Thinking about slowing down

jetman

JUST a little.
In the 6mm that is.

We are loading Nosler ballistic tip with Superformance.

In my 26" barrel I get right at 4200 fps, but that is "Maxed" out.

Please don't try that at home.

I'm a speed freak and really not worried about barrel life. I plan a re barrel in the future to a real Hot rod.

This load shoots under an inch at 200 yards and practically in one hole at 100, almost no way to improve that.

BUT it's fun to experiment, and gives me a reason to pull the trigger.

We are looking at Varget and a listed load just under 3900 fps out of a 24" platform. A few other powders will put me in to the same ish area. I really don't know what I'm looking for but I'll know when I find it.Wink

Originally Posted By: pyscodogUuuuuuuh, OK.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ackleymanVarget is going to eat your barrel up compared to superperformance. Don't fix what is not broke.

Can you explain this? I haven't heard that before...

Could you please fill in the blanks? What 6mm are you shooting and what bullet to get 4200 FPS? Don't mean to sound sarcastic but 6mm covers a lot of ground unless you mean a standard 6mm Remington.
Thanks!

First Off, My boy does all the "Brass" reloading I do the shotgun reloading.
So I do not know the exact loads.
We check speed with a Magnetospeed so the speeds are AT the muzzle not 10 feet away.
I think the 55 Nosler ballistic tips are loaded very very close to the Max with IMR 8208.
I think the Barnes TTS ,80's, are loaded with Superformance.
Both run very close to or at Max CPU
My junk yard Rifle is an old "Herders" mouser long action and a Used 26" Heavy target barrel I picked up cheep, 1x14.
It was already an AI chamber. 6mm rem.
I got a Sportsman's Warehouse plastic stock and glass bedded it my self.
Other then heaver then crap at 12 pounds with a sling ,scope and 5 shells, it is out standing.

Well, 6mmAI explains 4200fps with a 55gr! I've pushed my 26" .243 to 4100fps with 55gr during load work up but I run them at an even 4000fps.

Originally Posted By: desertcjOriginally Posted By: ackleymanVarget is going to eat your barrel up compared to superperformance. Don't fix what is not broke.

Can you explain this? I haven't heard that before...

Probably comparing ball powder to extruded powders. Supposedly ball should be easier on barrel.

Always heard IMR-4064 could be rough on throats as well. Dunno.

Last edited:
Back