Barrels and gas system length?'s

GWHunter

Going to build a dedicated hunting AR. Currently shooting a 16" barrel carbine length AR that I use as an all around plinking AR. How much of a difference in recoil should I experience in either going with an 18" and rifle length system vs a 16" mid-length system? Hunting in SW PA the shots aren't very far under 200 yards. Looking to keep it fairly light weight as it will be carried alot.

The recoil pulse in the rifle length systems in my experience is a lot softer. While working up loads and focusing in the sight picture it is a sharper rap from the carbines. I doubt you’d notice any difference inthe field. A good muzzle btake would help but they are deafening without hearing protection and IMO unkind to anyone sitting near youon a stand. I’m sure Ive missed a few running shots because I dont use a brake to steady the muzzle flip.
Go with 18” rifle system and consider a fluted barrel to reduce some of the weight.

That was I was hoping to do. Might try a linear brake, hoping it won't be as loud, if it is I might just cap it with thread protector. I'm hoping a suppressor is in my future so I want to keep it threaded.

I like the Levang style brakes. They don't do anything for recoil but somewhat direct the muzzle blast forward. A longer barrel does the same thing. The brakes help keep dirt, snow, etc out of the muzzle and protect the crown.

Originally Posted By: GWHunterGoing to build a dedicated hunting AR. Currently shooting a 16" barrel carbine length AR that I use as an all around plinking AR. How much of a difference in recoil should I experience in either going with an 18" and rifle length system vs a 16" mid-length system? Hunting in SW PA the shots aren't very far under 200 yards. Looking to keep it fairly light weight as it will be carried alot.

18in rifle gas systems are softer shooting, but can be a pain to try and get to work correctly/tune. If you're going to go with 18in, I would recommend a mid length gas system. It will still shoot soft enough, but will be a lot easier to get it to cycle correctly.

I learned one this year. I bought a 16in/300 BO upper.
It had a pistol gas tube. So, I could shoot subsonic, better.
It was a side charger too.

I, too, bought a 300BLK upper with a pistol length system. Recoil isn't much but muzzle flip is rather annoying. I don't plan on shooting suppressed, so I'm considering changing it to a carbine.

The 18 inch with rifle length gas is the softest shooting combo of them all. It also gives the brass time to swell back down so the BCG does not have to rip the case out. It seems to be a touch more quiet, and really makes good use out of the last bit of huge velocity gains per barrel inch.

My old MK12 used the carbine buffer tube assembly with a carbine weight buffer. Softest rifle i ever shot.

You may consider just buying a complete rifle set up by a good manufacturer. The variables are in the gas port diameter and the buffer tube assembly set up.

Originally Posted By: GWHunterEven if I used an adjustable gas block and JP silent buffer system?

Silent buffers really have no bearing on the gas system. As for an adjustable block, you have to have enough gas to begin with. The dwell timing is so very short on a RLG on an 18in barrel, it can be very tricky to get just right. I have built many of them for customers as they are popular with 3 gun shooters. Getting them to run just right is a chore. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but it isn't that easy. Tuning them for a single ammunition isn't nearly as hard as from some customers that want them to be able to run any junk ammo they throw in there.

Again, while it can be done, and RLG 18in barrels are soft shooting, I would lean towards the mid-length gas system. Most guys can't tell the difference between a mid and an RLG system.

I would second those thoughts and experiences Sno. They aren't near as flexible as other combinations. I know my way around 3Gun and you hit the nail on the head.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI would second those thoughts and experiences Sno. They aren't near as flexible as other combinations. I know my way around 3Gun and you hit the nail on the head.

Greg

You certainly do sir. Thanks,

Mo

Back