22 nosler feed issue

varminter .223

My buddy has an identical set up and his never fails to feed. On occasion mine will cock the right side of mag round up too far to the 10 or 11 oclock position and jam the bolt lug that is trying to feed it into the case just behind the shoulder. The lugs on the bolt seem to be exactly like two other new bolts I have here. I thought maybe there could be some wear on it but that doesn't seem to be the case. It does it with several different mags of different capacity and different bullets. At first trying to diagnose it I thought maybe my buffer setup was too heavy since it seemed to be more prevalent when I switched from 55 down to 50 grain bullets. I'm now running a carbine setup and it will lock back no problems. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Move across the river, that should solve all problems lol
What... You think communism is causing my feed issues
w00t.gif

Last edited:
Try holding the magazine up in the action while firing and see if you have any success!!From your description the bolt is not picking up the round but rather sliding over top!! May need to change the magazine latch!

I will have to look closer but the mag seems to be up tight in the well and it appears the rounds are coming up infront of the lug good. I slowly chambered a round the other night and the right side round flipped pointing up and left too far while coming forward out of the magazine when still in the feed lips. It does the same thing on a completely different lower . The only common denominator I see is the upper and the BCG which is a BCA side charge. I might try changing the bolt out. When the round tips up and the left the rim goes down under the bolt.

Last edited:
No...I did swap the bolts but I haven't shot it yet. I put a day scope on it last weekend but I just put together a 20 prac I've been trying to hammered out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223No...I did swap the bolts but I haven't shot it yet. I put a day scope on it last weekend but I just put together a 20 prac I've been trying to hammered out.

Your busy! Thanks for the reply. I was curious as I had the exact same feed issue but haven't had time to work with it.

Last edited:
I felt like mine was less than 100% reliable. I blame it on the rebated rim.

So was it fine for 2 years and now it's messing up?

My buddies rifle, which he bought off me is the same parts except for his being rifle gas instead of rifle plus 2 and his never missed a beat. Seems like I had a few issues early on but then never had a problem until I switch to the 50 grain Nosler ballistic tips from the 55s. I'm not sure if I've ever had a problem with it on the bench but the problem shows up off of a tripod. It seems that would make it a recoil related issue. I've had multiple buffer systems and lowers on it and it didn't seem to matter. I've also tried multiple mags and different capacity mags. Hopefully I'll get some time with it this weekend to see if I can figure something out.

Last edited:
Bent the front half of mag lips up a tad .....so far so good. I was afraid that might kick the rear down a little bit but so far it's working. If it fails to feed again I'll try to bend the whole lip up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Sometimes the problems can be related to the feedramps or even the gas systems. Lighter bullets typically mean more powder and therefore higher pressures and faster bolt speeds. Sometimes newer feedramp lips can be a bit sharp and can snag the cases as they try to go up the ramps. Many barrel manufacturers use regular M4 feedramps on all their barrels and this can cause a problem when you have a wider case.

My 22 Noslers feed real good if I only put in 7 or 8 rds in a 10 rd mag. If I put in 10 rds there is a issue with it feeding. Anyone else have that problem?

Originally Posted By: 1lessdogMy 22 Noslers feed real good if I only put in 7 or 8 rds in a 10 rd mag. If I put in 10 rds there is a issue with it feeding. Anyone else have that problem?

Any of my 6.8 based stuff including my 22 nosler dont like a full Mag. I use all ASC mags

Back