Getting gas in the face

Coyotejunki

I am shooting suppressed, so I imagine that contributes to the blow back getting in my eyes when I shoot. Is there a charging handle that really works to stop this or greatly reduce. What are you guys doin to help reduce the gas. Adjustable gas block?

There are charging handles that help, or you can mod your own with some rtv. Cutting down the gas with adjustable gas as mentioned above is the best place to start imo.

Is it for sure coming from the charging handle or around where the buttstock connects to the lower reciever? We use to have to place a piece of tape, duck, sports, or electrical, at that junction on our rifles in the Marines. Just throwing that out there for you

Originally Posted By: TxPigKillerIs it for sure coming from the charging handle or around where the buttstock connects to the lower reciever? We use to have to place a piece of tape, duck, sports, or electrical, at that junction on our rifles in the Marines. Just throwing that out there for you

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! I remember qualifying with the old M16A1 in 1980. Don't know if I could hit that target at 500 meters with iron sights anymore, especially with Bi-focals.
smile.gif

Semper Fi

I use an Armageddon Tactical charging handle and an adjustable gas block. Armageddon Tactical web page is under construction right now.

Last edited:
BCM charging handles on mine. Other makes also deflect gas. On my suppressed rifles I bought the Bootleg BCG. They are great. A complete BCG with 4 position dial in BCG. Eliminates the gas block replacement the tuning issues. Dial it to the full position drop it in and go. Less recoil, less matter back in chamber, cleaner rounds in the mag. and I think less noise also. I gave a report just the other day on my experience/opinion in the suppressed section. Gave it the 2 thumbs up. There is another brand that is a 2 position and is a quality piece also but just the BC. You have to furnish all the internals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2I use an Armageddon Tactical charging handle and an adjustable gas block. Armageddon Tactical web page is under construction right now.

I too use tha Armageddon handle and love it. Use rtv silicone on 2 others with good results but the ambi handle is awesome, larger than mil spec but just large enough to work around optics. Adjustable Gas blocks on all 3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI am shooting suppressed, so I imagine that contributes to the blow back getting in my eyes when I shoot. Is there a charging handle that really works to stop this or greatly reduce. What are you guys doin to help reduce the gas. Adjustable gas block?

Yeah, it's an unfortunate side effect. Some suppressors are better than others about back pressure. Like some of the guys have said, Superlative Arms gas blocks are expensive but have features that help to reduce the blow back. The RTV trick can work just as good as some more expensive charging handles.

I suffer from this as well. Not so bad when hunting but when shooting round after round at the range and my eyes start burning and I start wondering what long term health issues come from this. I am in the process of switching my 6.8 over to a left eject side charge upper. I thought most of the gas was from the ejection port but I will have to try the other mods. I use a Raptor handle and SLR adj block. There is just something that seems wrong about having the brass flying across my face too.

Gas in the face and the fact ARs are always louder makes me like my bolt guns better for supprsssed shooting

That said I have the parts to build a .223 upper specifically to suppressed shooting with 16” intermediate gas barrel, SLR adjustable block. I may try the charging handle fixes also

I run a superlative bleed off gas block and don’t get any gas in the face when shooting. I’m
Gonna put one on my 7.5” also for that reason

Back