Looking for suggestions in hunting deep snow

Ochocobull

I have been doing the typical coyote hunting thing for a long time now. This usually means staying in areas that can be traveled during the winter. I don't mean plowed but usually a foot or less of snow on the roads. Most guys can get around in this with their normal everyday vehicles. While it is great that the sport is gaining in popularity I have also noticed that this of course means more people. I am pretty solitary by nature which is why I really like hunting coyotes in the winter. This has got me thinking of ways to get away from the crowds. I am tossing around the idea of getting a side by side and putting tracks on it and going where most people can't, up where the snow is deeper.

In the winter we typically have anywhere between 4 to 8 feet of snow up higher and the last couple of years I have taken a snowmobile out just to do some scouting. Seems to be lots of tracks but to be honest I don't know if it is worth it. I did call a couple of times but I wasn't that impressed with the outcome. However like anything else I believe I would get better at it with time.

I was hoping some of you die hard guys hunt like this or have suggestions for how best to hunt in the deep snow. I am also thinking of spending a night or two out there but of course that would mean more preparation and probably a trip back to the forum for more advice.

So any advice from you guys who hunt in the deep snow would truly be appreciated. Thanks again and I am looking forward to your replies. If you need anything from me please let me know.

If it's deep and fluffy try and find areas that are easier for coyote to travel. If it is deep and crusty find areas that will hold pheasants, quail and rabbits. Juniper thickets, Russian Olive thickets, cattail marshes. I hunt them on skis, it makes for a nice quiet approach.

I try to call where cattle feed equipment has broken a trail or where I've driven in days before. They use those paths.
Crusted snow helps a lot but I can't count on it much.

Thank you guys I really appreciate all the help. I like the skis idea AWS that is a great idea. Although if you saw me on anything that takes coordination you would probably laugh. I will for sure use your suggestions. Thanks again for all the help.

Back