Opinions on decoys...

Kino M

Staff member
Just bought two new decoys, a mojo super critter and an Icotech PD200. Just wondering how these two models have worked and held up for you guys??

I'm replacing an old school FP Jack in the box. It has served me well but is definitely not perfect.

Also wondering if these two works with a FP CS24, as I have one of those on order that should be here by week's end. It does work with my FX5.

I would have gotten the critter and not the super critter. I won a super critter at the convention a couple years ago and found it to be just too bulky and never used the sound, I gave it to a newbie. I have a critter that is from when they first came out, changed out the push switch to a turn switch so it wouldn't turn on just bumping it. It works well for me, I use it in open places so a coyote can see it from a long way off. Having it start spinning right in his face can spook him. I don't think my CS-24 has an auxiliary port to run one, I just turn it on when I set the caller down

I had the mojo critter and snapped the threaded plastic off while trying to push into frozen ground.. I got a lucky duck critter now.. Turn it on and place on ground.. I have found that young coyotes will turn away and run from the decoy when they spot it.. When I am hunting for bobcats I will use it and also use from October on when the pups are a bit braver.. I just cover the cs24 with some grass or brush and the coyotes come in looking for that rabbit.. Dan

Sometimes they do that.

Two years ago at the PM Convention my nephew and I were call in a little bowl in the desert and had the critter in the top of a sage bush. A big old male came roaring down into the bowl just about running over my nephew(he said he could have grabbed it if he had a little warning) he launched himself and flew over the bush and grabbed at the spinner while going past, the spinner was 4' off the ground. I killed him when he hit the ground on the other side. It was a memorable stand.

I like the mojo itself. I bought the super critter but have found the legs don't always lock and have it fall over while on stand.

I did a stand one time where I stuck the mojo into the side of a bale about 3' off the ground. Had a coyote come charging in and jumping to grab it! I shot him while he stood there wondering what the heck he was he looking at! He sure had a funny look on his face! Kept turning his head sideways to try to figure it out!

Originally Posted By: masshunterJust tie your decoy down so hawks and owls don't carry it off.

Good advice... I lost a decoy this winter to an owl.

Back