6 creedmoor with light bullets

shelton573

I had posted a while back before I built my 6 creedmoor about some light bullet loads. I used to clank long range steel with it pretty regular with Berger 105s but have not had time to do that in a year or so. We are planning a prairie dog trip for June and instead of letting it sit in the gun safe, I figured I may bring it along. I’ll have the 105 vld load for long range shooting but thought it may be fun to run some 55-58 gr bullets out of it. My questions are below:

Will the 55-58 gr varmint bullets hold together in a 1:8 twist?
If anyone has ran that weight bullet out of the 6 creedmoor, what powder did you have good luck with? I shot 70 gr blitz Kong’s with varget I believe it was right when I finished the rifle and they were right around half inch with a couple charges and no real load development.

Any info is much appreciated!

Shelton, the biggest problem you are going to have is that you have somewhere between .105-199 freebore in your 6 Creed when NEW. This of course means that you will not be able to get anywhere near the lands with your 70's. If you have been banging on steel, I would bet your leade has grown SUBSTANTIALLY since new.

87g V max is probably where you may have the best success now due to bullet jump, and the BC will help you in the wind where 10 mph is considered calm.

Best wishes

Try some Nosler 55gr LFBT. They are very long for their weight(.950"). You should be able to hit 4000fps with them from the data I've seen. Sorry, I shoot a .243. 6 Creed is a great one though!

My friend shoots 69 grain Bergers in his 6CM with 414 powder. 80 grain Noslers and 4350 shoot pretty good in mine. Both are 7.5 twist barrels.

My 6 CM also has a 8" 5R Bartlein .I bet I've had 600 rounds thru it. I'm planning on shooting some 70gr Nosler BT . Sounds like H4350 will work for that also ? What about Reloader #16 ?

Originally Posted By: ackleymanShelton, the biggest problem you are going to have is that you have somewhere between .105-199 freebore in your 6 Creed when NEW. This of course means that you will not be able to get anywhere near the lands with your 70's. If you have been banging on steel, I would bet your leade has grown SUBSTANTIALLY since new.

87g V max is probably where you may have the best success now due to bullet jump, and the BC will help you in the wind where 10 mph is considered calm.

Best wishes

Thanks for the reply! My barrel was spec’d at .105 freebore when new if I remember correctly. I’d say the 87s would still make a good splatter and give long range performance without switching bullets. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: desertcjTry some Nosler 55gr LFBT. They are very long for their weight(.950"). You should be able to hit 4000fps with them from the data I've seen. Sorry, I shoot a .243. 6 Creed is a great one though!

Thanks for the reply! What is the LFBT? Might be a stupid question but can’t find anything on that. Thanks! BTW, I shoot a 243 and a 6 creedmoor, both for different applications. Both are great!

Lead Free Ballistic Tip. Out of stock most places. Nosler is behind schedule, they had a scheduled production run slated for Jan/Feb but are waiting on components. No estimation of when they'll start a run or when they'll hit the shelves.

Originally Posted By: ironworkerMy 6 CM also has a 8" 5R Bartlein .I bet I've had 600 rounds thru it. I'm planning on shooting some 70gr Nosler BT . Sounds like H4350 will work for that also ? What about Reloader #16 ?

I know this is an older posting, but did you ever get around to shooting the 70gr Nosler BT's in your 6CM ??

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: ironworkerMy 6 CM also has a 8" 5R Bartlein .I bet I've had 600 rounds thru it. I'm planning on shooting some 70gr Nosler BT . Sounds like H4350 will work for that also ? What about Reloader #16 ?

I know this is an older posting, but did you ever get around to shooting the 70gr Nosler BT's in your 6CM ??

No sir I ran the 70 gr blitz king in it for load development. I can't remember off hand what powders I used (I think it was Varget and H4895) but I got both powders to shoot half inch pretty easy with no real load work. I stopped messing with it and went back to 105s for shooting 1000 yds+. I haven't shot long range steel in a while with the gun and don't know that I will anymore. I want to rebarrel it to a different caliber, so I am going to revisit the 70 gr bullets and try some 55 gr NBT for shooting prairie dogs in South Dakota. Going to finish off the barrel and move on to something else and I figure that's the fastest way to do it.

I have no interest in shooting the heavies for this build so it'll mostly be 70 grainers for me and, maybe, an occasional 95 grainer.

My barrel has a .104 freebore if I remember correctly and a 1-8” twist for shooting heavy bullets and it still did well with the 70 gr bullets while just running through powder charges. They were no where near the lands and still did well. If I work with the load I’m sure they would do great so I’m sure whatever you do will work out alright.

for lighter bullets, go .060 freebore max, better .030 because there is .014 coming off the case mouth.

I am working on a 6 XC with .030 freebore....targets coming.

I've tried to get the 55 gr Noslers to shoot in my two 6mm Creedmoors but they don't like them unless I slow them down. So for the moment I've settled on 80 gr Nosler BT as my Varmint bullets in my Creedmoors.

My smith sent me a pic of the test target he just shot with my new 6mm CM using 44gr RL16 and Nosler 70gr Ballistic Tips .010 off touching and it put three into a tiny little group that measured .205

What length freebore was the reamer. I've got one that I've been wanting to try the lighter pills in. Mine is .104"

Back