25-300 wsm

Do you neck down 270 wsm brass or are you using 300 wsm brass ?
im new to this caliber so i have lots of questions if you dont mind helping me i would greatly appreciate the help .

Just wondering- wouldn't this be about the same power as .257 Weatherby Mag is? I like wildcats and have had a few but for this I wonder what the benefit is.

Originally Posted By: RustydustJust wondering- wouldn't this be about the same power as .257 Weatherby Mag is? I like wildcats and have had a few but for this I wonder what the benefit is.

Probably one of the biggest benefits is it could run in a short action as a repeater and not eat up a ton of case capacity, but to your point, they'd be real similar otherwise.

Originally Posted By: RustydustJust wondering- wouldn't this be about the same power as .257 Weatherby Mag is? I like wildcats and have had a few but for this I wonder what the benefit is.
It is similar to the 257 Weatherby, benefits are short action, no belt on the case, don't have to use Weatherby brass, less powder helps with barrel wear, and the biggest is I already had the action.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: tonyprovinDo you neck down 270 wsm brass or are you using 300 wsm brass ?
im new to this caliber so i have lots of questions if you dont mind helping me i would greatly appreciate the help .
Yes, I neck down 270 WSM brass. I have to neck turn a little and clean up the donut on the inside or they get hard to chamber after a couple of loads. I used starting loads for 270 WSM with 140/150 grain bullets to start. IMR 7828 SC and H1000 are the powders that worked best. I settled on H1000 with a magnum primer.

so you used starting loads of 270 wsm ?
would it matter is i started their as well even though i only planning on using a 100 grain nosler ballistic tip ?

Originally Posted By: tonyprovinso you used starting loads of 270 wsm ?
would it matter is i started their as well even though i only planning on using a 100 grain nosler ballistic tip ?
If using 100 grain bullets I would use the 270 WSM starting load data for 130 grain bullets. That allows for the reduction in neck size from 270 to 257. A little faster powder might work better for the 100 grain, not sure haven't tried it.

ok my next question would be shilen offers this chamber in a .264 and a .287 neck turn diameter.
they dont offer that barrel in a no neck turn.
so based on that which one would you go with ? the .264 or the .287 ? using the 100 grain nosler

Originally Posted By: tonyprovinok my next question would be shilen offers this chamber in a .264 and a .287 neck turn diameter.
so based on that which one would you go with ? the .264 or the .287 ? using the 100 grain nosler

I just measured mine and I am at .288 and that is really just cleaning up the high spots so .287 should be great. .264 would really be thinning out the neck.

Not sure what your plans are for this build but the new 6.5 PRC would be less hassle. Give up a little velocity but gain a heavier and better BC bullet. I will probably shift to that when this barrel goes. Just a thought.

my only plan was to build a super fast 25 caliber in a short action.
6.5 prc brass is impossible to find around here.
Do you like your 25-300 wsm ?

Originally Posted By: tonyprovinok my next question would be shilen offers this chamber in a .264 and a .287 neck turn diameter.

I just read their chambering/caliber list and I did not see a .264" neck listed for the 25-300wsm. It reads 25-300 wsm (264wsm).287" Also it reads may or may not need turning.

How much experience you have in reloading or wildcats in general ?

Last edited:
Back