New Add On to tame a problem

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2004 Ford F-250 that has been my primary hunting rig since I started in the sport. She's been through a lot and while she may not look like it, I try to keep it in good mechanical working order. Right now I have over 300,000 miles on it.

2 years ago, during the end of the night hunt season out here in Az, I put my truck into a "pond" where an irrigation canal had broke through. She was so deep into it that the rear end was in the air. We got it pulled out after a few hours and I went about my merry way. A few months later I began to hear a harsh, sharp vibrating noise from the front end. We diagnosed a bad half shaft support needle bearing. Upon disassembly we found that the hubs had taken on water so it was time for new hubs.

2004-ford-super-duty-locking-hubs-fabulo...ty-locking-hubs by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Now the new hubs came with the needle bearing as a unit, so we killed two birds with one stone. We also replaced the stub shaft that had been damaged by the rusted needle bearing. Problem solved.

2004-ford-super-duty-locking-hubs-marvel...ty-locking-hubs by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Fast forward to now. Last week the truck started making a similar noise while driving over bumpy roads. The noise was similar, but of a lower frequency. But being experienced with it, we had an idea that the stub shaft bearing had gone bad again. Yet when we disassembled the hubs, the bearings looked fine. No rust, no heat, no metal shavings. The right side, which was making noise, was a bit harder to turn. But the wheel bearing tested fine, so on a hunch, I looked up and found the part number for just the stub shaft inner bearing and last week I replaced it.

I8401679 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

It was a pretty easy replacement. I also took the opportunity to lubricate the other side. FYI, Ford does recommend lubricating this bearing but it doesn't show up in any PM schedule paperwork. While we were cleaning, relubricating and reassembling the front end we noticed quite a bit of movement from the locking hub. When we compared the two sides the right was moving considerably more than the left. Both were well lubricated, but on a hunch we swapped the lockers from side to side. When we went to install it on the right side we noticed a bit of difficulty installing it on the right. Seems that the stub shaft was shifted considerably. So we have determined that either the locker bearings went bad and helped to destroy the needle bearing or vice versa. Either way, the hub locker was bad. Now Ford wants $180 for ONE locker. Even looking online, there weren't too many other options. Some lower end after market stuff, but who wants to rely on that when you are out chasing coyotes through the desert?

2004-ford-super-duty-locking-hubs-pretty...ty-locking-hubs by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

So after some research I settled on replacing both hub lockers with aftermarket lockers. I looked very closely at Warn, but they were very expensive and in the end I opted to go with Mile Marker hub locks. Today I installed them. I am very impressed. First off, they feel tough. They are stout and heavy. Metal bodies, metal gears, metal cap, metal knob. It came with o-rings to seal out the water. Overall they look a lot better than the factory originals.

F143884287 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Install was very easy. Popped off the originals, removed the screws holding the Mile Marker locks together, installed the lockers in the hubs and reinstalled the knob assembly with the provided screws. The hub lockers sit inside the "hub caps", but still "look" pretty good, if looks are your thing. For me, it's about operation. My first impression on locking them is that you can definitely feel a much more positive detent when locking them in. Now as to whether they are locking any faster than the originals I couldn't really tell. But so far so good. I will keep an eye on them and keep you posted as to how they perform.

image000000 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Have 310000 on my 1996. So far have had no hub problems but do have a noise somewhere when the hubs are turned in. I need to find it.

Originally Posted By: crapshoot300,000 miles? I hope I get that many miles out of my 2011 f350.

I am pleased. I put some HARD miles o n this truck. It hasn't been without it's share of repairs, but it has been a good runner. Might not look the best, but it's mechanically sound.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8So if I understand correctly, you replaced the original vacuum operated with manual?

Nope. I replaced the factory manual lockers with sturdier aftermarket manual locks.

So far so good. Substantially quieter. Drove in 4wd all day Saturday while hunting in thawing permafrost with no problems.

Ahh, ok, I had vacuum on my 350 and replaced them with manuals. I think MM has a lifetime replacement guarantee if they ever fail.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8Ahh, ok, I had vacuum on my 350 and replaced them with manuals. I think MM has a lifetime replacement guarantee if they ever fail.

You are correct, the 449SS hubs are one of the one's that are listed under the lifetime warranty list.

Back