How Difficult Is Javelina Hunting?

DaisyCutter

Last year I became sick of not getting drawn for deer & elk and decided to put in for javelina.

I went scouting pre-season and promptly found a group. I went scouting again and found them again. This was easy. Between the group members, at least one was always visible.

Then I went back with a tag and they'd vanished. I scoured and glassed, and they had disappeared.

I put in again this year, and scouted, unsuccessfully. The handgun season came and I hunted 4 days. No trace, no droppings, no sign. I did a combination of hiking, lotsa miles hiking, glassing sunny hillsides in the morning,glassing washes and valleys, etc, even [ack] road hunting.

The unit is 24A. I covered the whole southern half. I saw countless mule deer, even some coues deer.

AZGFD said 10-15 javelina groups in the area.

I put in full effort.

What gives? Did they have a tough year? The only explanation I have is that I did see what appeared to be a coyote den in the edge of the wash where I'd glassed javelina before, and I did hear a lot of coyote howls at dawn. Still, yotes and javelina have shared the desert for millennia. Did I grossly underestimate the javelina as quarry?

Last edited:
In my limited experience, you learned the best lesson about javelina. Once you find the little critters, they're not all that hard to hunt. But like in your area, they can be tough to locate in the area I have hunted. Once spotted, getting into range and getting a shot (especially with a rifle), isn't all that hard. I don't have any real tips. You approached it the way I do - glass, hike, look for sign. Did you get a chance to talk to landowners in the area? Often they can be a good source of information. And many ranchers aren't all that fond of javelina and will often tell you where to find them.

Once you locate them, Javelina are pretty easy to approach; they have poor eyesight but do catch movement. Nothing wrong with their nose or ears though so watch your downwind.

In S. TX, they like to chew on prickly pear cactus so look for signs of that if present.

They will come to corn. Hog feeders will draw a crowd of javelina and where spinner type feeders are used, shaking a coffee can partially filled with pea gravel is an effective call.

36414122501_78bc45180b_z.jpg

35742706743_5539a7245b_z.jpg

Grandson shot this one with a nice set of dentures. I always say everyone needs to shoot ONE javelina and, down here, one is usually enough as they are always covered with fleas. I'm told that's not the case in other areas??

40197862003_62896de603_n.jpg
40197861783_a20337a594_n.jpg

Slipped up withing 8-10 ft of this sow w/two younguns a few years back. Amazing how tight those youngsters stick to mom.

Regards,
hm

I talked to a rancher at the Government Springs Ranch. He couldn't really advise on a location for finding javelina. Initially he seemed perturbed, like he was expecting a confrontation, but then he lightened up.

Like said above - CORN is key to finding Javelina.

I started hunting them (Archery) in 2007. Only year i got skunked was 2007, weather was rainy, windy and cold. They stuck to the taller grass and only way you could find them was to step on them. Tagged out every year since!

2007 was my year year of Archery for any game.

I hunt them near Wilcox and see them every year, this year we got into a couple different groups and all of us tagged out the same day.

Usually we will arrive at our camping spot in the middle of the night on a Wednesday, set up camp somewhat and then sleep for a few hours. This year the area received many inches of snow and rain and the terrain was very hard to get around even in the Polaris Ranger. Normally we will stay until the next Thursday and then head out. This year we left on Monday due to tagging out and the terrain being so wet. We like to tag out and then chase Coyotes the remainder of the time. Got 7 Coyotes in 1 afternoon and then saw more rain in the forecast so we headed out of Arizona next morning.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisLike said above - CORN is key to finding Javelina.

I started hunting them (Archery) in 2007. Only year i got skunked was 2007, weather was rainy, windy and cold. They stuck to the taller grass and only way you could find them was to step on them. Tagged out every year since!

I hunt them near Wilcox and see them every year, this year we got into a couple different groups and all of us tagged out the same day.

Usually we will arrive at our camping spot in the middle of the night on a Wednesday, set up camp somewhat and then sleep for a few hours. This year the area received many inches of snow and rain and the terrain was very hard to get around even in the Polaris Ranger. Normally we will stay until the next Thursday and then head out. This year we left on Monday due to tagging out and the terrain being so wet. We like to tag out and then chase Coyotes the remainder of the time. Got 7 Coyotes in 1 afternoon and then saw more rain in the forecast so we headed out of Arizona next morning.

Picture1 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

FYI

Originally Posted By: DaisyCutterLast year I became sick of not getting drawn for deer & elk and decided to put in for javelina.

I went scouting pre-season and promptly found a group. I went scouting again and found them again. This was easy. Between the group members, at least one was always visible.

Then I went back with a tag and they'd vanished. I scoured and glassed, and they had disappeared.

I put in again this year, and scouted, unsuccessfully. The handgun season came and I hunted 4 days. No trace, no droppings, no sign. I did a combination of hiking, lotsa miles hiking, glassing sunny hillsides in the morning,glassing washes and valleys, etc, even [ack] road hunting.

The unit is 24A. I covered the whole southern half. I saw countless mule deer, even some coues deer.

AZGFD said 10-15 javelina groups in the area.

I put in full effort.

What gives? Did they have a tough year? The only explanation I have is that I did see what appeared to be a coyote den in the edge of the wash where I'd glassed javelina before, and I did hear a lot of coyote howls at dawn. Still, yotes and javelina have shared the desert for millennia. Did I grossly underestimate the javelina as quarry?

No, they didn't have a tough year. No, coyotes aren't the issue. Just because you found them while scouting doesn't mean they will be there during the season. Chances are the increased human traffic chased them into hiding. AZ is BAD for road hunters who bomb around in their Side By Sides, quads and trucks looking for javelina. I hate javelina season because so many of my stands get burned by road hunters. They are still there, but they usually go to ground. So you probably won't see them roaming around during their season. Go into the deep brush and canyons and you will find them.

They are all over in that area, can't tell you how many that I have seen there, but there are better areas for them.

I agree, road hunting is a poor method. Once I glassed and then hiked through all the areas I'd previously scouted, I had to take to the road to find new areas.

The side-by-side infestation is epidemic.

While I didn't get a javelina, I did manage to link over 50 miles of trail. I came back just before the storm and blasted the trails on the bike. Froze a bit, but it was a spectacular ride.

Road hunting is getting worse here. Nothing at all against riding to an area to hunt it. But there are more and more guys just riding around. The cold was tough...bad luck. But watch those low washes during cold. Also find big trees like mesquite because a whole herd will bed down together for warmth.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisLike said above - CORN is key to finding Javelina.

Picture1 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

FYI

It appears you are thinking that i am using Corn to attract Javelina??

If so you would be wrong — When i say Corn i guess i should have been more specific - Javelina will hit the corn fields around dark and start to leave around sun up.

We ALWAYS find Javelina around CORN fields!

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoRoad hunting is getting worse here. Nothing at all against riding to an area to hunt it. But there are more and more guys just riding around. The cold was tough...bad luck. But watch those low washes during cold. Also find big trees like mesquite because a whole herd will bed down together for warmth.

I forgot to mention, Javelina know exactly where most culverts are. They love to hang in them when the weather turns cold & nasty.

Back