6x6.8 and 70g Varmageddon

Houser in NC

Still learning the ropes on this great wildcat. I've have already tried a few different bullets and loads with good results. The 70g Varmageddon looked promising so I decided to give them a try.

First I loaded 1 of each at 29.5g, 30.0g and 30.2g of AA2230.

I'm happy with the 30.0g load. Last two shots after adjusting the scope. 127 yards.

We have had good luck with 450 primers 29.7 ar comp and 70 bts at 2.310 oal. in Hornady brass out of 10 twist 22" TO barels. They shoot good at 30 grains as well but primer pockets start going south.
I have only shot one coyote with that load and I hit him right behind the shoulder. He made it about 60 yards and fell over dead. Thumb size exit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223We have had good luck with 450 primers 29.7 ar comp and 70 bts at 2.310 oal. in Hornady brass out of 10 twist 22" TO barels. They shoot good at 30 grains as well but primer pockets start going south.
I have only shot one coyote with that load and I hit him right behind the shoulder. He made it about 60 yards and fell over dead. Thumb size exit.

I'm also shooting a TO barrel, 18". It's seems to shoot better the more I shoot it.

It's rained so much I haven't had the chance to shoot much at all. 5" of rain in the last 11 days. The sun came out today so I took the opportunity to shoot... slopping around in the mud wearing rubber boots.

Originally Posted By: SledgeThank you. I'm shooting the same bullet through my 6 WOA with Benchmark. Running pretty much the same speed.

What is your barrel length?
Not sure how high outside temps will effect my load and I may have to adjust my powder charge or change powders when it heats up. I have some Benchmark I can try if I need to change powders.

Mine are running 3265 ish....I think 30 grains was 3300 but just hard on primer pockets and ejector mark start showing up.
Buddy of mine shot one facing him through the throat and through the spine last night at 50 yards......blew multiple holes out his back between his shoulders. Bit rough on fur on that range I reckon. Same barrel and load as mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Mine are running 3265 ish....I think 30 grains was 3300 but just hard on primer pockets and ejector mark start showing up.
Buddy of mine shot one facing him through the throat and through the spine last night at 50 yards......blew multiple holes out his back between his shoulders. Bit rough on fur on that range I reckon. Same barrel and load as mine.

Thanks for the performance info. I've carried mine with me everyday while checking the cows, trying to catch a coyote in the pasture. Good to know that it works well.

Houser, that is some serious great shooting!

Also, try try the 70g tnt and the 70g sierra blitz kings at that speed, all will probably kill very, very well. The tnt will be more cost effective.

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCOriginally Posted By: SledgeThank you. I'm shooting the same bullet through my 6 WOA with Benchmark. Running pretty much the same speed.

What is your barrel length?
Not sure how high outside temps will effect my load and I may have to adjust my powder charge or change powders when it heats up. I have some Benchmark I can try if I need to change powders.

Both of mine are 22". I've shot Benchmark out of mine since they were new. I just bought a 6-6.8 from Ritch and plan to try some other powders with it.

Thanks Varminter, that's good info

Back