Coyote down : Long Time Coming

Pa. Mick

Coyote down : Long Time Coming
3/1/19 35.5 lb. male. 11:10pm Hornady 223 /55 gr hp ( no damage )
#1 for 2019

Well it’s been a long time since I have been able share a photo with Wiley ! Almost a year if I remember right. Life definitely has a way of making us do things that we really don’t like doing , like working instead of hunting !

After a year of marathon working I’ve had enough. This old body was hurting everyday but I reached my goal for my career, lol. I retired 2/1/19 !!!!
Now I can hunt everyday ! Wrong ! Between my aches and pains & Mother Nature it has been a real challenge for me to do what I love to do.

Last night was bittersweet as I watched this male heading for the Foxpro. It has finally come together. The hours of time on stands, that I never keep a tally of. Seemed like only seconds that I had been calling but it was actually my fifth stop.

Third actual stand but as usual the NE wind prediction was coming from a different direction at every location so I had to pass on a couple of my favorite old spots. Twelve minutes in after a couple female howls & some grey squirrel I think I relaxed when I saw him coming from upwind.

My new Savage msr 223 /556 dropped him in his tracks at 95 paces. The follow up shot was ready instantly but was not needed. So the grind of empty & failed stands is over once again.

My last stand had a pack breaking the silence a mile or so down the road, my legs dragged my butt back to the truck and my heated bed never felt so good.
Happy hunting guys !

Congratulations Mick. Us old retired farts need to a little encouragement now and then to keep up the grind. It definitely ain't as easy as it used to be!

Last edited:
Retired?? You look healthy as a horse! Id say you have another good 10 years to go....no problem! (JK, of course.)
smile.gif

I retired last May, thinking all of my aches and pains would magically disappear. Ha!! Oh well, it could be worse! I still work as a type of consultant 3 days a week, but nothing physical anymore. It sure feels strange not having to go out in this cold everyday, going like [beeep], for 10 hours at a time.
I liked your title...'A long time coming'. For me, Im going on my second season w/o a coyote kill, which also feels really strange.
It is cool being able to see all of the little people in my family a lot more though. My go to rifle has been in the shop, and I just finished developing a load for the back up. Weather and heath just haven't been in the cards as of yet. But when I do finally get one, I hope to have a grin as big as yours! Congrats young man!

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: Pa. Mick

Well it’s been a long time since I have been able share a photo with Wiley ! Almost a year if I remember right. Life definitely has a way of making us do things that we really don’t like doing , like working instead of hunting !

I retired 2/1/19 !!!! Now I can hunt everyday ! Wrong ! Between my aches and pains & Mother Nature it has been a real challenge for me to do what I love to do.

I know exactly what you mean. Also, it seems I am busier now than when I was working.

Nice job on an overdue coyote. He is a nice one.

Back