Larger bino case or hunting/hiking pack first?

000shock

Hey guys, hope im posting in the right place for pack questions. Anyways...

Ive been keeping my eyes open for a hunting/hiking pack for a while and think ive settled on the badlands clutch, but need to save up a bit more before i can get it. I like the capacity for weekend trips, plus the detachable bag for quick hikes and whatnot.

I also want to get a bino/rangefinder case. Again, i like the badlands options with the mag closure. The specific model i havent decided yet, but thats why im here.

Thinking predator hunting over hiking, would i be better off getting a larger bino case with some storage, like the bino xr, or keep saving for a full pack. Really just going to have hand calls and smaller stuff for a while. If you have both, and had to give up one, which one would it be? Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: 000shockIf you have both, and had to give up one, which one would it be? Thanks guys!

The answer to you question really depends on your manner of predator hunting. Do you hunt mostly from a vehicle with shorter hikes, or do you head out on foot for the day and cover miles? Most of my calling is done by the first method, so I'm best served by my AGC chest rig, aka the Snuggle Buddy, to keep most of my gear organized - bino, rangefinder, GPS, camera, wind checker, a couple hand calls, spare ammo, and a couple other things I'm probably forgetting. I carry this rig for all of my hunting - short walks from the truck to a stand, longer day hikes, backpacking, and overnighters. I don't leave home without it. On the flip side, I rarely carry a pack for predator hunting, though I use a Mojo Critter Sitter sometimes that has straps and works like a pack.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: 000shockIf you have both, and had to give up one, which one would it be? Thanks guys!

The answer to you question really depends on your manner of predator hunting. Do you hunt mostly from a vehicle with shorter hikes, or do you head out on foot for the day and cover miles? Most of my calling is done by the first method, so I'm best served by my AGC chest rig, aka the Snuggle Buddy, to keep most of my gear organized - bino, rangefinder, GPS, camera, wind checker, a couple hand calls, spare ammo, and a couple other things I'm probably forgetting. I carry this rig for all of my hunting - short walks from the truck to a stand, longer day hikes, backpacking, and overnighters. I don't leave home without it. On the flip side, I rarely carry a pack for predator hunting, though I use a Mojo Critter Sitter sometimes that has straps and works like a pack. Yea, most of my hunting will be done from within a mile or maybe two of my pickup. Fair point i never thought about there. I figured i would probably get the most use from a chest rig first, but dont want to get caught up in an “i want” infatuation instead of something that might be more practical. Still would love to hear more opinions and experiences from others. Thanks Ram!

Oh, fwiw, i tried to google agc snuggle buddy, because i havent heard of this model yet. Needless to say i think the wife might get a little pi55ed if she saw my browser history right now!

My binoculars are on a chest harness 100% of the time when I'm hunting - they do me no good packed in any sort of chest or backpack.

While I can't recommend any specific packs, it always amazes me how much some of these newfangled packs weigh EMPTY! Extra foam that serves no purpose, hard frames that only add weight, 1 lb. of molle straps to get tangled in brush, etc. Good luck.

Back