Interesting Sunday Morning

SouthPaw0180

Still unable to post my first success pics, had 2 coyotes come in a few weeks ago and missed, but that's a different story. Sunday morning I was set up just inside the woods with a field to my back. Wind in my face. Had cottontail distress playing for about 5 minutes and catch movement off to my right. I'm thinking this is finally going to happen! Wrong, turns out to be 4 deer working towards me without a care in the world. I'm thinking "there's supposed to be something dieing over here and these deer could care less." So i turn on fawn distress just to mess with them and they actually perk up and start dancing around looking for one of their own. This goes on for about a minute or so and i start to wonder what they would do if they heard a howl. So i play one howl, instantly the deer take off running, and out in front of me 2 or 3 coyote start sounding off like crazy. Howling and barking. I sit in silence for 3 minutes or so just watching, nothing. Howl again, they respond. Wait another few minutes, still cant see anything. They were definitely close, but not close enough to see through thick woods. Howl one more time, nothing. Went back to distress sounds for a bit and nothing. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what happened? What would you have done differently? Still learning, but getting closer to success...I think...

Spooking deer is also an alert signal to yotes.
In general, yotes know alert signals of critters around them.
Little critters might interest them but big ones (deer) are a caution.
Had a buck snort at me and stomp away - end of that stand.

Back