Pulsar Trail M56Fi 'MIL dot reticle'

JCCinOhio

Has anyone that knows what they are doing evaluated this reticle? I figured I'd give mil dot a try and it just doesn't seem like the dots are spaced correctly. I have two known targets in my yard, a 30" at 180yds, and 12" at 130yds.. Should be about 4.6 mil, and 2.6 mil respectively if my math is right. I'm getting 8 and almost 4 from the M56Fi reticle.

Using the following formula.. (Target inches X 27.78)/MILs = Range in yards

Edit: Actually.. has anyone verified any of the reticles in the reticle catalog for their scope? I've been using the X51i on my XQ50 Trail, but only close shots so far.. How close are the MOA measurements to accurate.. or is that a pipe dream? (I know it needs to be at base mag to be accurate according to Pulsar).

Thanks

Last edited:
I would make a call to sellmark and see what they say. More than likely this distance and measuremnts are in meteic. Instead of 180 yards you might try 100 meters and 200 meters and see if that is where the difference is.

Last edited:
I don't believe the mil-dot reticle is metric or standard.. Dot's are spaced at a certain angle difference (milliradian). Whether it's yards or meters depends on the formula you use.

So wife got home late last night from work, so I verified the MOA values on the x51i reticle. Well at least E, F, G, H, I, & J. Made up a board with foil tape cut to the proper lengths, put the board at 100 meters.. and the values lined up well as far as I could tell. It also works with PiP zoomed to 5.4, but is out the window with PiP on 10.8..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JCCinOhioI don't believe the mil-dot reticle is metric or standard.. Dot's are spaced at a certain angle difference (milliradian). Whether it's yards or meters depends on the formula you use.

I understand that and i agree that the mil dot is not made according to one or the other. What I'm trying to relay is, Pulsar more than likely set the reticle up to match the standard spacings at a distance backed in meters rather than standard American yards like you are using.

The reticles, if accurate, will only be so at a specific power range as the reticle does not change in size or reduce in size when the zoom feature is used... like a FFP scope does.

Second, at distance, say beyond 100 yards, I don't think the image will be sharp/clear enough for .1 MIL reads, which is a must for accurate distance estimation.

1 MIL at 100 yards is 3.6" so space out targets 3.6" center to center and see if the dots line up and if so on what power setting.

ETA- correct, the MIL based reticle is based off of the angular measurement of a radian, a MIL is 1/1000th of a radian.

As you may already know, most SFP scopes generally are only accurate at max power unless otherwise indicated on the dial.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptThe reticles, if accurate, will only be so at a specific power range as the reticle does not change in size or reduce in size when the zoom feature is used... like a FFP scope does.

Actually I think this is wrong.

See here. Search the page for M56Fi. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:68P0GMZ5wsgJ:www.pulsar-nv.com/press-room/news/v2-0-0-firmware-update-for-helion-and-trail/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's what it says: "A new reticle has been added to the reticle selection menu - M56Fi. This Mil-dot reticle can be zoomed in and out with regard to its ballistic characteristics, similar to reticles located in the first focal plane. Just select this reticle in the menu and press zoom button to see how it gets bigger."

Originally Posted By: GotEmOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptThe reticles, if accurate, will only be so at a specific power range as the reticle does not change in size or reduce in size when the zoom feature is used... like a FFP scope does.

Actually I think this is wrong.

See here. Search the page for M56Fi. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:68P0GMZ5wsgJ:www.pulsar-nv.com/press-room/news/v2-0-0-firmware-update-for-helion-and-trail/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's what it says: "A new reticle has been added to the reticle selection menu - M56Fi. This Mil-dot reticle can be zoomed in and out with regard to its ballistic characteristics, similar to reticles located in the first focal plane. Just select this reticle in the menu and press zoom button to see how it gets bigger."

Ahhhh haaa… good to know, I stand corrected.

Does 1 mil dot equal 10cm on the x axis? It looks like it does on the y axis (B reading) but on the x axis it looks like the line is drawn approximately 1 3/4 up (A) reading. Or does it mean each mil dot is 10cm on each axis and they just have pointed to each axis in a different spot.

I use m56i reticle and use the values giving by pulsar in MOA and the last few yotes I have shot I have ranged than compared the range I got with my radius to the moa reticle using the formula,target size \ target size in moa x95.5. It's usually within ten yards of my range finder.

I looked at that reticle on Pulsar Trail XP50 LRF reticles link that was provided. I'm not too familiar with mildot reticles. Can someone please explain what section A, section B and section 3 mean in the diagram for that reticle?

Or in layman's terms, when I see a coyote out there at some unknown distance, how to I use the mildots to determine how far out he is and how many mildots I might need to hold over or to hold left or right depending on wind? I'd like to get better at this until a quality rangefinder is on the market. Or if I get really comfy with the mildot I probably won't need a rangefinder!

Back