Most coyotes you've called in on one stand?

OKRattler

The most for me is 8,killed 1. The second most was 6,killed 3. I also called in 5 on one stand and killed 0 because I wanted to shoot one with a pistol that day. Instead I just shot a bunch of times at running coyotes.

In September 2017 during the PM Convention in Nevada I called in six on one stand. A buddy and I killed five of them. My best stand ever.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...816#Post3090816

TroyChris13Sep2017Quintuple-M.jpg

Originally Posted By: DesertRamIn September 2017 during the PM Convention in Nevada I called in six on one stand. A buddy and I killed five of them. My best stand ever.

I got you beat. Back in the 1990's I called in 8 coyotes on one stand and killed 12.5% of them!
crazy.gif

Good job Troy! I have always thought that the number of coyotes killed is more important than the number of coyotes called in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: DesertRamIn September 2017 during the PM Convention in Nevada I called in six on one stand. A buddy and I killed five of them. My best stand ever.

I got you beat. Back in the 1990's I called in 8 coyotes on one stand and killed 12.5% of them!
crazy.gif

Good job Troy! I have always thought that the number of coyotes killed is more important than the number of coyotes called in.

I feel the same way. Unfortunately I can't ever get them to come in one at a time so I can kill more than one that's standing still.lol

I'd be ok with every multiple coyote stand from this day forward to be one coyote at a time.

Last edited:
OK, Bob, I'll admit to reaching for the calculator on that one!
lol.gif

I called in 5 one day; they ran across a dry lake bed on the adjacent ranch but only one crossed the fence. I tried all the tricks but couldn't stop it for my partner, he made a spectacular running shot on it, though.

Regards,
hm

I almost forgot my grandpa and I called in 4 coyotes and shot 1 on the same stand I called 6 in. I called in a double and killed one in less than 30 seconds. Kept calling and two more showed up. Grandpa got antsy and shot at one and missed and both ran off.

That's one of my secret coyote huntin spots. I don't think there's been too many times I've been there and haven't killed at least one.

Last edited:
I've called in 8 on two separate occasions, both this season. Previous best was 7. I've never been able to get more than 4 though.

I called in a pack of 8. They didn't come in until 25-30 minutes on the stand. 10-15 minutes earlier I had them howling back at me but they weren't coming in. I was getting ready to give up on the stand, thinking I wasn't going to get anything to come in. I hadn't called for about 5 minutes and all 8 coyotes came over a hill about 250 yards away at a hard run. I think they came in so late because when they were howling back at me 10 minutes earlier, they were grouping up so they could come as a pack to kick the butt of what they thought was another coyote invading their territory. At about 150 yards they all stopped and started yipping and yapping. After about a minute I let out a single howl and instantly they all came strait at me at a dead run. I took my first shot when I had 5 of them galloping about 30 yards in front of me about to catch my wind. I was greedy on the first shot and tried to line up two coyotes for a one shot. I didn't get either. Second shot with shotgun I "flock shot" at them and missed. I did a better job aiming at a single coyote with my 3rd shotgun shot. I switched to my rifle and was able to drop another at 200 yards on the run. I was really disappointed with my shotgun skills on the stand. I should have easily killed 3 coyotes with the shotgun on that stand and possibly killed 4 to 5 of the 8 coyotes. Watching all 8 of them come over the hill together at 250 yards with movement that appeared similar to a flock of birds is one of my favorite memories coyote hunting.

Overall, I was very pleased with how I handled the stand and waiting until they were in shotgun range to start shooting. About 3 hours earlier on the first stand of the morning I called in a pack of 5 coyotes. The 5 of them stopped at about 100 yards out to regroup and started yipping and yapping. Instead of trying to call them closer, I dropped one with the 223 and the rest took off like they were shot out of a cannon. In hind sight I was wishing I would have continued calling and tried getting that group of 5 into shotgun range. I'll probably never call two big packs in like that in one morning.

4 coyotes and 1 fox on the same stand. Due to a missed shot and followed up by gun malfunction I left empty handed
mad.gif

I did only see 3 coyotes, one wasn't more than 100 yards behind me barking like a rabid dog

called in 6 and killed em all, once. There was one other stand that 6 or 7 came, but I don't want to talk about the out come on that stand. It didn't end so well.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
In NM I called in five on a stand, two pairs and a single down in some thick brush. I killed one out of each pair and after all the shooting I figured the stand was done and walked out to get the caller coyote five ran through the little opening just a few yards from me, closer than the combo gun laying across my seat. It is a stand that will stand in my memory, one of the coyotes I rolled with the shotgun barrel and he got up running straight at me and I killed him with the rifle barrel one long pace away.

