open water boat camo ideas?

Newfboy

hey guys, I am on the Island of Newfoundland, and in my Area we have a lot of Common Goldeneye and Merganser which are located in a saltwater/Freshwater estuary from October till freeze up.
The birds used to come close to shore in previous years but now seem to flock just off shore to far to shoot. I have noticed some hunters in the Area Setting up boats with camo paint, branches,grass ..etc and they would anchor off about 50-60 meters off shore, and get some fairly good success.
My question is...I have a 16ft deep and wide V-hull Espadon aluminum utility boat Painted white inside and ofcourse..silver color outside, i was just thinking of covering it with some burlap to try and cover up alot of the boats interior ...will the silver tip the ducks off that something is not right?

If any part of the boat isn't covered they will notice. I've used camo netting with some success, but every part of the boat has to be covered or they will notice and not come as close.

Originally Posted By: BeaverKiller If any part of the boat isn't covered they will notice. I've used camo netting with some success, but every part of the boat has to be covered or they will notice and not come as close.

Thanks beaverkiller ...i guess i will have to wait till spring and paint it up some with some self etching primer and then spray on some branches and grass..I was going to try my 17ft canoe at first...but shooting on open water in a canoe while cold and windy and rainy..does not appeal to me. I did not try hunting this year as my moose license took up all my free time..no success (yet)..but from my house i can hear the other bird hunters shooting up a storm..some times i can look out into the bay from my window and see them anchored off sitting with their decoys spreads out..oh well hopefully next year i am all set!

Sorry for the late late reply but yea if you rattle can it or have a large camo net or burlap that'll do you well. Bending any cattails or similar weeds onto the top will help you stay hidden too. Don't forget the best camo is a good decoy layout!

You can sew a synthetic canvas cover for your boat and let it hang to the waterline. Goldeneye and Mergys aren't especially wary. Keeping your rig low helps a lot.

cover I made for my hunting kayak

D2pj0J.jpg

It turns inside out to white when the rocks and shoreline are covered in snow.

u2atUN.jpg

My big boat, I've used it for open water divers, I sit down on the bottom of the boat s cock pit, 18" wide 48" long the low profile works well enough that even puddlers will decoy to it in open water.

Last edited:
I've only hunted divers a couple of times on the Chesapeake Bay. Hunted off the stern of a 32 foot work boat. No camo or blind but lots of decoys. Had no problem getting them to come in to the decoys.

Back