Best guide for p-dogs in South Dakota

shelton573

Who do you all use for a p-dog guide in South Dakota? Preferably around Winner area. We used dean Lunderman last year and had a blast, but as you talk to other hunters out there they say use this guide or this guide. Just curious who you all use. Doesn’t have to be in the Winner area, I’m open to other suggestions. Plan on going the end of May or beginning of June. Thanks in advance!

I was in your same position a few years ago, made several calls to guides who advertised in hunting magazines. One guide had a nice ad, a fancy website, but I wasn't impressed when I talked with him on the phone. I could tell he was full of BS, so I asked for names and numbers of some hunters from the season before. His answer, I'll send you a complete list of ALL the guys who shot with me. I called several guys from all over the country. Couldn't find one that would give him a positive review. All said they would never go back.
I've said all this to encourage you to do your homework, call hunters, and make sure you're getting your money's worth. We did shoot with an Indian guide a couple of years ago on a reservation, can't recommend him. He wanted to start late, after we bought his breakfast, quit early, and get paid in cash every day after we shot. All this, for very little shooting. Worst of all, an acquaintance recommended him. Do your homework!

The guy we shot with was recommended to a buddy at Shot Show. He met us at 645 every morning and we were shooting by 745. He didn't care how long we shot as long as he got paid when we were leaving the field which I was fine with. Sounds like we may just need to stick with him since we had what I would consider a pretty good experience.

If you were happy with your guide, and had plenty of shooting, I'd stick with him. We finally abandoned SD, migrated to Colorado and had one year of good shooting. Planned on going back the next year, at the last minute we found out the plague had come thru and wiped them out. We then moved to New Mexico, had the best shooting I've had in the 15 or so years I've been. That lasted two years and the plague came thru and wiped them out too! We don't have any plans this spring, we've run out of places. Be sure and check with your guide every month or so and make sure the plague hasn't come thru.

We have used Willie Dvorak (Jim River Guide Service) shooting prairie dogs in SD a couple times in past few years. Always had good shooting and he takes pride in his operation and ability to sidestep weather to get guys on good pd towns. Important when you are coming in from out of state for a couple day hunt/shoot in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: shelton573I’ll have to check with them. Thanks for the heads up!

Shelton, I’m from SE Missouri too and am interested in PD hunting. I sent you a PM

Back