At the convention this year we had a stand of 4 that was just fun. The coyotes came in one at a time. I was calling for my nephew and his friend, I didn't even take the rifle out. we were calling right next to a heavily travelled gravel road sitting on a little embankment. The two shooters were looking out across the field and the coyotes kept sneaking in in the brush right at the base of the embankment about 10 yards away. I'd sit there and kept having to tell them "there's one right down there", after the third one like that they both had their eyes looking down in the brush, that's when number four decides to cross out in the field so I have to tell them "There's one out in the field". Both of them were pretty quick about it and they both got that one. They hit three of the four, one snuck out before they saw it and one they both saw go down but in the action lost track of it and we never found it.

It was fun listening to Desert Ram and Matt telling of the six that came in. Seeing 6 come over the hill at once would sure get my blood moving.

Last edited:
I called in a pack of 8 to some interrogation howls....all big, black and on the run. The presence of these big fellas was a clue as to why one of my favorite calling spots was so quiet. They charged down the hill side to within about 150 yds, all I could do is watch them leave. We didn't have a permit system for Wolves at that time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrianIDI called in a pack of 8. They didn't come in until 25-30 minutes on the stand. 10-15 minutes earlier I had them howling back at me but they weren't coming in. I was getting ready to give up on the stand, thinking I wasn't going to get anything to come in. I hadn't called for about 5 minutes and all 8 coyotes came over a hill about 250 yards away at a hard run. I think they came in so late because when they were howling back at me 10 minutes earlier, they were grouping up so they could come as a pack to kick the butt of what they thought was another coyote invading their territory. At about 150 yards they all stopped and started yipping and yapping. After about a minute I let out a single howl and instantly they all came strait at me at a dead run. I took my first shot when I had 5 of them galloping about 30 yards in front of me about to catch my wind. I was greedy on the first shot and tried to line up two coyotes for a one shot. I didn't get either. Second shot with shotgun I "flock shot" at them and missed. I did a better job aiming at a single coyote with my 3rd shotgun shot. I switched to my rifle and was able to drop another at 200 yards on the run. I was really disappointed with my shotgun skills on the stand. I should have easily killed 3 coyotes with the shotgun on that stand and possibly killed 4 to 5 of the 8 coyotes. Watching all 8 of them come over the hill together at 250 yards with movement that appeared similar to a flock of birds is one of my favorite memories coyote hunting.

Overall, I was very pleased with how I handled the stand and waiting until they were in shotgun range to start shooting. About 3 hours earlier on the first stand of the morning I called in a pack of 5 coyotes. The 5 of them stopped at about 100 yards out to regroup and started yipping and yapping. Instead of trying to call them closer, I dropped one with the 223 and the rest took off like they were shot out of a cannon. In hind sight I was wishing I would have continued calling and tried getting that group of 5 into shotgun range. I'll probably never call two big packs in like that in one morning.

that would have been awesome to witness

Two groups came in from opposite directions converging at the same time. It was a wild west circus for about 30 seconds.

MOST of two groups left at the same time in opposite directions....

Hunting in Mexico 40 years ago was simply unbelievable. Coyotes in some areas had never heard a call, and the numbers were simply unbelievable.

Four of us picked up 17 on one stand that lasted for 1 1/2 hours. They just kept coming in.

We were hunting on the leading edge of a very serious low pressure front, according to the barometer in the truck, pressure was dropping fast, snow coming in. No wind, dead calm with light snow.

The oldest hunter in the group, called the stand to an end as we were going to have trouble finding them all. Rule was, "you do not get up and start walking around picking up animals till the end of the stand".

After that stand, It was a few years till we picked up 7 on a stand, but 4's were common. I am referring to a mix of foxes, bob cats, and coyotes.

There was another guy on this site some years ago that we ran into down in Mexico, he was big into Misting...left this site due to all the BS going on. I never was into misting, but we did use Sardines and Rabbit urine spray which we believed helped keep the coyotes interest in the excitement as they circled down wind. This particular guy got into taking pictures and shooting coyotes with a bow. The only picture I wanted to see was with a coyote laying on the ground with a hole in him.

16!! actually at first thought they were a herd of antelope coming through the sage brush. Then after realizing they were coyotes only managed to get a couple of them killed.

Last edited:
Back