Gray fox...first in a long time

Switch

Back when I started taking my daughter hunting, we stumbled on a nice gray fox spot pretty close to our house. We'd make quick trips out. She would do the calling and I'd do the shooting. We knocked down quite a few foxes back there.

Unfortunately, the area got torched during a fire about six years ago and hasn't been the same since. No bushes, no prey and no habitat.

Last week I stopped by there and noticed some tracks in and around the area. I pulled in and found a good spot to sit with the new brush popping up. Only two minutes on the Dan Thompson hand call and this little beauty came hauling in and I dropped her with the Browning Silver hunter. I'm glad they're back. A good hunt.

2547.jpg

2548.jpg

Originally Posted By: SpidicusWhat distance was it. I've never tried shotgun with predators..

If you’ve never tried shotgunning for predators, you have to give it a try. Everything happens fast and close. The fox was about 20-feet from the muzzle.

Originally Posted By: SpidicusWhat distance was it. I've never tried shotgun with predators..

Most of the greys I take with a shotgun are between 25-60 yards. I run a Mossberg 500, with a Dead Coyote choke, running Remington #4 buckshot.

Greys will come in to the same sounds as coyotes and bobcats, they seem to be a bit more volume sensitive. Don't forget to use fox distress calls at the end of your stand. If they don
t come to prey calls they will often show up to fox distress calls.

A typical fox stand moves the call out about 45 yards or so, and up into a tree, pointed at the sky. Most of our foxes come in from the sides of the call, so set up where you can watch the sides.

Back