, Antelope, or Cows are birthing.

As hunters we have to provide more palatable options to show the average public that these are not just "KILLING FOR SPORT AND MONEY" as the anti hunting groups state. I would like to hear from some contestants on how to clean up the process. Concentrate on the positives that controlling predators will do for wildlife and people. For instance the predators harvested should be processed not just thrown in a pile for photos and left for the buzzards to clean up. There could be processing demonstrations showing how to properly take care of skins. I am sure there is a way to put to good use the meat and bones.

Originally Posted By: erictNY now has a Democratic Governor, Assembly and Senate. They have reintroduced a bill this year similar, which states "Provides that it shall be unlawful for any person to organize, sponsor, conduct, promote, or participate in any contest, competition, tournament or derby where the objective of such contest or competition is to take wildlife."

The Assemblywoman claims it is to focus on coyote, squirrel and crow hunting contests. The bill apparently also jeopardizes field trials for dogs. All activities that have been occurring for many years here in NY and there is no shortage of any of those animals.

Just another example of our downstate/NY City legislators imposing their morals on us. More at this article on NY anti-hunting contest legislation.

Good luck with your fight in AZ.

I wonder if fishing tourneys will be allowed?

Originally Posted By: whyAlthough I don't hunt contests I think you are right on with your letter "Mo". It seems that the anti's like to name a person or thing in a negative way so they can then vilify them. Killer vs competitor.

Thanks guys. I will keep at it. We have had some success here in working with the AZGFD on these kinds of issues. The anti's continue to try and I will continue to fight back.

They tried to get mountain lion and bobcat hunting banned under the "trophy" hunting argument. That went down even before the vote.

We got to keep our night hunting season.

I have even written to the state AG when the anti's tried to attack Predator Masters at one of the conventions. They were protesting and when that didn't work they threatened to start protesting at members houses. THAT was too much and I wrote to the AG. That letter got some serious attention. I was interviewed by the AG's office as part of an investigation into the anti-hunting group.

Sadly, there are some in our own community that we have to contend with. I am on several FB hunting groups where the issue of "trophy" hunting comes up. Many of the hunters in those groups claim to be hunters and oppose "trophy" hunting. They claim to be hunters and claim that all hunters should use all of the animal. They don't seem to get that there isn't much to actually use on a coyote. They even claim to be "big" game hunters and don't see coyote hunting as legitimate hunting. THAT kind of mentality doesn't help.

There are different kinds of hunting that do not appeal to me so I choose not to participate. But just because I don't participate doesn't mean I am against those forms of hunting, and so long as they are legal, I will support the right to participate.

Originally Posted By: ThomCAt the commission meeting the staff lawyer only presented options to "ban contests". No options as to using these "contests" as a tool to help control predators in areas and times when Deer, Antelope, or Cows are birthing.

As hunters we have to provide more palatable options to show the average public that these are not just "KILLING FOR SPORT AND MONEY" as the anti hunting groups state. I would like to hear from some contestants on how to clean up the process. Concentrate on the positives that controlling predators will do for wildlife and people. For instance the predators harvested should be processed not just thrown in a pile for photos and left for the buzzards to clean up. There could be processing demonstrations showing how to properly take care of skins. I am sure there is a way to put to good use the meat and bones.

I am bringing this to the top as nobody came forth with any recommendations to clean up the contests.

In Arizona in the 50's, coyotes nearly wiped out the elk and antelope populations. Wildlife biologists thought it was poaching, then observed coyotes eating fawns. They poisoned the heck out of the coyotes.

This would be a good place to start.

Best wishes

I dont know about thumb twiddling. I have been contacting my political representatives in opposition of this and many other proposed bills regarding our second amendment rights.

Actually to get anything done you have to take a page out of the antis operating manual. Make t shirts and signs and organize a march.

A hunter goes out and busts a few coyotes and/or hunted and harvested a few crows and has accomplished more conservation by the time an animal rights/enviro gets out of bed to to spend a lifetime of sitting on their backside belly aching about some one else’s hard word and accomplish in a lifetime at it!

Three 44s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Three 44sA hunter goes out and busts a few coyotes and/or hunted and harvested a few crows and has accomplished more conservation by the time an animal rights/enviro gets out of bed to to spend a lifetime of sitting on their backside belly aching about some one else’s hard word and accomplish in a lifetime at it!

Three 44s

True, but we don't sell our side nearly as well or nearly as widely as the antis do. We have all the facts, they have all the emotion. In today's world, the latter gets more attention and votes. People don't want to be inconvenienced with facts. It takes effort to pay attention and actually think something through for themselves. It's easier to turn on reality TV...

Case in point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DesertRamTrue, but we don't sell our side nearly as well or nearly as widely as the antis do. We have all the facts, they have all the emotion. In today's world, the latter gets more attention and votes. People don't want to be inconvenienced with facts. It takes effort to pay attention and actually think something through for themselves. It's easier to turn on reality TV...

Case in point.

Checking out your link and saw we made their list;

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: DesertRamTrue, but we don't sell our side nearly as well or nearly as widely as the antis do. We have all the facts, they have all the emotion. In today's world, the latter gets more attention and votes. People don't want to be inconvenienced with facts. It takes effort to pay attention and actually think something through for themselves. It's easier to turn on reality TV...

Case in point.

Checking out your link and saw we made their list;

Far be it for the anti's to allow facts to get in the way of good rhetoric. I don't know how many times we have made the point that our CONVENTION is NOT a "contest." But regardless, they hear what they want to hear and think what they want to think.

So far, the responses that I have gotten from Commissioners and their staff is that they are looking to avoid a bigger push from the anti's which might include some legislation against hunting.

So far, they don't seem to want to hear that the more ground we give up the more they will take.

Yeah, that's half of why I posted that link. The other half is to show folks how those at the opposite end of the spectrum view our sport and their "success" with legislation. Will banning coyote contests in NM make any difference to conservation efforts funded by the very hunters these emotion-driven goofballs vilify? Of course not, but there they go singing their own praises and badmouthing us.

Back