Trail video playback speed

Darknight

You folks ever had this happen? Looks like I forgot to stop the recording after shooting the second coyote, but should the playback speed do that?

Mine has done that twice in 2 years. Back when it first happened I asked on here and contacted Pulsar and never got any answer as to why it went to what I call "fast forward" speed. If you ever find out the cause, I would be interested to know.

I've never heard the Pulsar official comment on it, but on the Pulsar NV and Thermal group, you see this a lot. The general consensus seems to be three things to try to eliminate this from happening.

1) Don't download the videos with StreamVision. Use the USB cable and download them right to a computer.
2) Don't leave the videos on your scope. Download your videos after your hunts are done.
3) Format the memory of the scope in the Menu area of the Pulsar scope. Some do it after downloading their videos each time. I don't know if anyone knows how often is enough.

I've been told by following these 3 procedures the issue has gone away. Ironically, it never happened to me when I used my Trail for almost an entire year. However, I rarely used StreamVision to download as it is painfully slow, and I always pull my videos off after each hunt, so was doing 2 of the 3 steps anyway.

Originally Posted By: KirschI've never heard the Pulsar official comment on it, but on the Pulsar NV and Thermal group, you see this a lot. The general consensus seems to be three things to try to eliminate this from happening.

1) Don't download the videos with StreamVision. Use the USB cable and download them right to a computer.
2) Don't leave the videos on your scope. Download your videos after your hunts are done.
3) Format the memory of the scope in the Menu area of the Pulsar scope. Some do it after downloading their videos each time. I don't know if anyone knows how often is enough.

I've been told by following these 3 procedures the issue has gone away. Ironically, it never happened to me when I used my Trail for almost an entire year. However, I rarely used StreamVision to download as it is painfully slow, and I always pull my videos off after each hunt, so was doing 2 of the 3 steps anyway.

I do all 3 items you suggested...always download directly to my computer(have never used streamvision to download, never leave them on the scope...always downloaded to computer after the hunt and formatt the memory every time. Like I said, it has only happened twice...once last year and once so far this season. Only other issue I have had in regard to videos is that every now and then a video "cannot be viewed" error message comes up when trying to view the video...basically it is lost.
I run an XQ38 Trail...don't know if it is limited to this model or not. My only other "complaint" recently is that after I have now done firmware updates to my XQ38, my image thru the scope has become real "grainy"...it was a lot clearer before the firmware updates...don't think the updates can be removed to see if it gets better. Would you suggest sending it to Pulsar this summer for a look? Thanks

Originally Posted By: G Anderson Only other issue I have had in regard to videos is that every now and then a video "cannot be viewed" error message comes up when trying to view the video...basically it is lost.This can happen with a corrupt video file. Lots of time, it will show 0 Kb or a real small size.

Originally Posted By: G Anderson My only other "complaint" recently is that after I have now done firmware updates to my XQ38, my image thru the scope has become real "grainy"...it was a lot clearer before the firmware updates...don't think the updates can be removed to see if it gets better. When firmware updates are done, many times the thermals go back to their default settings. Did you write your brightness and contrast settings down? Changing them could get your more familiar picture back. Also, if you have recently completed the update, is it possible it was a lot more humid when viewing it recently. Humidity will turn even the best thermals to a grainy mess. Just some thoughts as typically firmware updates should clean up the picture if anything vs make it grainier. Watch the humidity levels and if it still grainy when it is 60-70% humidity and you have tweaked the brightness and contrast, then you may have an issue. One other thing to watch is did your NUC setting change. If it was auto before and now it is on something different, the scope may have needed to be NUC'd.

Originally Posted By: G Anderson Would you suggest sending it to Pulsar this summer for a look? Thanks If you feel there is something wrong maybe, but I would call Sellmark customer service before sending it in to see if they have any other ideas.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: G Anderson Only other issue I have had in regard to videos is that every now and then a video "cannot be viewed" error message comes up when trying to view the video...basically it is lost.This can happen with a corrupt video file. Lots of time, it will show 0 Kb or a real small size.

