54 & 55

Snowshoes

A quick look at the weather station yesterday morning proved winter wasn’t quite done with us yet! Minus 32 C ( -26F) ambient temperature and a wind-chill of -39 (-38F) as I stepped out of the house. The shot of cold air on the face didn’t seem quite “right” for March 2nd.
To the feedlot on the creek valley was where I planned to hunt and once there, I noticed the temperature had dropped to -38C ( -36F) ............. guessing a wind-chill to be in the minus forties.
A recently plowed trail to the dugout’s pumphouse in the creek valley, was a very welcomed sight as I made my way from the truck.
Each footstep on the frigid packed snow squeaked to decibels that I feared would alert every coyote in the area .
A light fog of ice crystals hung in the air throughout the valley and I estimated the temperature to be in the minus forties at the lower elevation. Heated vest and gloves were powered on, along with multiple layers of clothing made the trek bearable.
I set up at the dugout in very chilled conditions but I felt relatively comfortable even though my eyelashes kept threatening to freeze together with each eye blink. The protective nose piece on my facemask was already frozen solid but here I sat as happy as a frosty coyote hunter could be.
Watching trails but there was zero coyote sightings after 40 minutes so it was time to change plans. A couple howls from a cow horn howler gets responses from coyotes across the valley to the south and from the feedlot itself. I wait a few minutes and decide to try some distress calls to see if I could entice a coyote to within rifle range. The distress calls gets action but unfortunately the four coyotes that came to investigate are standing on a large dirt pile amongst the cattle. Try as I might I could not get these coyotes to budge from their lookout location. They are scanning the valley for that phantom coyote but none are willing to move for a closer look. I am wishing I had my coyote decoy with as it would likely have helped in this situation. The coyotes eventually lose interest after fifteen minutes of my various calls and leave the area without me firing a shot. Enough cold weather hunting for one morning, so I decided to be homeward bound.

This morning was somewhat warmer at -29C (-20F) & a wind-chill of -36C (-33F) but the air still had a sharp bite to it. The coyote trail I watched last week was where I would head this morning. The truck was parked in a different location this time around and it shouldn’t be picked out by those keen eyes who happen to be traveling the trail.
I underestimated the time it would take to cover the extra distance to my lookout spot and found myself setting up in very lighted conditions. A quick scan of the area shows a coyote 600 yards to the west and a few minutes later a coyote 500 yards to the east. Five minutes later the sun was fully up and seeing anything to the southeast would be tough. A few more minutes pass before seeing an east bound coyote coming down the trail. The coyote stops and looks back to the west, I can now see it’s waiting for its partner to catch up. I take the opportunity to get ready for the two coyotes arrival. Although set up at a willow bush on the fence line, I could have been sitting in the wide open as the sun was directly in the coyotes eyes.
Once the two are together, they continue their eastward journey and at roughly a 125 yards out, they stop once again. The crosshairs are on the lead coyote and with a touch of the trigger, down goes coyote #54.

The other coyote trots back the way it came but stops to take a look for its partner. The crosshairs are swung onto it and down goes coyote #55. (Shot at roughly 195 yards)
I’m thinking the lead coyote was likely the female and the last coyote was a male who was reluctant to leave her behind.

Five minutes pass and I see the figure of another coyote coming down the trail but it hits the brakes when it sees the last coyote shot. I hoped it would continue its journey but it turned around and leaves the area.
With two coyotes down and not expecting to see any other’s, I pack up and walk back for the truck. Using the coyote trail to collect the coyotes proved to be a very well packed route of travel which my legs appreciated! As I thought, the lead coyote was a female and the second a male.

Last edited:
Wow, those are some cold temps you have there.... Nice going on the double.... Always enjoy your stories and pics
Congrats

Originally Posted By: lockrotorDouble Congrats, one for the double coyote, and another for the minus temperature outside. WTG Snowshoes
Thank you lockrotor, I sometimes question myself for going out in those conditions but its soon forgotten after connecting on a coyote or two.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerNice job! Those look like great dogs especially for this time of year.
The fur was better than I thought it might be. I'm thinking I got a bonus weekend hunt in.

Originally Posted By: P&YReally enjoy your hunts! Your one tough hunter and good shot for sure!
Thank you P&Y, For years, coyote hunting has been a real passion for me. I still enjoy getting out in the elements
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fratriWow, those are some cold temps you have there.... Nice going on the double.... Always enjoy your stories and pics
Congrats
Thank you Frank, It's looking like the weather is to warm up which will be welcomed by many (maybe not me so much)
smile.gif

Back