Had one good stand today!

derbyacresbob

I left my house this morning at 11:00am to do some coyote calling stands.

On my second stand I was set up laying prone with my 22-250. I was calling across some hills with the wind blowing from my right to the left.

The wind was blowing up towards some higher mountains onto another ranch. In the last 20 years of calling this area I have had coyotes come down the mountains off of the neighbor ranch 3 or 4 times so I knew I needed to look up that way off and on during the stand.

After calling with rabbit distress sounds for about 10 minutes I looked up the hills to my left and it looked like a coyote on top of a hill about 350 to 400 yards away.

I moved my rifle so I could look through the scope and there were two coyotes on the hill top. One standing and the other one was sitting, they were about 10 foot apart.

IMG_1001 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
In this picture you can see my Foxpro at the bottom of the picture. Then above that there is a berm or bank with a cow trail on top of it. Above the berm is the hill the two coyotes were on top of.

I was looking at them through my scope so I could watch them react to me changing the sound on my Foxpro Fusion. When I switched to Pup Distress 3 on full volume the coyote sitting down on the right started twisting it's head like a puppy trying to figure out what the sound was.

Then I switched sounds to a coyote growl sound for about 20 seconds, this got the coyote sitting down to twisting it head even more. I played a coyote fight sound and Angry Badger and Coyote Pup Screams all for about 15 to 20 seconds each and both coyotes didn't move other than the one sitting down on the right was still twisting it's head.

Then I went back to Pup Distress 3 on full volume and as soon as the sitting coyote heard Pup Distress 3 for the second time it jumped up and started running down the hill.

It ran about 100 yards down the hill before the other coyote started down the hill.

When the lead coyote got behind the berm I muted the Pup Distress 3 sound. Just a few seconds later the coyote popped up on top of the berm facing me. Just about 5 seconds later both coyotes were on the berm facing me.

When the first coyote moved broadside I shot it with my 22-250. The other coyote got down behind the berm and got away.

After I walked by my Foxpro and was heading out to get the coyote that I had shot the other coyote started barking at me.

As I walked closer to the berm I spotted the barking coyote about 600 yards away on top of a hill.
IMG_1013 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
While I was taking pictures of the barking coyote a Raven showed up and was messing with the coyote that was barking at me.
IMG_1030 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr

IMG_1038 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
This is exactly how my Fusion and SP-60 speaker were set during this stand. The SP-60 speaker is pointed downwind up the hill and the fusion is pointed out into a big open area against the wind.

I made another 5 stands and heard coyotes on two of them but I didn't get anymore coyotes to show up.

Would love to hunt some open country like that. Great pictures and writeup, Bob, thanks for sharing. Once in a long time I can watch one coming from several hundred yards, but gotta be on a pipeline or other sendero through the brush.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: tripod3love the open ground and yours is such a contrast fresh and green to ours cold white dead.

The sad part is, around here there won't be any green grass after the first part of April. All the ground cover, weeds and grass turns brown.

We never get any rain that does us any good after April. I just talked to the rancher yesterday when I called him to make sure it was alright for me to go out to his ranch to do some calling.

The rancher was very excited because he has got over 5 inches of rain since November.

Great looking country and a great write up. Thanks for the pictures that really helps the story. Nice job and glad to hear you got it done and could watch the coyotes for so long.

Back