New Predator Hunter

coletrain7

Hey guys, names Cole. Me and my buddy recently decided we’re going to give predator hunting a shot. We have about 5 different properties in Ohio we can hunt. We both have been deer and turkey hunting for many years, and gonna go out this Saturday. Any tips to increase our chances our first time out, such as what sounds to use. Is it better to use coyote vocals or prey distress this time of year. Thanks in advance.

First focus more on which way the wind is blowing, not being seen or heard approaching then get positioned and wait a few minutes to let the birds get to chirping again before starting calling. I usually start out with a male challenge howl or female invitation howl during breeding season. In a virgin area prey distress sounds should do the trick. If there are other callers then bird or rodent distress or even fox distress. When all else fails I end on pup distress.

If you have a lot of cover, start with a low volume then increase as you go into the call sequence. Many times they may be closer than you think and you don't want to blow them out of their beds shall we say

New coyote hunters worry about what sounds to make and what gun to take. Old coyote hunters work on locating a coyote to call and then exactly where to call from to get the coyote into a position to kill it.

Welcome to the insanity.

I would recommend finding more properties to add to your list. 5 isn't a lot. Sound carries quite a bit. My partner and I have tested it and we can hear each other from 1 mile out to 1-1/2 mile. If we can hear that far, they can hear farther. I usually go a mile between stands.

As for set up, set up with the wind across one shoulder or the other and set up to where you can watch downwind as well as the caller. I like to set my call out about 75-80 yards if I am using a rifle, maybe 50-60 if I am running a shotgun that way if a coyote comes up from downwind to take a look I will see them and I might get a shot. But if they try circling I can also get a shot.

As for sounds, prey calls work just fine this time of year. Howls can be harder to get dialed in on. This time of year I start using a female invitation howl and then wait 4-5 minutes without a sound. IF you get a response, such as them echoing your howl, throw it out again and then go to a high pitched call like a rodent or a bird and give them something to focus in on. If they challenge, you challenge right back.

Good luck...

Originally Posted By: GCNew coyote hunters worry about what sounds to make and what gun to take. Old coyote hunters work on locating a coyote to call and then exactly where to call from to get the coyote into a position to kill it.

This says it all! Nothing else happens without this
wink.gif

don't get to worried about what sounds to play or how to make a proper call sequence, just stick to playing a jack or cottontail distress a minute long with 5 min pause between calls.

Yes watch the wind constantly, you never want your scent to drift into the area you intend to call. coyotes will generally always circle down wind when coming in so call cross wind and have a good view of your down wind.

KEEP STILL they have keen eyes and will pick you out right away if your shuffling around and making more than necessary movements

KEEP QUIET from the moment you turn off the truck until you get back, don't slam doors or make noise on barbwire fences.

HAVE FUN enjoy the scenery and the experience you will see a lot out in the great out doors. lastly always learn something from each stand experience is a good teacher.

cheers

Thank you very much, I kind of figured it would be a struggle for awhile just like when I completely learned how to call in Turkeys, first couple years was all trial and error with no success and now I can consistently call in Turkeys every year. It’s very frustrating but you feel a greater sense of accomplishment. Hopefully I can gain enough knowledge to be consistent with predators.

Think about coyotes as four year old gobblers on public land, only these things also have an extremely good sense of smell. If you are a turkey hunter you know how important it is to locate a gobbler, get close and choose a set up location where you can kill that bird. About the same - same. Heavy emphasis on that scenting ability.

Originally Posted By: coletrain7Thank you very much, I kind of figured it would be a struggle for awhile just like when I completely learned how to call in Turkeys, first couple years was all trial and error with no success and now I can consistently call in Turkeys every year. It’s very frustrating but you feel a greater sense of accomplishment. Hopefully I can gain enough knowledge to be consistent with predators.

It can be very frustrating. I started years ago with a friend who "claimed" to know how to call. Very first stand ever and we called in a fox and I was hooked. But that began 2 years of PAIN. We would see predators but something always happened. It wasn't until I went out on my own and started to incorporate the things that I had seen that I became successful.

You have come to the right place. There are a LOT of good predator hunters on this forum. They are very forthcoming with tips and tactics. But none of us has the magic wand. Despite what you may see on videos, it is a lot of work, we just make it look easy.

Back