Originally Posted By: G Anderson My only other "complaint" recently is that after I have now done firmware updates to my XQ38, my image thru the scope has become real "grainy"...it was a lot clearer before the firmware updates...don't think the updates can be removed to see if it gets better. When firmware updates are done, many times the thermals go back to their default settings. Did you write your brightness and contrast settings down? Changing them could get your more familiar picture back. Also, if you have recently completed the update, is it possible it was a lot more humid when viewing it recently. Humidity will turn even the best thermals to a grainy mess. Just some thoughts as typically firmware updates should clean up the picture if anything vs make it grainier. Watch the humidity levels and if it still grainy when it is 60-70% humidity and you have tweaked the brightness and contrast, then you may have an issue. One other thing to watch is did your NUC setting change. If it was auto before and now it is on something different, the scope may have needed to be NUC'd.

Originally Posted By: G Anderson Would you suggest sending it to Pulsar this summer for a look? Thanks If you feel there is something wrong maybe, but I would call Sellmark customer service before sending it in to see if they have any other ideas.

Yes, my last lost video had 0kb. I change my brightness and contrast setting fairly frequently with the changes in humidity levels...even throughout the night the humidity levels change and also from stand to stand the humidity seems to be different. I run it on Auto Nuc and have periodically manually nuc'd it to try to clear it up...helps a little but overall it seems that it is just not as clear as it used to be. I think one of the 2 firmware updates said something about "enhanced detail/graphics", it also gave me the "sound" for the videos...the other update was for the potential POI shift...I didn't really think I had a POI issue, but done the update anyway...figured it wouldn't hurt. It is still under warranty, so I might call them and see what they have to say. Is there someone in particular that you would recommend I speak with or just call the tech dept. and hope for the best?

Originally Posted By: DarknightFormat memory in the menu area? I'll take a look and try that. Thx guys.

Yes, scroll to the second page on your main menu and then click on Settings, then go to the bottom of that list and click on the SD card symbol...you will be prompted about formatting, hit yes and you will get asked again and hit yes...you will see it then go thru the format process and then tell you it is complete.

Originally Posted By: G Anderson It is still under warranty, so I might call them and see what they have to say. Is there someone in particular that you would recommend I speak with or just call the tech dept. and hope for the best? Pulsar customer service is very good. The North America division can be reached at (817)225-0310. Tom or someone else at Night Goggles may have a direct contact but I do not as ProStaff.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: G Anderson It is still under warranty, so I might call them and see what they have to say. Is there someone in particular that you would recommend I speak with or just call the tech dept. and hope for the best? Pulsar customer service is very good. The North America division can be reached at (817)225-0310. Tom or someone else at Night Goggles may have a direct contact but I do not as ProStaff.

Thanks...appreciate the help...again!

Gene

Originally Posted By: capitolFrom what I've read the "fast forward" issue is caused by turning the scope off when it's still recording.

Capitol, can you tell me where you have read this? I would be interested to read up on this. Thanks

Hmmm, still not at normal speed. It does look like I neglected to turn the recording function off after shooting that second coyote and it may have recorded all the way back to the truck. What I'm not sure of is what the video is doing at the very end. It almost looks like part of the start of the video got spliced onto the end somehow? At any rate, I reformatted the SD card so we will see if it happens again. I like the Streamvision way of downloading as I've been known to be downloading a video of one stand as I'm walking to my next stand.

Originally Posted By: DarknightHmmm, still not at normal speed. It does look like I neglected to turn the recording function off after shooting that second coyote and it may have recorded all the way back to the truck. What I'm not sure of is what the video is doing at the very end. It almost looks like part of the start of the video got spliced onto the end somehow? At any rate, I reformatted the SD card so we will see if it happens again. I like the Streamvision way of downloading as I've been known to be downloading a video of one stand as I'm walking to my next stand.
Ya, just downloading it to youtube would not change things. When you record another kill, turn the "record" function off and then turn the unit off. When you get home, use the usb cord and download to your PC and I bet it works fine. Like I said, this has happened to me twice in 2 years and I cannot remember for sure but it could be possible that I forgot to turn the record off before shutting the unit down...I will be making sure from here on out though to stop the recording before shutting down.

Back