Making a new rifle selection for coyotes!

bowhunter57

I've had my share of "runners" with 5.56. Granted the shot placement wasn't the best, due to them being on the move. However, I've taken the same shots with 243 and 25-06 and they dropped in their tracks.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the killing power of the 300 BlackOut and 450 Bushmaster, for coyotes. Shots will be inside 250 yards and I'm not saving the furs.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Holy Rainbow Trajectory Batman! Those wouldn't be my choices, though they certainly should smack a coyote.
Is factory ammo a must? And I assume you're thinking ar? Factory ammo, not saving fur, I'd probably go Grendel or 6.8 in an AR or if you want to spend a bit look at the 243 from DPMS g2.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARIs factory ammo a must? And I assume you're thinking ar? Factory ammo, not saving fur, I'd probably go Grendel or 6.8 in an AR or if you want to spend a bit look at the 243 from DPMS g2.

204 AR,
* No factory ammo. I reload for everything except shotgun.
* Definitely an AR platform.
* I used to own a heavy barrel Savage in 243 and miss that rifle. An AR-10 in 243 would be the best of hard hitting and flat trajectory.

Thank you, sir!
Bowhunter57

Yeah the 243 is just a good round, no getting around it. That g2 handles about like an ar15, just haven't seen any in the wild or heard any range reports.

I shoot both the blackout and 6.8 in an Ar. The blackout hits hard and is great at that 100 yard range that most shots present themselves in Arizona but if I am in a contest I always take the 6.8. If you are going to consider a 250 yard shot the 6.8 is the better tool of those two.

The 450 will have the approximate trajectory of a muzzleloader but it should smack the crap out of them.

I wasn't pleased with a lot of the performance of the average .223 bullets and weights. I've been shooting the 68gr hornadys for years now and have been more than pleased with them but they do make a mess sometimes.

Originally Posted By: crapshootThe 450 will have the approximate trajectory of a muzzleloader but it should smack the crap out of them.

I wasn't pleased with a lot of the performance of the average .223 bullets and weights. I've been shooting the 68gr hornadys for years now and have been more than pleased with them but they do make a mess sometimes.

crapshoot,
My thought with the 450 was duel purpose. Here in Ohio, it's a legal deer gun cartridge. I think I'd be better served to stick to a coyote ONLY killing cartridge and pass on the 450.

I've loaded some 55 gr. V-Max bullets for my 5.56 @ 2900 fps. That's only 600 fps slower than my 22-250, but even so, I don't trust it to be the "bang flop" rifle that I prefer.

I may have to look into a 6.5 Creedmoor upper. Never heard any bad reports about the killing performance from this cartridge.
thumbup1.gif

Bowhunter57

I switched from my 223 to a 22 nosler. Factory loads are about 300 fps faster. I don't hand load, but those that do can get real close to 22-250 velocity. So this may be an option for you if you want to stay in the ar-15 platform. You may even have enough money left over to buy a 450 upper for deer hunting. That is what I do with my rock river 223. During deer season I put on the 450, coyote season back to the 223 for day hunting. (My nosler is my night rig) I got my 22 nosler from DTECH Uppers.
It is NOT a 243 though, but somewhere in between the 223 and a 243 as far as anchoring them. With a 243 you can hit them in the toenail and they go down! But if you hand load, you may get alot more out of the Nosler than factory ammo. Give the gentlemen at DTECH a call and they can help.

Last edited:
6x6.8 with 70 bts with about 29.7 ar comp and a 450 primer. 3265 fps not to hard on brass or a 22 Nosler. Then there's the six DTI but you got a fire forming step involved not that you can't hunt while fire forming. The 75 Vmax in 6 mm is also brutal on coyotes. If you go really cheap about a 20 or 22 inch 6x45 shooting 55 or 58 would be good medicine too. The DTI and a 6 x 6.8 will also run 55 or 58's 3500 to mid 3600's depending on the powder.

Last edited:
The .450 Bushmaster is a HARD hitting thumper. About like a 12 gauge slug. But it has the same kind of trajectory. Since you said you were thinking of hunting deer with it AND coyotes that would be a good combo gun. I have built and shot them and out to 100 yards they shoot great. So as long as you set up your stands that way you should be good.

My NV is on a 10.5 .300BO . It will reach 250 on yotes fine shooting 110gr ballistic tips but I wouldn't want to push it much past that at this point .

Best to look into the 500 auto max, 4,000+ ft/lbs of energy with some loads.

Can't be too careful.

Single shot TC Encore rifle length in the 500 S&W with the 700gr hardcast load may take them down too.

Though let's face it, that 440 grain massive hollow point at good speed through that rifle would be amusing on a coyote. The 630gr grand canyon may too, but the 440 could be pushed faster and may explode better.

I am getting old. Looks like people have lost their ever loving minds on AR's.

I like flat shooting and hard hitting. So, on an AR platform, I would start at 6-6.8 and never look back. I am so anal, I would have to have a reamer ground for a 55-70g Nosler ballistic tip just for good measure with zero to .020 freebore. Unbelievable success is sure to follow.

Also, a 22 Nosler properly twisted with proper throat geometry for 55g bullets is going to be pure success on coyotes...pass the 55g Sierra blitz lead tip.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI am getting old. Looks like people have lost their ever loving minds on AR's.

I like flat shooting and hard hitting. So, on an AR platform, I would start at 6-6.8 and never look back. I am so anal, I would have to have a reamer ground for a 55-70g Nosler ballistic tip just for good measure with zero to .020 freebore. Unbelievable success is sure to follow.

Also, a 22 Nosler properly twisted with proper throat geometry for 55g bullets is going to be pure success on coyotes...pass the 55g Sierra blitz lead tip.

+1

If you're into reloading then 6x6.8, if not then 6.8 spc.
I have both and a 300BO. 6x6.8 is first choice.
Only time I take out the 300BO is when shots will be 100 yards or less.

Back