Massachusetts predator hunters

Caller functioned last night, but no takers. All quiet out there. I've been staying in the hills of zone 4S, but hoping to make a stand in a WMA field before the season ends. Going to check some parking spots on the way home today.

So Saturday night about eight I took mo dog out an heard howling from five locations covering three towns. I think they were celebrating the end of the season !

Based on my poor success this season and seeing very few MA hunters posting about their success I'd say quite a few coyotes made it through the season.

Headed across the border to NY to call on some private land. Fresh coyote tracks in the snow, but no response. Oh yeah, on my 3rd stand I called in a bobcat. Just about 60 yards from my position. Of course, the season on them is closed.

Anyone here read about the proposed new coyote hunting regs ? Seems the F&W board is proposing a ban on "hunting contests" and also a wanton waste reg that would include coyotes. It was on the GOAL website, I skimmed through it earlier, but can't seem to bring it back up. Seems a coyote contest on Cape Cod last year stirred up some anti hunters, and now the board is considering a public hearing on the changes. Last spring at a hunter ed class I was working in Southwick the EPO that came to speak mentioned wanton waste, and the fact that Mass has no such law while addressing PR and not leaving dead coyotes around to offend non hunters.I didn't think much of it, at the time, and didn't question her further, but I know she's an avid trapper and skins and sells everything. Can't recall her name but she's a Lt. I think, and lives here in W.Mass. I don't know what that would mean for the mangy, or shot up yotes. I would guess if this comes to pass the on line reporting will fall off.

M.H.
Yes, the "dreaded coyote contests" are out, seems they were a scourge to humanity and had to go the way of the dodo bird. I do not know what
happened on the Cape, so I cant comment, and while I am one of the more serious dog hunters in my area, I have never been in a contest, I tend to keep a low profile due to this being the "Peoples Republik of Mass".

You will now have to tag your kills within 48 hours online, versus waiting and doing it before the season ends.

As for "wanton waste" not sure what that is.. but just have to say people need to use their heads, we need to make sure the public does not see dead coyotes laying around.

Sad thing is we have hunters who are morons and they give us good hunters a bad name...Low profile is the only way to hunt...

Just found it spelled out in the Berkshire Eagle. I agree on low profile. Really wish I could find a reliable market for them. Its coming up fast, good luck to all!

Mass, I see what your talking about, Mass Game just sent me email with a hearing notice. I thought it was a done deal, from what I read on their site..
One at Westborough, and one at Lee, let me know if you want to go, I may pop in, and voice my opinion about wanton waste B.S.

Got my first of the season this morning at 7;15, small male, didn't have my scale but he couldn't be over 30 pounds. Mange on the tail and face. First yote with my Drilling, 16 ga at about 20yds.
Played a male howl at 7, first light, and had 6 answers that I heard. There are a lot out there!

Got another male Tuesday morning, same stand, died right where the last one did. This was a real big male, but was so skunked up I didn't want to weigh him. My very first reloaded shot shell, one oz of NP BB 16 ga.

Just wondering, anybody here sell coyotes locally ? I really don't have a place to process them for shipping, but would like to earn a little if I could.

Thanks Mick, they have a drop off about an hour north of me, but my issue is a place to put them up.I need to sell in the round, or just skinned.

Shot a small, really mangy yote today on my fourth stand, did it a favor I think with the single digit temps we been having. When I got back to my truck there was a nice clean four door grey GMC parked right behind my dirty, dented , blue GMC. Just wondered if it was anyone on here and how you did.

Hey guys , new predator hunter this year I started really getting into it .i am from central mass and do a lot of hunting in oxford area. I got my first dog a few weeks ago and have been grinding ever since . Any advice ? I have 3 private spots and the rest are public land . The coyote came from a private spot where I’ve gotten 5 different dogs on camera since the day I shot that one . Im giving it 3 weeks before I call there again. I plan to call at night with the full moon coming if there is snow . Any advice or tips would be appreciated

If I had five different coyotes and shot one I'd go back. Maybe try different sounds, and another position. I have a stand in a pretty built up area where I usually shoot four for the last three years. Killed two there in Oct but only hunted it once since. Its very wind sensetive, and access is limited. Like turkey hunting, its all about the setup, with the added wind problem. I'm west of the Ct. river, but have been thru your area, have friends in Southboro. If you can find a thick area where they bed try getting in close at midday and use bird sounds or vole squeaks for a half hour or so, then sit quiet for another fifteen min. That has worked for me. Good luck and hope they aren't as mangy as mine have been.

Back