Last Stand

Snowshoes

Well with it still being cool out, I decided to get one last hunt in. My wife had a doctor’s appointment in the city at 11:00 a.m. which would mean we needed to leave home shortly after 9:00 a.m.
I knew I had time to get a quick hunt before breakfast so I was up at 5:45 a.m. and ready for first light.
A quick look at my weather station showed -19C (-2F) but the breeze would bring those temperatures down to -27C (-17F)
Left the yard at 6:35 a.m. and I knew I wouldn’t have time to watch those coyote trails this morning, so instead it was a hunt a couple miles from home. Parked the truck, then walked a quarter mile north on a lease road to try call a coyote from the rolling fields and the vast slough bottoms.
I set up on the edge of a thin row of trees and after getting settled in, I start off with a couple howls. Almost instantly, I get a group from the southwest and what sounds like a pair to the northwest returning howls. A short wait before I howl again but this time I get no answers back.
For some reason, I felt like I should look behind me and sure enough, I see a pair of coyotes trotting across the field towards me. I quickly turn around when the coyotes are out of sight. I watch the lead coyote stops twice to scratch a spot in the snow with its hind legs and mark its territory. The coyotes are taking advantage of the wind swept hill tops for ease of travel and on the third stop I have the cross hairs placed on the lead coyotes chest. A 161 yard shot has coyote # 56 down.

Well this is my last coyote hunt for the season as the fur quality is dropping. Also I see the temperatures are to be around the freezing mark by the weekend.
For some reason, this coyote season seemed to fly by!

Snowshoes:

I, too, enjoy your posts as the season progresses.

Will you favor us with a post on what your furs brought on average for the 2019 season?
Do you earn as much per pelt as those "silvers" from the Rocky Mountain High Country?
Any big plans for what you will buy with the fur proceeds?

Warm up - inside - the next cold morning with a cup of java for a season well done!

Thanks for sharing your season again with us. Always enjoy the stories and pics...
Maybe if you get a chance, have your skinner post a picture of all the hides before they get shipped..... if at all possible.
Again thanks, it did seem to go by fast

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerCongrats on your last coyote. I enjoy your stories a lot. Keep up the good work!
Thank you Yotarunner, I appreciate the comments.

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialSnowshoes:

I, too, enjoy your posts as the season progresses.

Will you favor us with a post on what your furs brought on average for the 2019 season?
Do you earn as much per pelt as those "silvers" from the Rocky Mountain High Country?
Any big plans for what you will buy with the fur proceeds?

Warm up - inside - the next cold morning with a cup of java for a season well done!

Thank you, BuckeyeSpecial
I had 16 coyotes and one fox on the past NAFA sale. My top coyote was $172 USD and my average was $120 USD. The fox never sold.
Held 6 smaller coyotes back but they will be added with the other’s for the upcoming NAFA May sale.
Bellow is my sales results.
Lot 131605- $172 USD
Lot 131622-$140
Lot 131624 -$140
Lot 131630 $$148
Lot 131634-$140
Lot 131771-$112
Lot 131800 $140 (2)
Lot 131808-$144
Lot 131817-$140
Lot 131822-$120
Lot 131828 -$100 (2)
Lot 131840-$100
Lot 131918 -$43 (2)

I now have the opportunity of to sleep in this weekend, I won't but I do have the opportunity. Likely I'll sit back with a good cup of coffee and reminisce of the past weekends.

Nothing really planned for the fur cheque but likely my wife and I will go on a 2 to 3 week camping/golfing holiday with the funds.

Originally Posted By: fratriThanks for sharing your season again with us. Always enjoy the stories and pics...
Maybe if you get a chance, have your skinner post a picture of all the hides before they get shipped..... if at all possible.
Again thanks, it did seem to go by fast

Thank you fratri
I do have some pictures my skinner sent me but not all coyotes are included in those pictures. The group of 13 was sent to the first sale (along with 3 others and a fox)

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on your last kill. WTG. As always great pictures with the story to bring us along with you. Thanks
Thank you lockrotor, you comments have always been appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip Snowshoes love your stories and pics! Find a .17 9 twist barrel and I got a full box(200) old kindler golds ready for Alberta. Got over 800 left so that’s most of a lifetime for pei coyote hunting. 17-204 reamer ready for you too!

Another great year for you snowshoes, you have a gift for telling the stories about the hunts, and your pictures are top notch.Thanks for taking the time to write about and photograph your hunts!

Originally Posted By: P&YOh no! Snowshoes I was just getting used to your stories. Thanks for sharing!
lol, Thank you P&Y
Originally Posted By: Displayed NameThanks for the trip Snowshoes love your stories and pics! Find a .17 9 twist barrel and I got a full box(200) old kindler golds ready for Alberta. Got over 800 left so that’s most of a lifetime for pei coyote hunting. 17-204 reamer ready for you too!
I just got my gun cabinet thinned down lol. It's tempting Ryan, very tempting. Thank you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jnormanAnother great year for you snowshoes, you have a gift for telling the stories about the hunts, and your pictures are top notch.Thanks for taking the time to write about and photograph your hunts!
Thank you for the fine comments jnormam.

I have enjoyed your stories and pics the last few years. Always keeps me coming back to the forums. Well done again, Have a Great year and see you again next winter, luder...

Originally Posted By: luderI have enjoyed your stories and pics the last few years. Always keeps me coming back to the forums. Well done again, Have a Great year and see you again next winter, luder...
Thank you luder
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrDang ss I guess I'll have to put the popcorn away till next year. I love reading your stories.
Thanks crittr gittr, See you next October

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickWhat am awesome season !!! Congrats & have a great off season !
Thank you Pa. Mick.
Once the snow is off the pastures, it will be time to thin out some gophers.

Back