Any have the promos alpha dog?

Ghilliedup2

I've had it about 3or 4 years and not all that impressed, its loud and the remote is decent but the sounds on it aren't doing me any good and I don't have much confidence in it bringing any coyotes. I have better luck with my 1 hand call I have. Plus the alpha dog is k isnt super easy to pack around even folded up
I'm thinking about switching to one of the fox pro models that the local Rural King has that run about $100...any advice or suggestions

i have one and just bought a shockwave. and i ant in-pressed with it. its not as loud as my alpha dog and is bigger to pack and you have to Carrie the remote by itself. have you put new sounds on it?

Originally Posted By: Ghilliedup2I'm thinking about switching to one of the fox pro models that the local Rural King has that run about $100...any advice or suggestions

you ask for advice or suggestion. here is mine.

for $100 you will get a $100 caller. it will be at the lowest end of the FoxPro callers. it will be worse than the primos you have now.

if you are going to get one, spend some more and get one higher up on the FoxPro ladder. the fusion is an excellent caller.

Originally Posted By: Ghilliedup2I've had it about 3or 4 years and not all that impressed, its loud and the remote is decent but the sounds on it aren't doing me any good and I don't have much confidence in it bringing any coyotes. I have better luck with my 1 hand call I have. Plus the alpha dog is k isnt super easy to pack around even folded up
I'm thinking about switching to one of the fox pro models that the local Rural King has that run about $100...any advice or suggestions

IMHO it's not the calls fault you're not having much luck.

So you'd say the alpha dog is a decent caller and better than what I'd get in a fox pro for $100 bucks?

Yes I'd agree its normally the hunters fault, however I have pretty good luck when I leave the e caller and take along my hand call only...guess that's why I'm c I'm confused. I know I make much more noise packing the e caller and setting it up versus just getting to my spot and sitting down like I do with the hand call.

Either way I want to get another closed Reed call to use

I got to hunt with Gerald Stewart (Johnny Stewart son) one year at the convention. We alternated using my foxpro and his call with experimental sounds he was trying out. He was in control of both units. Animals were only called using the foxpro. Does that mean his call and or sounds sucked? I think not. It was just luck of the draw. But then again, I can't ask the coyotes that didn't show up either.
Many times I have gone through dry spells that make me question myself, my tactics, and my equipment. Usually it's just animals not responding or not there at that time for whatever reason. But then again, I can't ask the coyotes that didnt show up either.
JMHO.

I agree with the other's if your budget is 100$ you would be better off keeping the unit you currently have.I used to have the same exact caller, I think it's a decent unit for what it is and will definitely call predators.

Thanks for the good advice everyone, I'll stick with the alpha dog and save the $, which as luck would have it my Primos trigger stick cracked and broke so I need a new tripod for calling and I think $100 is about what they cost

Have you added any additional calls to your Alpha Dogg? It Is the only call I have owned, although I have hunted with buddies that run Foxpro’s. IMO the call works, and good! I do not doubt the effectiveness of the Alpha Dogg. If I had one major complain about the call, it would be that it is awkward to pack around. Take your time, learn to use it, set calls in the Favorites folder so they are easier to access, and get your money out of it!

i love my alpha dogg. it has called in a lot of coyotes and i dont leave home without it. I also enjoy my foxpro fx5...both have their own magic.

My friend has a Primos Alpha Dogg and I have a $400 Fox Pro CS24C. When we hunt together we use the Alpha Dogg and leave the CS24 in the truck. Only problem we ever have is after numerous stands on REALLY cold nights it freezes up. The only time we go to the bench and play the Fox Pro LOL. I'd stick with it.

Last edited:
Back