New to kingman,bullhead,S Nevada area

TJ Traylor

Hey all. New to this forum and to the west coast. Spent most of my years in WV,VA area. Have been loving the area for black tail jackrabbits with a pistol and am just starting my journey into coyote calling. Just wanted to see if anyone was interested in this area of Bullhead City,Kingman,or southern Nevada to possibly meet up. I am surrounded by public lands here and southern Nevada. Hardest part for me currently is trying to avoid all the off roaders in the area. Not looking for anyone’s honey hole just possibly someone to get out with as I know no one in the area. Available everyday of the week anytime.

Lots of good hunting in the area. I called my nephews first coyote for him near Searchlight. I used to stay at Cottonwood, Willow Beach and Katherine's Landing and would head out into the BLM land there and called in a few, not hunting the area just calling to see coyotes.

I always thought it would be fun in the winter to put my boat in loaded with my camping gear and spend a week hunting/camping/fishing Lake Mojave, it just might be an untapped area as there are few roads that go all the way down to the lake shore.

I was always just passing through so never really hit it hard.

Good luck to you.

Thanks. I was just looking at the Katherine’s landing area on google earth. I can see there is one trail running into blm land along the power lines. Would be hard to believe that there aren’t any coyotes out in there using the river for water. May be worth the time to Jeep it out as far as I can and start looking around.

Get some BLM maps of the area, they show, public, park, BLM and state lands and many roads and trails but some of them will be closed off or unused for so long they are no longer travelable, a chip for your GPS is handy also. I think there is a BLM office in Kingman, I've gotten mine at the BLM office in Lake Havasu City. Most of my actual hunting has been from Parker to Wickenberg to I-10 and back to Parker triangle, and down around Tucson when the PM convention was there.

North of Katherine's Landing does have some private land also and it isn't marked with fences. There's kind of a sub-division out there.

Use to have pretty good success hunting the areas between the Hoover dam, kingman, and bullhead, especially close to the housing areas.

Originally Posted By: crapshootUse to have pretty good success hunting the areas between the Hoover dam, kingman, and bullhead, especially close to the housing areas.

Off of 68 on the left I’d take it?

The edges of Golden Valley are good. Called a big bobcat there. The last time I was through there the country around Yucca was full of tracks. Twenty-five years ago anything off the end of Stockton hill had lots of coyotes.
Good Hunting

Originally Posted By: TJ TraylorThanks. I was just looking at the Katherine’s landing area on google earth. I can see there is one trail running into blm land along the power lines. Would be hard to believe that there aren’t any coyotes out in there using the river for water. May be worth the time to Jeep it out as far as I can and start looking around.

Welcome to PM and welcome to AZ.

Sounds like you are starting off right, satellite scouting can save you time and money. I would look for water, food and brush. Get all 3 of those within about a 2 mile area and you are going to find yourself in Dog heaven. Cattle or farm fields are good indicators of food and water, but so are neighborhoods.

Since you have found a powerline access trail, start following it. You don't have to drive too far out into the boonies, that is a common myth and misconception. I would start close in, throw a stand, then go a mile and throw another. Keep doing that. We call it Carpet Bombing and it can produce. Now don't expect a coyote every stand. That probably isn't going to happen. I am successful about 1 out of every 3 stands. But that took years to figure out. My first couple of years were pretty tough. But observation really paid off. Seeing them and being able to decipher their patterns has really helped.

Don't over call an area. When they do show up, just remember what call you were using and throw that into your next stand. I use a 3 strikes rule, run 3 stands the same way. If nothing shows up, change something. Volume, add or subtract a call, but change something and run 3 more stands, repeat as necessary.

But get out. Don't wait for a satellite to tell you where to go. Get out there and give it a go. You are in a prime area. You can't swing a dead cat in that area without hitting a coyote that needs shootin. I spent a long time running with guys who claimed to know what they were doing, but I had to go out on my own, try and fail and try again before I connected the "dots" as they were.

Good luck and good hunting...

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: TJ TraylorThanks. I was just looking at the Katherine’s landing area on google earth. I can see there is one trail running into blm land along the power lines. Would be hard to believe that there aren’t any coyotes out in there using the river for water. May be worth the time to Jeep it out as far as I can and start looking around.

Welcome to PM and welcome to AZ.

Sounds like you are starting off right, satellite scouting can save you time and money. I would look for water, food and brush. Get all 3 of those within about a 2 mile area and you are going to find yourself in Dog heaven. Cattle or farm fields are good indicators of food and water, but so are neighborhoods.

Since you have found a powerline access trail, start following it. You don't have to drive too far out into the boonies, that is a common myth and misconception. I would start close in, throw a stand, then go a mile and throw another. Keep doing that. We call it Carpet Bombing and it can produce. Now don't expect a coyote every stand. That probably isn't going to happen. I am successful about 1 out of every 3 stands. But that took years to figure out. My first couple of years were pretty tough. But observation really paid off. Seeing them and being able to decipher their patterns has really helped.

Don't over call an area. When they do show up, just remember what call you were using and throw that into your next stand. I use a 3 strikes rule, run 3 stands the same way. If nothing shows up, change something. Volume, add or subtract a call, but change something and run 3 more stands, repeat as necessary.

But get out. Don't wait for a satellite to tell you where to go. Get out there and give it a go. You are in a prime area. You can't swing a dead cat in that area without hitting a coyote that needs shootin. I spent a long time running with guys who claimed to know what they were doing, but I had to go out on my own, try and fail and try again before I connected the "dots" as they were.

Good luck and good hunting...

Huge thanks for all the tips. Can’t wait to start getting out more and meeting up with a few other locals hopefully. Feeling like I’m already addicted and just getting started lol

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoYou are among friends who have shared the "pains" of coyote hunting.

Super stoked to be here. And finally out west to enjoy these pains hahahaha

TJ I am also a new member to this forum. I've done some calling in the Kingman area. I am from Minnesota, but am a frequent visitor in the Lake Havasu area. Getting close to retiring, and will be spending more time there. the Kingman area and actually all of Arizona is a predator callers paradise. lots of coyotes and quite a few cats and gray fox. Not to mention all that BLM land. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
I only wish you could still trap in Arizona. I'd probably already be retired if you could.
Good luck calling.

Originally Posted By: FlesherTJ I am also a new member to this forum. I've done some calling in the Kingman area. I am from Minnesota, but am a frequent visitor in the Lake Havasu area. Getting close to retiring, and will be spending more time there. the Kingman area and actually all of Arizona is a predator callers paradise. lots of coyotes and quite a few cats and gray fox. Not to mention all that BLM land. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
I only wish you could still trap in Arizona. I'd probably already be retired if you could.
Good luck calling.

Good to see you here. Lots of great info on here and tons to read. Already met a couple cool guys to possibly hunt with and learn. Next time you are around be sure to hit me up. I’m always down to hunt

Back