Help! Not a Bird Watcher, but I watch birds,

hm1996

Staff member
and have never seen this hawk before. Anyone know what it is?

47295292981_1a2ac706bb_z.jpg

Regards,
hm

Pretty sure that is a Swainson's hawk. Would have a dark u shaped bib neck/upper chest and light underside wings/dark edges. The falcon would have a dark capped head with a lighter throat two toned even looks fast sitting and a yellow beak.

Last edited:
I've never seen Peregrine falcons on this ranch, but we do have them along the coast and this ranch is within 25 miles of the coast, so could be. What threw me was the absence of the white vertical markings in the sideburn area of the head. Also this bird seemed a bit bigger and stockier than the Peregrines I have seen, but I see lots of variations in pictures of the markings and some of those pictured appear to be built like the one I saw. Could be a peregrine??

Thanks for all the comments.

Regards,
hm

The tail doesn’t look right to me. Better pic of the head would do the trick.

My great uncle was very big into falconry. My grandmother was big into song birds. I imagine that is where I got my fascination of them. I have spent many a cold winter morning drinking coffee and watching birds at the feeder, next thing I know it is noon and the day is half gone.
Call me goofy, but fish in an aquarium and birds at a feeder I find very therapeutic.

Peregrine eyes are not round and would have yellowish border. Ferruginous hawk should have darker leg feathers, but I have not seen an immature. Seems like an immature redtail but no scale to reference.

Back