Clip on NV from HTRN

Str8Shooter

Anyone using the clip on NV setup from High Tech Redneck that mounts to the back of a day scope? I've got some renewed interest in the setup and would like to hear some reviews.

He has 2 types I believe. The MX-160 clip-on and the PVS-4 clip-on. Both perform very well from what I have see. Give him a call. He is a straight shooter. I bought my D740 and a Nemisis gen 2+ from him and he'll back anything he sells. Kevin Wort is his name.

Originally Posted By: Str8ShooterAnyone using the clip on NV setup from High Tech Redneck that mounts to the back of a day scope? I've got some renewed interest in the setup and would like to hear some reviews.

I have a PVS-14 I got from Kevin I use it behind a Bushnell Elite 6500 works fine. What would you like to know?

Str8Shooter said:
I was just curious about performance, overall clarity, detection range, etc

Clarity is good, I have killed coyotes 300yards, good IR get you close to 500 yards ID. A side focus scope is a must 6500 elite works good I am sure there are others. I can run the 6500 up to about 14 power. This is not as good as GEN3 dedicated night vision, because you are looking through more glass. By the way 300yards is a long shot here, can't see 300yards here most places

Last edited:
Go thermal if you can afford it. I have a Gen 3 Clip on that stays in the safe as we grab thermal almost every time. The system to mount on the back of the scope is half butt at best. I had one, used it one time and then bought what I should have to begin with.

I am fairly new to Night Vision I bought an MX-160 clip on from Kevin and I love it. Longest shot so far has been 180yds but no problem. I am going thermal for scanning but the clip on will be with me every set. I must also mention which ever way you go give Kevin a call he will treat you right.

Ill Dog Chaser

I have the MX 160 in gen 3 with the Beta tube.It works very well and i've killed a bunch of coyotes and fox with it.A lot of them well over 200 yards.Kevin is a great guy and gives great customer service.

I would recommend thermal. especially here in wisconsin where i hunt there is not alot of wide open spaces to call. mostly a patch work of farm fields and wooded areas. i find that most of my calling is trying to draw coyotes out of cover. And i find that with cover as a backdrop night vision does not work very well. Whereas thermal works very well with cover as a backdrop. I do have to say snow on the ground really improves the performance of night vision.

just my 2 cents.

I'm still torn... I'd agree with the comment about snow, it definitely helps but we don't always have it. What type of setup are you using?

Str8Shooter I started with pvs-14 i bought off of craigs list and used it with the HTRN clip on adapter. I would scan with the PVS-14 and try to clip it on when something was in bound. I had two issues with this:

1. considering the close quarters of our sets i really struggled to get the 14 clipped on the scope in time to acquire the target and shoot

2. considering wisconsin does not allow us to scan with an IR illuminator i keep it turned off until something is inbound. Without snow it is nearly impossible to spot a coyote without turning on the illuminator.

i currently have two rigs setup. i have a 17 remington with a Trijicon MK11 35mm and a tac-20 with a night optic d750 night vision scope. My son and i hunt together and we mount both guns on rigid tripods. We standup while calling so we like to hunt on very dark nights and on moon lit nights we stand in the shadows of trees.

I also have a trijicon 250 patrol thermal that i use to scan with when using the d750 and my son scans with the MK11 35mm on the tripod.

i hardly use my pvs14 and do not use the HTRN clip on device at all. If you have an interest in the clip on i would sell it to you for $100. and if you want to purchase a used PVS14 i would be willing to sell it for a reasonable price.

i dont know how close you are. I'm located in Somerset if you wanted to stop by and take a look.

Shaun, thanks for the info. I currently use a Helion XP 28 for scanning, so my plan for the PVS-14 would be to leave it on the gun so it's ready to go at all times. I like the idea of a thermal scope, but the cost factor and positive ID that NV offers still has me undecided. Does your clip-on setup mount in front of the scope or behind it?

If Shaun is using the HTRN Jack Rabbit mount then the PVS-14 would mount to the rear bell of your scope. I personally have the same set up with an MX-160 and with practice it attaches very quickly to the scope if you are using your NV to scan. I am going to thermal for scanning there are just some situations where thermal works better at least for scanning. What I like about the HTRN mount is you can use your scope during the day. just take off the Clip-On device leave the mount on the scope and you are ready for the daylight.

Hope this helps

Ill Dog Chaser

Last edited:
Yes I am very happy with my set. mainly because I am able to use my day scope for night or day hunting. POI from my experience does not change with the clip-on on or off and as I said you do not need to re-sight just pop it off and you are ready to go 1 gun 1 scope.

Hope this helps

Ill Dog Chaser

Back