In search of suggestions - Longe range Nightforcee Scope

Mr. Poppadopalis

Looking for suggestions on a Nightforce Scope out past 600 yards.

It will go on top of my Savage .243 which i currently shoot Hornady Superformance Vmax 58grain.

Also wondering if a heavier grain bullet will do less (Coyote) pelt damage than a 58grain??

Main use for this set up will be Coyotes in Wyoming, Nebraska and Colorado.

Please post your thoughts on which Nightforce (looking at the NXS 5.5x22x50.

Thank you!

The NF NXS series is a great scope, I have quite a few of them and can tell you first hand, they're a workhorse and they'll never let you down.

But, having said that, unless you will be dialing a lot for your shots, I wouldn't put a NF on. That is nothing against NF scopes, like I said, I've got quite a few of them and they're great, but their strength is in their spot on tracking and repeatability. If you'll be using the scope for that kind of shooting, a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 is an excellent choice.

Originally Posted By: B23The NF NXS series is a great scope, I have quite a few of them and can tell you first hand, they're a workhorse and they'll never let you down.

But, having said that, unless you will be dialing a lot for your shots, I wouldn't put a NF on. That is nothing against NF scopes, like I said, I've got quite a few of them and they're great, but their strength is in their spot on tracking and repeatability. If you'll be using the scope for that kind of shooting, a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 is an excellent choice.

Any suggestions other than NF???

I have a NXS 3.5x 15 on my rock chuck rifle and love it. I've only dialed it out to 500 yards on chucks. But wouldn't hesitate to take it alot further and it's built like a tank.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: B23The NF NXS series is a great scope, I have quite a few of them and can tell you first hand, they're a workhorse and they'll never let you down.

The Leupold VX6HD and VX5HD are both real nice scopes. I have a non HD VX6 on my 20-250 and I'm happy with it, the newer HD models have even better optics than the one I have. You can get them with a variety of different reticles that should work well for holdover shooting and coyotes don't always give you enough time to, range, dial, then shoot.

I have 2 NF 5.5-22x50. They are great for dialing long distance, I was shooting 1100 yards the other day. If not dialing I usually go with Leupold.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: B23The NF NXS series is a great scope, I have quite a few of them and can tell you first hand, they're a workhorse and they'll never let you down.

Sightron LR SIII with the new zero stop are pretty nice for about half price of the NF. Their #25168 model would be comparable to the NXS your looking at.
MidwayUSA got a deal on a Vortex 3-15 44mm PST Viper gen II for $675.

That’s going to be a nice one and a heck of a deal on it, Mr. P. Is it the 5-25 ffp model? Looks like it gets great reviews compared to the NF!

Originally Posted By: McGrawThat’s going to be a nice one and a heck of a deal on it, Mr. P. Is it the 5-25 ffp model? Looks like it gets great reviews compared to the NF!

5x25x50 SCR MOA

The NXS 5.5-22x56 with the MOART reticle for just about everything, the SHV 4-16x56 MOAR is also a great choice if you need capped turrets.

I would rather have lower than 5.5 on the bottom end. As light gets low you need to realize that a scope that is 6x42 or 7x50 or 8x56 is at its brightest any power higher will look increasingly grey in low light. In bright daylight you can use those higher powers but getting onto a target at 22x is not a lightning fast thing like at lower powers. I would probably want a first focal plane scope and a Christmas tree type Horus reticle to hold over rather than dial in if distance was going to vary greatly. You really need to match the bullet weight with the twist of the barrel. I know GAPrecision does some heavy bullets in .243 but not sure which twist they are using. I tend to think you would get more damage with a light fast bullet but distance to target makes a huge difference in how bullet weights handle because a heavy bullet will retain significantly more energy at long range but it will have a steeper trajectory where the light fast bullet travels farther before it drops. The other factor is that wind tends to blow lighter bullets around more than heavy ones. 600 and past is a long way to target and the target can move in the time it takes a bullet to travel that distance so you have a nice challenge ahead of you. I wish you the best. As for optics I tend to really like my US Optics B17

Back