Heavy coyote

fratri

I setup at first light. Placed my decoy/ecaller about 40yds to my left. Got settled in, turned on the decoy and my ecaller playing a low quiet dying rabbit sound. After a few minutes I pulled out my mouth calls and started screaming out a dying rabbit sound for about 50 seconds..... Waited a few minutes of silence, then screamed out again...... After a few more minutes of silence, I let out a coyote howl and as I lower my mouth call, I see one coyote crest the hill. A couple seconds later another (his buddy) pops over the hill too.....
Not sure if it was the coyote howl or were they already coming to that dying rabbit sound I screamed out earlier (maybe a bit of both) but they were there, looking in my direction....
I slowly grabbed my ecaller remote and turned up that dying rabbit sound triggering one of the coyotes to start coming in. The other coyote just sat there and watched it all play out.
I lost sight of the coyote coming toward me as he went into the dip in the field, expecting him to pop out about 100yds away I waited... After about 30 seconds or so I see him turning back.... I yelled out wolf, causing him to stop and have a look. At about 200yds out I took the shot, watched him spin a couple of times then take off running into the bush...
I waited about 5 minutes playing pup distress but his buddy would not return. I got my gear together and went after him... As I reach the impact area I see blood and his tracks leading across a small frozen creek. The follow up reveals the shot was a little far back allowing him to do about a 60yd run....
He looked big and felt big dragging him back to the truck so I weight him when I got home.... Just over 48lbs...

The setup/my view
40292845003_6494113b93_c.jpg

How it played out
47205810482_ef8f1fec9d_c.jpg

How I found him
40292845593_f44670dedd_c.jpg

The pose
33381889458_68e34256e1_c.jpg

All skinned out and in good shape
33382194388_0d82f9885c_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: SnowshoesWell done fratri!
That is one big coyote! What's the heaviest one you have gotten?

I never did weight it because I skinned it on site but it was bigger than any coyote I have shot or seen. We estimated it would have been 55lbs give or take a few lbs...Anyway he was big and heavy

47283950151_ce5ffeb8f7_o.jpg

Last edited:
Those eastern coyotes dwarf our western coyotes! For me to get a 55lb. coyote, I would have to tie two together
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BloodhoundGreat post and pics...really can see how it played out. Thanks

Thanks...till next fall
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OhiolongarmNice dog there what caliber was used?Love those big eastern coyotes.

Using a .223.....
This season I will be using my savage axis, .223 with a bushnell 4x12 scope pushing a 55gr VMax bullet....

Well done. Shooting a spread in southeastern Montana the ranchers son came along one morning and he took one that weighed an exact 48 lbs. I've not personally seen one bigger.

Great job on that big fella.

Hef-A

Back